GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 19 19, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 52  Next
PostPosted: February 6 19, 8:45 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Language

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: February 7 19, 7:13 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

PostPosted: February 7 19, 9:40 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Radbird wrote:

That is sensational. The big boys are hearing this in Congress, they're hearing this at Davos.

What's next? Reform or crackdown?

I'll hang up and take my answer on the air.

PostPosted: February 7 19, 10:55 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Radbird wrote:

Swoon

PostPosted: February 8 19, 1:52 am 
Don't tone police me bro!

33anda3rd wrote:
Radbird wrote:

Swoon

Those little chuckles to herself. Swoon indeed.

PostPosted: February 8 19, 8:48 am 
gone fission

AOC is great, except her Green New Deal would put me out of a job. Do people seriously not realize that solar power is actually more harmful to the environment than nuclear power is? Yes with nuclear power there will always be risks for an accident, no matter how unlikely. However, solar power has quantitative data attesting to its waste.

Solar panels are made up of toxic carcinogenic materials that, upon end of life, get thrown away - mostly into landfills. There are hundreds of thousands of tons of solar panel waste currently in landfills throughout the world, and as a reliance for solar ramps up in the future, that amount of waste will go up exponentially. Right now you can take the total amount of nuclear waste generated by every plant in the United States since the late-60s when commercial reactors began operating, and it will fit on a plot of land the size of a football field. That's it.

Yes, the electricity generated from solar panels is carbon-free. So is the electricity generated from nuclear power. What these lawmakers don't seem to understand is that solar (and wind) is not baseload power. If utilities have to purchase baseload power to supplement the peak power generated from solar or wind, it will wind up incredibly expensive. In fact, Vermont - the hippiest state in the union - has actually had their greenhouse gas emissions RISE almost 20% in the 6-7 years since they permanently shut down their nuclear plant in an effort to promote carbon reduction. This is because they have to get that baseload power from somewhere, and right now it's coming from natural gas.

PostPosted: February 8 19, 9:13 am 
Hall Of Famer

Are you sure it will put you out of a job swirls? What I've read the bill is looking at a somewhat balanced approach that would include some nuclear. Did I read wrong?
Swirls wrote:
AOC is great, except her Green New Deal would put me out of a job. Do people seriously not realize that solar power is actually more harmful to the environment than nuclear power is? Yes with nuclear power there will always be risks for an accident, no matter how unlikely. However, solar power has quantitative data attesting to its waste.

Solar panels are made up of toxic carcinogenic materials that, upon end of life, get thrown away - mostly into landfills. There are hundreds of thousands of tons of solar panel waste currently in landfills throughout the world, and as a reliance for solar ramps up in the future, that amount of waste will go up exponentially. Right now you can take the total amount of nuclear waste generated by every plant in the United States since the late-60s when commercial reactors began operating, and it will fit on a plot of land the size of a football field. That's it.

Yes, the electricity generated from solar panels is carbon-free. So is the electricity generated from nuclear power. What these lawmakers don't seem to understand is that solar (and wind) is not baseload power. If utilities have to purchase baseload power to supplement the peak power generated from solar or wind, it will wind up incredibly expensive. In fact, Vermont - the hippiest state in the union - has actually had their greenhouse gas emissions RISE almost 20% in the 6-7 years since they permanently shut down their nuclear plant in an effort to promote carbon reduction. This is because they have to get that baseload power from somewhere, and right now it's coming from natural gas.

PostPosted: February 8 19, 9:51 am 
Don't tone police me bro!

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Are you sure it will put you out of a job swirls? What I've read the bill is looking at a somewhat balanced approach that would include some nuclear. Did I read wrong?

no, you didn't read it wrong, people are just super quick to latch on to anything to discredit good ideas. (not your fault that you were misinformed, swirls).

The confusion arose from a tiny ambiguity in the English language on her website FAQ, or something. But of course it got blown out of proportion.

Her and Markey clarified the nuclear situation in the press conference, im pretty sure

edit: found an article. sounds like an honest mistake. Tweet from her chief of staff.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... ssil-fuels

PostPosted: February 8 19, 10:33 am 
Hall Of Famer

Our cell phones also contain metals that can be harmful, and those are literally everywhere. We do need a much more aggressive recycling program for solar panels and all kinds of electronics, really.

PostPosted: February 8 19, 10:42 am 
Everday Unicorn

Yeah I would like nuclear to be part of our energy mix going forward. And I also think the green new deal needs to go further in disincentivizing road/highway construction, and reforming local zoning laws to allow construction of dense, walkable urban living environments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 52  Next