Garbage on Facebook

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Re: Garbage on Facebook

Post by Diddy »

My newly elected state representative now has up the required picture of her shooting an AR-15 on her facebook

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Bullying is infuriating. That said I told my son to never fight a bully that was picking on him. Just walk away. But if someone was picking on his friends he should confront the bully and more or less call him out as a piece of [expletive]. Then be prepared to [expletive] fight. And, if nothing else, question his manhood if he doesn’t want to throw hands.

Now is that great parenting or terrible parenting, I don’t know. But I do know a group of friends standing up for each other will stop bullies dead in their tracks.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

But really what options do parents have? Go to the school and ask them to what...watch their kid like a hawk? Please. It’s school. And if they devote one teacher to watch over a single kid, what’s going to happen to the rest of the kids? Schools are really in a tough spot. Yeah they should be safe but kids are [expletive] ass holes and have been since the beginning of time and will continue to be until the end of time. Is 30-40 year olds can kvetch and moan all we want about how it shouldn’t happen. But it will happen.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:But really what options do parents have? Go to the school and ask them to what...watch their kid like a hawk? Please. It’s school. And if they devote one teacher to watch over a single kid, what’s going to happen to the rest of the kids? Schools are really in a tough spot. Yeah they should be safe but kids are [expletive] ass holes and have been since the beginning of time and will continue to be until the end of time. Is 30-40 year olds can kvetch and moan all we want about how it shouldn’t happen. But it will happen.
School situations can be tough, but there are some things that can be tried. Give the school a heads up on an ongoing bullying situation. With little kids, the playground and lunch room can be the spot, but as they get older, surprising how much happens during class time, because thats where kids are bored and idle. Change of seat arrangements, or even switching classes can help.

Best to get to know your school admin contacts. If you have a situation, you can't go in all hot to the school. Firm but rational, because think of how many kooks for parents they deal with.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

We’ve found the library and restrooms to be hot spots as well, even PE. At least with the younger ages. The pattern we’ve seen is that their home room teachers do a pretty job of preventing or controlling bullying, but when they go to another teacher that doesn’t spend as much time with the students the bullies see that as an opportunity.

It’s a small number of kids that we have trouble and we’ve been able to identify those individuals pretty well I feel. but it’s amazing the lengths they will go to and the creativity to bully someone.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I know you can’t make your kids not be bullies but i often wonder how many parents address their own children. I made it very clear to my step son and my daughter that harassing other people was not OK and in fact doing so reflected very poorly on the person doing it.

What I actually said was something probably more along the lines of ‘ if I hear about you bowling another kid, you’ve got me to deal with.’

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

FB keeps asking for my personal info -where I live, hobbies, alma maters etc, like they don't know and haven't sold all that off thousands of times over .

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

After reading Zuckerberg saying Facebook would use crowd-sourced fact checking, i rolled my eyes, downloaded my facebook data, and permenantly deleted my account. Enough.

Everything I need, I get from GRB anyway.

Day-after edit: You can't win. I tell people at work I deleted my account to find out my boss, who I like, is a 2nd amendment conspiracy theorist saying Facebook has an agenda against gun owners.

sigh....

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

jfk, my old college friends have found me. I "friend" one that I am reasonably confident is a cool dude, but then get requests from 3 more that could very easily be MAGA white supremacists. is there a way to keep tamp down the networking horsecrap?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Just looked at Facebook for the first time in a few days. What I saw was approximately:

35% people talking about Game of Thrones.
25% people complaining about people talking about Game of Thrones.

Look. If you really love Game of Thrones. And something happens, like, your aunt dies or you had a 36-hour work emergency, or whatever, and it means you're going to have to watch Game of Thrones a day or two or three after the rest of the world.....maybe just stay off social media for a couple days?