Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Getting into shape

Post by JCShutout »

Fat Strat wrote:
JCShutout wrote:The fam went to Harry Potter world at Universal Studios this past Wed through Sun. There were two meals where I could tell the meat had some sugar on it, which I couldn't help, (unless I didn't eat there and made everyone feel awkward) but otherwise meat and low carb veggies. It wasn't too hard, and other than one time when my wife got a jacket potato, I didn't feel like I was restricting myself. I did take the tinyest sip of butterbeer, which is pure sugar, but ended up spitting it out. Too sweet. Same with the fire whiskey. Its like they took cheap whiskey and added cinnamon and sugar. Gave it to the wife after a sip.

Basically carried nuts and jerky with me all day.
We were there the exact same period.

I ate the food unapologetically.

But I also walked 8 hours a day. And lost a pound from Dec. 24-Jan. 2, which is not bad at all for a holiday with a vacation.

Onward I go. Since Thanksgiving, my most recent run at tracking calories and intentional eating, I am down 6 lbs. trying to do about 1.5 per week on average and should be well under 200 by March/April’ish.

Oh yeah, and my son just earned his black belt last month! 14 years old and looking sharp. I should test for blue in February or so. Hips are very tight, so roundhouse continues to be a huge challenge. Any front kicks - front crescent, ax, etc. are head high plus, but I really struggle with turning my foot over on round and getting much over waist high on side kicks. But, working on it...
That's so funny. We had a blast. I'm sure you didn't see us since there were 97,492 people there, but I wore a brown leather ivy cap each day, and we had lanyards that my wife crocheted in HP house colors-like scarves. (Only noteworthy because we literally had almost 100 people approach us and ask about the lanyards) So if you remember any of that, you saw us.

Grats for your son! I'm sure he's heard many lectures similar to this but black belt means its time to start again at fundamentals. Does he compete in poomsae, breaking and/or sparring? As for your hips, just keep at them. Try some hip stretches each day. They'll loosen up but it will take awhile. Also, the higher you can lift your knee/thigh before turning your hip will elevate your roundhouse. (Actually a good tip for literally every single kick... well, except the axe kick lol) Squats and core work will help there.

Yeah, all that walking was great. (I also did a strength training session in the hotel workout room, some poomsae in the park near the water in the Jurassic Park area-and got videoed by random people-and did a rockwall climbing thing near where the Blues Brothers had their show) I dropped like 3 lbs that week.

I haven't been as good at tracking calories. Its still hard considering we cook from scratch so I don't always have exact amounts of what was made, but its only an issue at dinner.

Down a total of around 14-16 lbs or so since the Mon after Thanksgiving, (just under 7 weeks) even though I know I've been over my calorie goals many/most days. I'm guessing that's because the keto calculator I used had only a few options for physical activity, and I had to choose between "hard workout 6-7 days/week" and "Strength training 3-4 days/week." I chose the 3-4 days one and I workout way more than that, but I didn't think I'd qualify for the top one.

Either that or, as I've argued in here before, not all calories are created equally.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Tim wrote:Tilted the scales at 200lbs this morning

I’m going to use this thread as accountability. I’m feeling lazy, I’ve got reflux and eat like crap.

I leave on a long weekend for the anniversary March 31 ~ 12 weeks.

I want to lose a lb a week. No reason I can’t. 188lbs by 3.31.19
1..6.19 - 196.8lb

Some water weight is off it seems. Hard stuff starts now.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Tim wrote:

I’m going to use this thread as accountability. I’m feeling lazy, I’ve got reflux and eat like crap.

1..6.19 - 196.8lb

1.13.19 - 196.8lb
Ugh no change

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The Marine Corps May Swap Crunches For Planks On PFT
https://taskandpurpose.com/marine-physi ... est-planks
For those of us who remember peeking to the left and right during the crunches section of the PFT and seeing, well, let's call it "questionable form" and "imaginative counting," from our peers, it seems like the jig is up. At least, that's the thrust of the Marine Corps Times' piece: That swapping crunches with planks might alleviate concerns over cheating.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Tim wrote:
Tim wrote:

1..6.19 - 196.8lb

1.13.19 - 196.8lb
Ugh no change
If you're not logging what you eat, start tracking. You'd be surprised how quickly the calories add up. I know I was.

Also, drink A LOT of water.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I definitely should (and will) lose about 15 lbs. More importantly i need to improve my flexibility and my cardiovascular which would be easy enough if i could just stay on a good routine.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Tim wrote:
Tim wrote:

1..6.19 - 196.8lb

1.13.19 - 196.8lb
Ugh no change
Making an effort to lose weight with little to show for it at first is pretty common for me (getting down 10 lbs would be ideal.) Especially in winter. Frustrating, but got to keep at it. Staying even at first is a sign of success.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:I definitely should (and will) lose about 15 lbs. More importantly i need to improve my flexibility and my cardiovascular which would be easy enough if i could just stay on a good routine.
I need to wake up for rhe yoga class. which means I need to go to bed earlier. which means going to bed before my kid.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Freed Roger wrote:
Tim wrote:
Tim wrote:

1..6.19 - 196.8lb

1.13.19 - 196.8lb
Ugh no change
Making an effort to lose weight with little to show for it at first is pretty common for me (getting down 10 lbs would be ideal.) Especially in winter. Frustrating, but got to keep at it. Staying even at first is a sign of success.
Agreed, don't get down. Weight fluctuates. Even if you lose it more slowly than you would like, any movement towards better health is a win over doing nothing.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I gained a little weight when I quit smoking last year and I've spent the last few weeks not working much at all and eating like [expletive], so I'm solidly over 190 from 175 that I maintained for a couple of years. It's time again before it gets out of hand.

I'm going to eat a couple of 300 calorie sushi rolls for lunch and some grilled chicken and broccoli later tonight after work and go from there.

No dairy, no sugar, no potatoes, no red meat, no processed flour, no fruit, and zero liquid calories. 2,000 calories max/day. Tim, you in? We're in the same boat basically.