Harry Potter vs Lord of the Rings

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Rowling vs Tolkien

22%
50%
28%

Total votes: 18

Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Harry Potter vs Lord of the Rings

Post by Tim »

Never seen either SECRETS

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

The LOTR movies are my Star Wars. The long sections of poems in the books never reached me.

My son and I just read HP1 and the storytelling really is only good enough for kids, though the universe building is great. We'll be reading through the series, so maybe it gets much better.

The HP movies I saw were pretty lame.

However, now that HP children are becoming taste makers and have all the tools of the Internet, I expect it to replace the Bible as the most important thing ever. The reverence for the things we loved as kids is really powerful (myself absolutely included).

Also Sauron is Voldemort's daddy. Maybe there was a Sauron that Sauron was based on, but the character of Voldemort owes a good great deal to Sauron.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Gashouse wrote:The Harry Potter books are much better. LOTR movies are much better.
Agree.
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:My son and I just read HP1 and the storytelling really is only good enough for kids, though the universe building is great. We'll be reading through the series, so maybe it gets much better.
It does.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

I only got 1/4 through The Hobbit novel. It felt like James Joyce gobbledygook.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

MAGA wrote:I only got 1/4 through The Hobbit novel. It felt like James Joyce gobbledygook.
IMO, the LOTR movies cut out all that unnecessary stuff that made the books a bit of a chore to read (plus the acting was great). On the flip side, the Harry Potter movies cut out pieces that made the story great (plus the acting was terrible - well, mostly Ron and Harry, but they're pretty key).

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I haven't read the Potter books...I have read LOTR and the Hobbit. I thought the Hobbit was the better book.

The debate was over the movies; not the books. My nephews are the reverse; they have read the Potter books but never cracked open Tolkien. Schools don't assign the classics anymore. #oldAF

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

wart57 wrote:The correct answer is Doctor Who.
eh

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

For the record, my take was concerning the books. The movies are a push to me. Some bad acting in HP but Ian McKellen overacted gandalf to the point of distraction if you ask me.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:For the record, my take was concerning the books. The movies are a push to me. Some bad acting in HP but Ian McKellen overacted gandalf to the point of distraction if you ask me.
I want to argue. If you're dressed like a wizard and saying things like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" to a 55 ft. Balrog, just how nuanced can you go?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:For the record, my take was concerning the books. The movies are a push to me. Some bad acting in HP but Ian McKellen overacted gandalf to the point of distraction if you ask me.
I want to argue. If you're dressed like a wizard and saying things like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" to a 55 ft. Balrog, just how nuanced can you go?
That was his best scene. His adoring looks at hobbits and loooong looks of concern basically throughout the rest of the movie left me rolling my eyes.