Cardinals Done Adding to Roster for 2019

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Cardinals Done Adding to Roster for 2019

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I think the Cardinals are once again playing the “You better be right” game when they haven’t been right lately. If that’s what you want to call revisionist history I guess go ahead and do it.

Not turning “what they will do” into “what they should do” is a hill I’m willing to die on.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
haltz wrote:I don't think they're doing what other owners are doing. There are only a few franchises that have completely avoided rebuilding and/or aren't content to put out a mediocre product and rake in the cash.

If the Cardinals are going to operate at $165M or whatever, they're a megadeal away from flirting with the luxury tax and that being a consideration when they need a midseason acquisition or want to sign someone like Andrew Miller or trade for Goldschmidt.
This is where I stand. This is exactly what Mo is doing. And it seems obvious to me. The Cards have pretty much come out and said this is what they're doing multiple times. Right now, we've got payroll at a reasonable level, a very competitive roster, and room to add or change if something doesn't work at the deadline. That's their MO. I prefer adding it up front, but they actually make the decisions and write the checks so it is what it is.
The same three things were said about the last three teams too. And they didn’t add meaningfully at the deadline.
DING DING DING

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

the problem i have right now is that is seems to the market is paying right into the cards hands. harper/machado aren't signing $400m megadeals.

Doesn't look like they are even signing $300m megadeals.

It's looking more and more like it'll be in the $250m range, so why not sign a star in their prime? Both are perfect fits for the cardinals needs.

It makes too much sense. Time to put up or shut up.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
Or trade for guys like Ozuna or Goldschmidt.

Or sign someone like Mikolas.

Dammit Mo.
Or put millions of dead money into Holland, Gregerson, Cecil, Leake; trade a 6 WAR player for nothing; sign Dexter Fowler when you have Pham and Grichuk, give Piscotty away for nothing, etc. etc.

Mo has been bad for awhile now.
Please don't quote me and take my comment out of context. Thanks.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I think ownership is a bigger issue than Mo

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

MrCrowesGarden wrote: The same three things were said about the last three teams too. And they didn’t add meaningfully at the deadline.
My bigger issue is that they haven't done anything one way or another aside from moving around some players with no clear indication as to whether or not they expect to seriously contend for the POs or to build for the future.

Lynn and Norris are the two names who come to mind that I don't understand why the FO kept unless they seriously thought they were going to make the POs.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Lesson wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote: The same three things were said about the last three teams too. And they didn’t add meaningfully at the deadline.
My bigger issue is that they haven't done anything one way or another aside from moving around some players with no clear indication as to whether or not they expect to seriously contend for the POs or to build for the future.

Lynn and Norris are the two names who come to mind that I don't understand why the FO kept unless they seriously thought they were going to make the POs.
"Adding meaningfully at the deadline" for a team that is in 3rd place and hovering around .500 seems short sighted.

I can't get crazy over not trading Lynn. No one wanted him, as evidenced by his crappy 1 year deal he received last season.

Here are some facts though.

After 2016, it was "spend in free agency". Mo signs Fowler for 3rd largest free agent deal in that off season.

After 2017, it was "get a big bat." Mo trades for Ozuna, who was an all star in 2016 and 2017 and was coming off a 37 home run season.

After 2018, it was "the Cards need a face of the franchise type of player and need to get a better bullpen." Mo trades for Goldschmidt and signs Miller.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I think the Cardinals are once again playing the “You better be right” game when they haven’t been right lately. If that’s what you want to call revisionist history I guess go ahead and do it.

Not turning “what they will do” into “what they should do” is a hill I’m willing to die on.
They added Goldschmidt and Miller not Ozuna and Gregerson or Fowler and Cecil. It'd be great if they did more, like sign Harper, but this offseason has been different than those in recent history.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I’d disagree, but this won’t go anywhere.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

dmarx114 wrote:
Lesson wrote:

"Adding meaningfully at the deadline" for a team that is in 3rd place and hovering around .500 seems short sighted.

I can't get crazy over not trading Lynn. No one wanted him, as evidenced by his crappy 1 year deal he received last season.

Here are some facts though.

After 2016, it was "spend in free agency". Mo signs Fowler for 3rd largest free agent deal in that off season.

After 2017, it was "get a big bat." Mo trades for Ozuna, who was an all star in 2016 and 2017 and was coming off a 37 home run season.

After 2018, it was "the Cards need a face of the franchise type of player and need to get a better bullpen." Mo trades for Goldschmidt and signs Miller.

In every case, it has always been do more. You know this.

The Fowler signing was great for what the team needed, but no one ever expected him to be more than average to slightly above. It didn’t solve the good not great problem and never was going to.

The Ozuna trade is fine with the results we got because we gave up four flaming bags of [expletive]. It should’ve never ended there.

Now the Cardinals have gotten their franchise type player... for one guaranteed season. And he should’ve been the impetus to keep doing more. Not “we will always look at ways to improve the team. Unless we get Paul Goldschmidt.” And you were lukewarm at best on Miller until he signed.