2018 NFL Season Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: 2018 NFL Season Thread

Post by tlombard »

Popeye_Card wrote:
That's actually a really tough one. Ted Williams is in the argument for best baseball player of all time. Same for Orr with hockey. Russell and Bird probably aren't in that very top tier, but in the top 10 conversation.

Brady certainly has all the rings, and great statistics to back it up. I don't know if that makes up for Teddy Ballgame and Bobby Orr playing on a completely different level than the rest of the league. I posted in another thread about Williams' career slash line (.344/.482/.634) being higher than any individual season in any category for Mike Trout (.326/.460/.629). Orr had six straight seasons over 100 points, leading the league twice. As a 21-26 year old defenseman. Again Brady has the championships, but Manning, Brees, etc. are arguably his equal or better on a performance basis in his generation.
I struggle with how to fit football players into these 'greatest' discussions across different sports, especially when championships are brought into the equation. An individual's impact varies across each sport and sometimes eras even.

Take Brady, he clearly has impact on the offensive side but does he win so many championships if the defense is nothing but cast off tackling dummies and they give up 50 points a game, every game? If Peyton Manning was in Brady's place would he have won as many rings? I'd say that he probably would have won just as many.

At least with hockey and basketball players directly impact the results both offensively and defensively whenever they are in the game instead of specializing in just one side/skill set. The same can kind of be said for baseball as well but then you have your pitchers and designated hitters in the American League.

So, anybody know where I was going with this? I started typing this a bit ago and got interrupted. Now I have no idea what I was even trying to say. But I typed this much so I'm going to hit Submit anyway!

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Trot Nixon

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

If anything, I think it adds a little doubt to his "GOAT" status.

He wasn't very good in this game, quite frankly, and the Pats still won (relatively convincingly, really). I think Belichick has more claim to the "GOAT" title than Brady does. Football is absolutely a team game. The fact that both Manning and Elway failed to win a SB at their very peak, but did win one when they were at the low points of their careers kinda confirms it, in my mind. Mediocre QB's can win SB's, and fantastic QB's can come up short. Winning more SB's than anyone else doesn't necessarily mean he's the GOAT.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Socnorb11 wrote:
If anything, I think it adds a little doubt to his "GOAT" status.

He wasn't very good in this game, quite frankly, and the Pats still won (relatively convincingly, really). I think Belichick has more claim to the "GOAT" title than Brady does. Football is absolutely a team game. The fact that both Manning and Elway failed to win a SB at their very peak, but did win one when they were at the low points of their careers kinda confirms it, in my mind. Mediocre QB's can win SB's, and fantastic QB's can come up short. Winning more SB's than anyone else doesn't necessarily mean he's the GOAT.
Bingo. Brady is a good not great QB. Belichick is a great coach. Both will be inducted to the HOF in their first year of eligibility, but only one absolutely deserves to.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I think Brady is still a great QB. From a physical skills standpoint, perhaps more good than great. But the way he checks down and completes most of the passes he needs to make is incredible.

He's a perfect mesh with Belichick. A different QB would likely not have produced the same results. Likewise, Brady wouldn't have won 6 SB's without Belichick (obviously).

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

broncos trade *for* joe flacco

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Fleeced them. Well done Ravens

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

They probably could've just waited till the Broncos cut him. But I guess its still better then Trevor Siemien or Case Keenum your starting QB.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

It's probably safe to go ahead and make a 2019 NFL Thread.