Facebook Marketplace

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Facebook Marketplace

Post by JCShutout »

So a few things we had weren't moving on craigslist, and people kept urging me to try FB marketplace. Its worked, lots of interest and sales, but man, there are a bunch of people out there who apparently don't seem to know how to have a conversation.

This one person says they are interested in an item. I throw out a few times to meet, they can't meet during those times... and don't counter with other times. Just saying that they are busy. I finally ask them for some times and they respond "ok". After a day I ask if they are still interested because other people have messaged me and they say "yes, but I'm at work." So I say "Ok, when you get a min let me know some days and times you are available.' The response... "ok".

I'm sorry, have you ever had a conversation with another person before? You respond with times. If my 2 or 3 times don't work, so say something like, "I work during those times, what about Xday, Yday or Zday?"

Another person with similar issues. Expresses interest, and I have to pull their teeth to get them to pick a time, even though they say things like, "I really want these." If you really want them, then you would, you know, make an attempt to get them.

And then facebook itself. I normally hardly ever log in, so now my account is under "security review" (I guess because I've logged in a lot?) and my marketplace posts can't be seen. I've gone through and verified all the logins over the past week but its still under review. How long does that [expletive] take? And really, you're reviewing someone who logged in and posted some items for sale and only got positive reviews? What the heck kind of risk is that?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Facebook Marketplace

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Ok

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

In all seriousness I would in no way shape or form wait or give dibs to bpeople like that. Sorry, you want it come buy it because there are people showing up tomorrow to do the same thing.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Yeah, I said I need them to pick a time or I was moving on and suddenly they are very responsive. Did they read this thread? Of course, they responded by saying, "I'd come now but XYZ, I'll come tomorrow."

I didn't say I was available tomorrow (or now, which was 3 ish hours after I send the message, so how would you know I was available for you to come by then?) I asked for "some days and times you are available." Do you think I just sit around hoping you will show up? If you don't schedule a time, I go do [expletive] with my day.

Someone came to look at something else (and responded appropriately, scheduling a time) and decided they wanted the thing this difficult person wanted instead (for full price) so I just went ahead and sold it. I'd normally hold it for the first person but damn this is too much of a headache over not nearly enough money for a damn headache.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I just say first come fist server for any and all online sales. It's just not worth it trying to haggle with people.

The worst I had was a refrigerator I was trying to get rid of. It came with the house I bought, i had a better one and put it up on facebook saying it was free to anyone who could pick it up and move it without me. I didn't even put it on marketplace, just friends and friends-of-friends. I had like ten people contact me and they all asked if they could borrow a truck or if I could deliver it to them.

I get it, fridges are big, heavy, and a pain to move. That's why I was giving it away for free, because I didn't want to be the one to deal with it. So i'm not really sure how someone who is a friend of my cousin-who-i-haven't-seen-in-3-years decides that i'm going to rent a uhaul and deliver it to them and expects a reasonable response in return.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Well, to borrow a phrase from Michael Scott, er, Wayne Gretzky, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. So I get it that people will respond like that. But, they shouldn’t expect a real response 9 times out of 10.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

[expletive] the Cubs...err...Facebook.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Ok, so to be fair, I've sold to 2 or 3 people since this weekend and they've all been good communicators.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

And after many good interactions, we come back to this:

Them: Is this (item) available?

Me: Yes

Them: Where are you located?

Me: Gives a general description, i.e. (X part of the city near Y and Z intersection)

Them: OMW (after a bit of a wait)

Me: (after another wait because I have other things I do with my life) I never said I was currently available. I might be free between X and Y)

Seriously? You think I stand around doing nothing in the hopes someone buys a $10 item and that I'll just change plans for that big money? I didn't even give you a specific location. Are you just gonna drive down and stand at that intersection and shout my name?

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

JCShutout wrote:Seriously? You think I stand around doing nothing in the hopes someone buys a $10 item and that I'll just change plans for that big money? I didn't even give you a specific location. Are you just gonna drive down and stand at that intersection and shout my name?
JC, I've had this happen before. The total lack of courtesy on these selling platforms is nuts. I once had a lady try to convince me to meet her in St. Charles to sell her my $10 wine rack. That's 45 minutes from me. So I just don't sell anymore. If it's not worth something on eBay, it gets donated to the local thrift shop. I still love buying, though.