‘19 HoF ballot: Rivera 100%, Halladay, Edgar, Mussina in

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: ‘19 HoF ballot (best guess); Ballots coming in now

Post by 33anda3rd »

There are two things I think will happen.

Edgar will get in because "If Baines is a HOFer, then Edgar is a HOFer."

Someone will leave Rivera off their ballot because "If Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous, no one is unanimous."

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
a day ago

If you were granted an extra 2 votes, who would you have voted for?
Tom

a day ago

Bonds and Clemens. I've set that standard. I've written about it. I must hold true to it.
Derrick Goold
here is the standard he sets for himself or uses or whatever
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 296bd.html
For those of you with long memories, did Goold hold the PED guys feet to the fire when they were still playing? Or is this strong sense of morality something he's only discovered at the same time everyone else did? I think his recent political tweets indicate why he's a bit higher on Schilling than some of his journalist brethren, anyway.

The more stuff like this happens, and Baines getting in, the less I find myself caring about any of it. I admire Jay Jaffe's writing on the subject, but I just can't care about the weird twisted moralities of the BBWAA any more.
You could just read Goold’s piece on his HofF criteria instead of speculating that his politics lead him to favor Schilling (also bc I’m pretty sure you’d be wrong about that).
Or you could observe his very obvious political bias in his social media activity, and not need to speculate at all. And what his article about his vote doesn't mention is if he's always been opposed to PED use, or only in recent years. Because if he wasn't, then he's another boring baseball journalist hypocrite.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

can you link some of his political tweets/bias?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:can you link some of his political tweets/bias?
There's this one... The comments are hilarious

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

struggling to see a bias in that 1. some wordplay perhaps, a joke depending on ones humor. even so not sure how that would alter ones reporting on baseball. whatever.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:struggling to see a bias in that 1. some wordplay perhaps, a joke depending on ones humor. even so not sure how that would alter ones reporting on baseball. whatever.
I didn't see bias in it but it was something to do with politics. I couldn't find any others. I didn't look that hard though.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

My specific reference was his endless retweeting of right-wing political figures during the midterms in November. I admit to knowing nothing about his political views, I'm just going by the "company" he keeps. It seems uncontroversial to state that it's more likely for right-wingers to want to defend a fellow right-winger, as I might do for someone on the left (should one of them ever advocate for the lynching of journalists).

But, it's all supposition, and clearly few / no people agree with me. I'm sure Goold is an entirely impartial observer, was critical of PED users all the way back when McGwire was smacking dingers all over Busch 2, and should not have any allegations of bias appended to his HOF choices.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Waino liked this; among others of course.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Famous Mortimer wrote:My specific reference was his endless retweeting of right-wing political figures during the midterms in November. I admit to knowing nothing about his political views, I'm just going by the "company" he keeps. It seems uncontroversial to state that it's more likely for right-wingers to want to defend a fellow right-winger, as I might do for someone on the left (should one of them ever advocate for the lynching of journalists).

But, it's all supposition, and clearly few / no people agree with me. I'm sure Goold is an entirely impartial observer, was critical of PED users all the way back when McGwire was smacking dingers all over Busch 2, and should not have any allegations of bias appended to his HOF choices.

I didn’t see any of dgoold’s endless RTing of right wing pols actually. I tried to go back through his TL to find it but couldn’t go back far enough into Nov. Are you sure you got the right guy? Doesn’t sound like him at all.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

lukethedrifter wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:My specific reference was his endless retweeting of right-wing political figures during the midterms in November. I admit to knowing nothing about his political views, I'm just going by the "company" he keeps. It seems uncontroversial to state that it's more likely for right-wingers to want to defend a fellow right-winger, as I might do for someone on the left (should one of them ever advocate for the lynching of journalists).

I didn’t see any of dgoold’s endless RTing of right wing pols actually. I tried to go back through his TL to find it but couldn’t go back far enough into Nov. Are you sure you got the right guy? Doesn’t sound like him at all.
Yes. But I didn't take screenshots as it's not that big a deal to me. I'll happily withdraw the scurrilous allegation because arguing about the political beliefs of a journalist I don't read any more is not in my top million of fun things to do.