2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Fat Strat wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Big time upgrade, but I mean, this guy is one of the top catchers in the game. Messed up that both he and Donaldson got one year deals.

Collusion? Something is off.
If good players are falling to those levels, we need to grab a SP ASAP. You can find fault with the guys left, but we could really make great use of Keuchel for a year or two. And a somewhat lucky bump to more elite levels playing in a pitcher's park could push us into championship contention. Not as good on paper as, say, the Dodgers, but more than a puncher's chance.

I am starting to think that we should keep Gyorko and Martinez, add a SP and just freaking go for it. Then let our 2020 play free agency nightmare play out and go from there.
We still need an RFer if this is an "all-in" season for the Cardinals.

Like you said, next offseason, many good players will be gonzo. Ozuna, Goldschmidt, Mikolas. (operationally speaking--yes we may sign one or more) Carpenter and Molina on their final years. Is DeWitt planning to sell? Could see him cashing in after BPV2 is done. It doesn't make sense not to have many long term commitments. And yes, I am not counting Fowler as a cornerstone here. We paid premium hoping for two good seasons on him anyways. Got one. Hopefully another but I won't hold my breath.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Nats edge ever closer to the luxury tax threshold. This should leave them around $6M away.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Hoot45 wrote:Nats edge ever closer to the luxury tax threshold. This should leave them around $6M away.
Cardinals absolutely need to sign Harper if his value freefalls.

If Machado signs first, we should easily be able to see what Harper will command. It will likely be a similar deal, unless teams keep pushing back. Pitchers and catchers report in 5 weeks.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The Nats really wouldn't have been in that much better shape to sign Harper without this $9 million contract. They'd were $15 million away versus $6 million away? Harper's getting a lot more than both of those numbers.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

pioneer98 wrote:The Nats really wouldn't have been in that much better shape to sign Harper without this $9 million contract. They'd were $15 million away versus $6 million away? Harper's getting a lot more than both of those numbers.
Nats spend to win.

Some teams are treated like conspicuous consumption/pet projects for billionaires and some are treated like a business/making profit. I think the Nats want to win and don't mind spending to get there. Similar operationally to the Giants.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Nats edge ever closer to the luxury tax threshold. This should leave them around $6M away.
Cardinals absolutely need to sign Harper if his value freefalls.

If Machado signs first, we should easily be able to see what Harper will command. It will likely be a similar deal, unless teams keep pushing back. Pitchers and catchers report in 5 weeks.
I don't think Harper's value is going to freefall. Boras is doing what Boras does, but the White Sox, Yanks, Dodgers, Phils aren't going to let him get below a certain threshold that would still probably be beyond (to use Goold's favorite phrase recently) puke point. You can disagree, that's fine. We've been around that barn a hundred times. Outside of Harper in RF, I don't know that I see anything appealing on the FA market. (I'm eliminating trades, because it would be about taking advantage of a unique, discounted opportunity to splurge rather than splurging at market prices).

That's why I point to SP. With Fowler, O'Neill, and Martinez in house, RF already has three options all of whom either need to be or have to be on the roster. SP is an easier place to splurge without completely displacing someone you want around. Adding Keuchel probably sends Mayers or Ponce to Memphis. Hardly noteworthy.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Depending on the asking price, Jed Lowrie would be a great MI platoon bat. Hits better as a lefty over the last couple of seasons.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Popeye_Card wrote:Depending on the asking price, Jed Lowrie would be a great MI platoon bat. Hits better as a lefty over the last couple of seasons.
Goold mentioned Lowrie and Asdrubal Cabrera (I think) as possibilities as left handed Munoz/Robinson replacements. It just depends on the playing time they demand. That's what seems to be keeping us from finishing out the bench the way that we want.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

So Kyler Murray is going to enter the NFL draft?

I think it is a crazy decision if he actually does it.