Machado

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Machado

Post by JCShutout »

Machado is def the better long term fit. Its more difficult to find an elite 3b than LF/RF. You may already have that in a healthy Ozuna if you resign him.

I'd sign Machado and trade Marp in a minute. (Sorry Marp)

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If Machado were signed; I think Wong would become the odd man out and Carp moves to 2B. Wong would be traded or a bench player. But they aren't signing Machado so it's all just gumflapping.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Get er done Mo

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the White Sox have made an eight-year contract offer to free agent superstar Manny Machado.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported earlier in the day that the White Sox had made an offer to Machado "for about $200 million", and now we learn that it's for an eight-year pact. The White Sox have been steadfast in their reluctance to go to 10 years on the contract, and reportedly they're nowhere near the $300 million threshold that Machado had been hoping for. Unless a vaunted mystery team comes into play, or the Yankees jump back into the mix, it looks like the battle for Machado will come down to the White Sox and Phillies.
If the leading offer really is 8/200, someone (I'd love it to be the Cardinals, but I'm a realist) should beat that on years or money.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

heyzeus wrote:If the leading offer really is 8/200, someone (I'd love it to be the Cardinals, but I'm a realist) should beat that on years or money.
That's a really similar deal to Jason Heyward, which isn't too surprising considering that they're incredibly similar players. They both hit the market after their age 25 season with around 30 career WAR that's heavy on fielding value (+75-100). Machado put up better hitting numbers pre-free agency, but not as much as you'd think (114 vs 121 OPS+). I certainly wouldn't expect Machado to fall off a cliff, but I found the similarity amusing.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I'm telling you all, Machado attending Willie McGee and Yadier Molina Charm School will be all he needs to win this fanbase over. He will be *our* hot head.

I wouldn't move Carpenter either. I'd just put Machado at short. DeJong should move around before Carpenter.

DeJong has surprised us and overachieved but he's still a 6/27 BB/K guy like Grichuk. At some point we will see the downside of that kind of hitting profile. He was developed to be a super utility player, he was a former catcher moved to third and then forced into SS role because Diaz fell off the planet. DeJong in the Zobrist role. Use ST to get LF time. Play him at 2B against lefties.

Yes, this likely doesn't happen. But it should and would help the team.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

CardsofSTL wrote: Get er done Mo
Does ANYBODY report mystery team more often than Jon Heyman?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reports that Manny Machado's offer from the White Sox remains at seven years.
There's some contrasting information out there at the moment, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today backs up Levine's report of seven years. However, Jeff Passan of ESPN.com reported late Sunday that Chicago offered eight years to Machado, with Z101Digital’s Hector Gomez adding that it's worth $250 million. Either way, Machado is still a free agent and surely wants something closer to 10 years and $300 million. The wait continues.
Related: White Sox
Source: 670 The Score
Jan 14 - 11:58 AM

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The Specter of Jason Heyward’s Contract Looms Over Manny Machado
by Craig Edwards
January 14, 2019
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-specter ... y-machado/
Three winters ago, Jason Heyward was a young free agent, a relative rarity as most players make their debuts at 23 years old or older, while many other young stars sign contract extensions prolonging the wait to hit the open market. Heyward debuted at just 20 years old on Opening Day back in 2010 and moved through the arbitration process to become a free agent heading into his age-26 season. There hadn’t been a free agent like Heyward — that young and that accomplished — in more than a decade. Three seasons later, Heyward has put up just four wins rather than the four wins per year that was expected. And now a very similar player in Manny Machado is hitting free agency, and might not be receiving the offers he expected.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I kind of love that people are looking at Heyward like YOU DID THIS.