2018 NFL Season Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: 2018 NFL Season Thread

Post by Freed Roger »

This is not really new, but The Super Bowl the Show is dystopian awful. Geared to Today Show crowd and people nostalgic for Jerry Lewis Telethon type TV. The halftime shows.lol

Every thing is forced. Patriotism, the MLK stuff all cheapened as a result. As if we are going to have a moment of unity here....GtFO.The bizarre weirdness - Aryanesque shots of Roger Goddell and owners up above....If only we could refrain from gawking at traffic accidents.
If it weren't for it being February, with a chunk of the population (myself) not having better [expletive] to watch ...

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Hoot45 wrote:
go birds wrote:Regarding big hits...whew...there sure was an opportunity for a new england defender (van noy??) to absolutely lay the wood on goff, but he showed good restraint prolly because he knew he'd be flagged for crushing the QB, regardless of whether or not the tackle was clean.

I forget the exact play but it lead to a 3rd and 22 or something like that.
I remember what you're talking about. It was lining up to be a bone crushing hit. But I think Goff kind of dropped to his knee too, so both players took the easy road out of that one.
Mostly Goff showed the inability to handle pressure. Iirc he kept moving right into Van Noy’s line of attack instead of moving up and/or getting rid of the ball.

I’m not going to contrarily argue that the game was a classic. It wasn’t. But I enjoyed watching how Wade Phillips kept Brady off balance. Shoulda been a blowout.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I can understand the scheme appreciation, but Goff really had a lot of time to throw last night (averaged a full second more to throw than Brady did) and didn't do anything with it. He was under pressure after 2.5 seconds on just 12% of his dropbacks. The pressure came later in the play, which is a testament to the Pats coverage, but most of the D plays from New England were simple zone and DL stunts which they've done most of the season. Both turnovers came off a tipped pass and a ball that didn't have to be and shouldn't have been thrown.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I can understand the scheme appreciation, but Goff really had a lot of time to throw last night (averaged a full second more to throw than Brady did) and didn't do anything with it. He was under pressure after 2.5 seconds on just 12% of his dropbacks. The pressure came later in the play, which is a testament to the Pats coverage, but most of the D plays from New England were simple zone and DL stunts which they've done most of the season. Both turnovers came off a tipped pass and a ball that didn't have to be and shouldn't have been thrown.
Goff got exposed 2/3 way thru the season. He’s got to get a lot better to be a solid NFL QB and not the product of a system. Still, how many times did we see Austin Blythe’s guy blow past him. And McVay got outcoached.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

That pic in 4th q was terrible, but whiffing on that wide open TD in endzone earlier in game was worse (the one where he waited too long and WR ended at back of endzone, Pats guy busted up.

All he had to play was at Dilfer-esque level and the Rams win.

Goff is still a kid, not sure if what we saw in last part of season was his utmost .

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

lukethedrifter wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:I can understand the scheme appreciation, but Goff really had a lot of time to throw last night (averaged a full second more to throw than Brady did) and didn't do anything with it. He was under pressure after 2.5 seconds on just 12% of his dropbacks. The pressure came later in the play, which is a testament to the Pats coverage, but most of the D plays from New England were simple zone and DL stunts which they've done most of the season. Both turnovers came off a tipped pass and a ball that didn't have to be and shouldn't have been thrown.
Goff got exposed 2/3 way thru the season. He’s got to get a lot better to be a solid NFL QB and not the product of a system. Still, how many times did we see Austin Blythe’s guy blow past him. And McVay got outcoached.

I personally think the line part is a bit overrated. Like I mentioned, Goff had more time to throw than Brady did last night. And while McVay was outcoached, Belichick didn't seem to be on his A game either. I'm not used to seeing the Patriots on 3rd & 8 running draws... almost seems like he overthought the impact of Suh and Donald to a degree. The biggest success for the Pats was in coverage (which is also admittedly the part of the game you least see on TV).

The bigger thing was just how bad Goff was without pressure. Like Freed said, adequate level play and you get a real shot to win or at least steal the game.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I haven't followed NE closely enough to say for sure, but some guys on the radio were saying just the opposite. Their theory was that NE typically plays man defense, but when they saw how well the Bears handled the Rams with a zone, Belichick insisted on switching to zone just for this game, which was unexpected by the Rams.

I could be wrong..... but that was their theory.

Either way, Belichick was a mastermind last week and this week. Tom Brady is fine, but I think Belichick's genius is the reason they won this year.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Socnorb11 wrote:Either way, Belichick was a mastermind last week and this week. Tom Brady is fine, but I think Belichick's genius is the reason they won this year.
I can't dispute any of this and it makes me want to vomit anyway.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:
I haven't followed NE closely enough to say for sure, but some guys on the radio were saying just the opposite. Their theory was that NE typically plays man defense, but when they saw how well the Bears handled the Rams with a zone, Belichick insisted on switching to zone just for this game, which was unexpected by the Rams.

I could be wrong..... but that was their theory.

Either way, Belichick was a mastermind last week and this week. Tom Brady is fine, but I think Belichick's genius is the reason they won this year.
I should clarify my statement. The stunts are a staple of the NE defensive philosophy. The zone was new.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Let's also not forget that the Rams should not have been in the Super Bowl. If it were not for the "coincidence" of Los Angeles-based referees ignoring one of the most obvious penalties in recent memory that would have likely sealed a win for the Saints, the Rams would not be here. I think a blueprint for beating the Rams emerged late in the season, either pioneered or perfected by the Bears, and they were vulnerable after that. They needed the help of the referees to get to the Super Bowl. People should not be surprised they couldn't even sniff the end zone.

This also might be one of the least dynamic Patriots teams we have seen in a long time, in my opinion. Although I'm not really an expert. I don't follow the AFC. I just think the Saints would have handled them. At the same time, I do give Belichick and company credit for their defensive game plan. It worked. [expletive] the Rams.