Ozuna’s post-surgery issues

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: Ozuna’s post-surgery issues

Post by Hoot45 »

Addressing left fielder Marcell Ozuna, whose recovery from a bothersome right shoulder injury from last year has been shrouded in some mystery, Molina said he had been in contact with Ozuna but had only modest progress to report:
He told me he is feeling a little bit better. He wants to be ready for Opening Day. I told him to take it easy, don't push it. He wants to be there for us, so he's going to try to push it. Hopefully, he is fine for opening day. source
So much for being ready for Spring Training, if Yadi knows anything, I guess?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Get Harper.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Get Harper.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jan 21 2019 1:22 PM
It looks like there is some frustration with Ozuna's off season by the front office?

Jan 21 2019 1:23 PM
They insist there isn't. What there is -- there's an unknown. And that has the team uncertain. To me, uncertain might be a synonym for frustration. They wanted him to keep his rehab closer to Jupiter. He didn't. Now they want him to report to spring training a few weeks early so that he can get work with some trainers. We'll see if he does. On the plus side: He did recently shoot an ad for Pepsi.
Derrick Goold

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

A big part of me doesn't blame Ozuna for wanting to spend the off season back at home and treating the shoulder injury there. As it is he spends half of February and all of March, April, May, June, July, August and September away from his family there travelling all over the US (and sometimes Toronto maybe). To expect him to give up the couple of months he has in the off season to spend with family back home in order to stay in Jupiter and work out is not an expectation that I have. I know plenty of other guys have stayed in Jupiter or St. Louis during the off season to work with the team training staff or whatever but they are also almost all guys who are from the US and it is a lot easier to bring their family to them or go visit them whenever they want during the off season and even regular season than somebody who's family is all in another country.

Would I appreciate it if he did stay here? Sure, but I'm not the one being asked to give up that time with my family. I also did a little searching on how to get a Visa to visit the US from the Dominican Republic and... wow. Things are a lot different than somebody from a place like the UK wanting to come over for a visit. There is a program that allows for easy travel from certain countries to the US without needing any type of Visa at all (business or pleasure trips up to 90 days) and the Dominican is not one of them. Hint, the countries are primarily European and 'white' so to speak with a couple wealthier countries in Asia (like Japan, South Korea and Taiwan) and then Chile. If you are from one of those countries the eligibility is simply having a valid e-passport, being able to pay the $14 application fee via credit/debit or PayPal and valid employment information. Then have your authorization within seconds according to the information I can find on the website for the program. If you are from a primarily poor, black or brown country the process is much more expensive, time consuming and not guaranteed. Also, if you make one mistake on the paperwork or whatever and are denied your Visa you can't even apply again for another full year.

It just makes so much more sense for him to go back home to spend a couple of months with his parents, siblings, etc. and for them to all get to spend time with his kids.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

I assume this Ozuna and the other Ozuna are not the same person.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

tlombard wrote:A big part of me doesn't blame Ozuna for wanting to spend the off season back at home and treating the shoulder injury there. As it is he spends half of February and all of March, April, May, June, July, August and September away from his family there travelling all over the US (and sometimes Toronto maybe). To expect him to give up the couple of months he has in the off season to spend with family back home in order to stay in Jupiter and work out is not an expectation that I have. I know plenty of other guys have stayed in Jupiter or St. Louis during the off season to work with the team training staff or whatever but they are also almost all guys who are from the US and it is a lot easier to bring their family to them or go visit them whenever they want during the off season and even regular season than somebody who's family is all in another country.

Would I appreciate it if he did stay here? Sure, but I'm not the one being asked to give up that time with my family. I also did a little searching on how to get a Visa to visit the US from the Dominican Republic and... wow. Things are a lot different than somebody from a place like the UK wanting to come over for a visit. There is a program that allows for easy travel from certain countries to the US without needing any type of Visa at all (business or pleasure trips up to 90 days) and the Dominican is not one of them. Hint, the countries are primarily European and 'white' so to speak with a couple wealthier countries in Asia (like Japan, South Korea and Taiwan) and then Chile. If you are from one of those countries the eligibility is simply having a valid e-passport, being able to pay the $14 application fee via credit/debit or PayPal and valid employment information. Then have your authorization within seconds according to the information I can find on the website for the program. If you are from a primarily poor, black or brown country the process is much more expensive, time consuming and not guaranteed. Also, if you make one mistake on the paperwork or whatever and are denied your Visa you can't even apply again for another full year.

It just makes so much more sense for him to go back home to spend a couple of months with his parents, siblings, etc. and for them to all get to spend time with his kids.
You're acting like baseball players are people and not robots. Hogwash!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Marcell Ozuna (shoulder) took batting practice and played catch at the Cardinals' complex in the Dominican Republic on Thursday.
It was a "positive first step" for the outfielder, according to president of baseball operations John Mozeliak, who will meet with Ozuna in the Dominican Republic on Monday. Ozuna dealt with a right shoulder issue throughout the 2018 campaign and had surgery in late October. There's no reason to believe at this point that he won't be ready for Opening Day, although he'll probably be somewhat limited at the beginning of spring training.
Source: Mark Saxon on Twitter
Jan 25 - 1:00 PM

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

I hear there is a 26 year old outfielder, who is quite good, still out there on the free agent market.

Any truth to that rumor?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »