Job search

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Job search

Post by CardsofSTL »

Eh. When you look at volume of applicants for some companies it would take a lot of productivity away from staff just to answer email. When people call me after I've done an interview with them I'm normally annoyed. At that point I've got all the information I need to make a hiring decision. Even though many might be qualified, you can't hire everyone.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

CardsofSTL wrote:Eh. When you look at volume of applicants for some companies it would take a lot of productivity away from staff just to answer email. When people call me after I've done an interview with them I'm normally annoyed. At that point I've got all the information I need to make a hiring decision. Even though many might be qualified, you can't hire everyone.
It takes a lot of productivity away from the company to answer questions from customers too, it's still worth doing. I do a lot of hiring and while I typically don't get into specifics about 'why' things don't work out(like you point out the margins between the 98th and 99th percentile are razor thin), it's not difficult to keep people in the loop. We have a policy at our company that candidates hear from us every 7 days, even if that's a mostly automated 'we're still working on it'. It doesn't take herculean effort and you get dividends in the form of folks(hired or otherwise) who think your company stands out and cares. All it takes is caring enough about candidate experience to do that relatively small thing as an org, and make sure there's a process to get it done consistently.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Im home with a sick kid today so I took a min to look further into this job. The job is not a season or part time job but the company has seasonal jobs and clearly a busy season. Summer. The position looks to have been posted multiple times in the last few months. According to linked in they only have one applicant, me? I can’t find an hr phone number but can find the HR manager on LinkedIn and Facebook. She’s a Giants fan but her husband is a Cardinals fan. Crazy what you can find out by cross referencing across different sites. I’ll hold off a week and if I haven’t heard anything I think I’ll try to connect through LinkedIn.

I went back through 5 years of my social media posts before I applied. Fortunately I don’t post much so it didn’t take long and I didn’t find anything that needed removed.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

My SO and I just simultaneously went through a job search process and ended up having a conversation about how much we appreciated being kept in the loop with potential employers and how much disdain we had for radio silence. Being in restaurant management/hiring positions it was a big takeaway for both of us on how to conduct ourselves in the future.

I had a similar experience as GK a few weeks ago - a really great almost three hour conversation with someone who I'd never met but had a strong mutual connection to, and not only did I not hear back, I didn't get a reply to a follow-up email. It was incredibly off-putting.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

It seems like radio silence is becoming the norm on both sides?

Workers are ghosting their employers like bad dates
Economists report that workers are starting to act like millennials on Tinder: They’re ditching jobs with nary a text.

“A number of contacts said that they had been ‘ghosted,’ a situation in which a worker stops coming to work without notice and then is impossible to contact,” the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago noted in December’s Beige Book, which tracks employment trends.
Recruiters at global staffing firm Robert Half have noticed a “ten to twenty percent increase” in ghosting over the past year, D.C. district president Josh Howarth said.

Applicants blow off interviews. New hires turn into no-shows. Workers leave one evening and never return.

“You feel like someone has a high level of interest only for them to just disappear,” Howarth said.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:Eh. When you look at volume of applicants for some companies it would take a lot of productivity away from staff just to answer email. When people call me after I've done an interview with them I'm normally annoyed. At that point I've got all the information I need to make a hiring decision. Even though many might be qualified, you can't hire everyone.
It takes a lot of productivity away from the company to answer questions from customers too, it's still worth doing. I do a lot of hiring and while I typically don't get into specifics about 'why' things don't work out(like you point out the margins between the 98th and 99th percentile are razor thin), it's not difficult to keep people in the loop. We have a policy at our company that candidates hear from us every 7 days, even if that's a mostly automated 'we're still working on it'. It doesn't take herculean effort and you get dividends in the form of folks(hired or otherwise) who think your company stands out and cares. All it takes is caring enough about candidate experience to do that relatively small thing as an org, and make sure there's a process to get it done consistently.
Automated replies are one thing; having someone in a relatively small office respond personally is something quite different.