Harry Potter vs Lord of the Rings

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Rowling vs Tolkien

22%
50%
28%

Total votes: 18

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Harry Potter vs Lord of the Rings

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:For the record, my take was concerning the books. The movies are a push to me. Some bad acting in HP but Ian McKellen overacted gandalf to the point of distraction if you ask me.
I want to argue. If you're dressed like a wizard and saying things like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" to a 55 ft. Balrog, just how nuanced can you go?
That was his best scene. His adoring looks at hobbits and loooong looks of concern basically throughout the rest of the movie left me rolling my eyes.
That's fair. The biggest knock on the movie is that Sam and Frodo never do make out. I guess in Middle Earth you look at your friends like you would a middle school crush.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
wart57 wrote:The correct answer is Doctor Who.
eh
The books are better than the show.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:The biggest knock on the movie is that Sam and Frodo never do make out.
Lol. This should be its own thread.

Just learned that on DS9 Andrew Robinson played Garak as being in love with Bashir, and I am ashamed I didn't pick this up.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Arthur Dent wrote:
Just learned that on DS9 Andrew Robinson played Garak as being in love with Bashir, and I am ashamed I didn't pick this up.
I thought that was fairly common knowledge. Spin off threads imminent.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:For the record, my take was concerning the books. The movies are a push to me. Some bad acting in HP but Ian McKellen overacted gandalf to the point of distraction if you ask me.
I want to argue. If you're dressed like a wizard and saying things like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" to a 55 ft. Balrog, just how nuanced can you go?
That was his best scene. His adoring looks at hobbits and loooong looks of concern basically throughout the rest of the movie left me rolling my eyes.

Now you're saying Gandalf is a hobbitphile? This debate is getting heated... Heated I say!

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Also Sauron is Voldemort's daddy. Maybe there was a Sauron that Sauron was based on, but the character of Voldemort owes a good great deal to Sauron.
Sauron is hardly a character at all. He's sort of generically power hungry and evil -- it's the ring itself that's a much more compelling antagonist. Voldemort is similarly generic with slightly more character development in terms of childhood pathology and wizard racism.

Is that what you had in mind, or is there something I'm missing?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Arthur Dent wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Also Sauron is Voldemort's daddy. Maybe there was a Sauron that Sauron was based on, but the character of Voldemort owes a good great deal to Sauron.
Sauron is hardly a character at all. He's sort of generically power hungry and evil -- it's the ring itself that's a much more compelling antagonist. Voldemort is similarly generic with slightly more character development in terms of childhood pathology and wizard racism.

Is that what you had in mind, or is there something I'm missing?
My point was more the supervillain with no body returning and progressively gaining power. LOTR is probably cooler if he gets a body at some point.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

there's that one flashback with elron and isildur that shows him (sauron) in "human" form with the ring on causin' havoc like a beast...though its obviously like, 10 secs compared to 9 hrs as an eye

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:My point was more the supervillain with no body returning and progressively gaining power. LOTR is probably cooler if he gets a body at some point.
Ah, good point, though I'm not sure I agree Sauron regaining a body would be an improvement. His existence as a force of will would be degraded if he became a guy who sits on a throne issuing orders and stuff.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Arthur Dent wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:My point was more the supervillain with no body returning and progressively gaining power. LOTR is probably cooler if he gets a body at some point.
Ah, good point, though I'm not sure I agree Sauron regaining a body would be an improvement. His existence as a force of will would be degraded if he became a guy who sits on a throne issuing orders and stuff.
I don't remember if the scene Jocephus described was in the books (which I read after the movies, and frankly was often bored by). But that little bit would have paid off nicely in the movie, IMO. Though I can see your point too, where it diminishes his role as a power that moves through people.

I'm curious if fans would put GOT into this discussion. Way more explicit staturory rape and killing of everyone you even sort of had a fond impression of. (But I am serious).