Samsung refrigerators

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Samsung refrigerators

Post by heyzeus »

Don't buy a Samsung refrigerator. Just don't. You don't even have to read further if you don't want to, as long as you don't buy one.

We've had ours for about 6 years. First problem was that the ice maker constantly freezes over, and you have to chip away at the ice buildup with an icepick. Eventually that stopped working too. Defrosting the thing was of no use. It no longer makes or dispenses ice.

Next, the water filters stopped fitting. It's weird, because both the Samsung brand filters and the generics no longer work. Samsung changed the design of their filters, and they no longer work when installed in our fridge. And yes, we're using the filters that Samsung indicates should work on our fridge.

The last straw: the coils in the back of the fridge are apparently freezing over, so the fan hits the ice and makes an awful noise. I have to defrost our fridge about every other week now just to get it to stop sounding like a [expletive] tank is plowing through our kitchen.

Now I'm reading reviews and experiences of other people with Samsung fridges and EVERYONE is having the same issues, and multiple repair calls don't fix anything. They truly are the garbage of the fridge world. I hate it deeply.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Samsung refrigerators

Post by CardsofSTL »

Yeah...Samsung should be focusing on what they are good at.

Should be an easy fix since you live in Texas though to help with the freezing up problem; just move it to the porch out in the summer heat and make it a beer fridge.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Just moved into our new house. We went LG for fridge and washer/dryer but considered a Samsung. Glad now we went another direction.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Interesting. We just had to chip ice out of our 4 year old Samsung. ☹️

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i can't wait for the fridge/toilet combo

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:Interesting. We just had to chip ice out of our 4 year old Samsung. ☹️
Bad news: it's likely to get worse.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Wonderful. I bought one about a year ago. Where was this thread then? WHERE WAS THIS THREAD?!?!

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Sorry, if you had sprung for GRB Premium™ you would have had real-time access to the full suite of mod consumer reviews, reports, and incoherent rantings. Ask me more about signing up today!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

heyzeus wrote:Don't buy a Samsung refrigerator. Just don't. You don't even have to read further if you don't want to, as long as you don't buy one.

We've had ours for about 6 years. First problem was that the ice maker constantly freezes over, and you have to chip away at the ice buildup with an icepick. Eventually that stopped working too. Defrosting the thing was of no use. It no longer makes or dispenses ice.

Next, the water filters stopped fitting. It's weird, because both the Samsung brand filters and the generics no longer work. Samsung changed the design of their filters, and they no longer work when installed in our fridge. And yes, we're using the filters that Samsung indicates should work on our fridge.

The last straw: the coils in the back of the fridge are apparently freezing over, so the fan hits the ice and makes an awful noise. I have to defrost our fridge about every other week now just to get it to stop sounding like a [expletive] tank is plowing through our kitchen.

Now I'm reading reviews and experiences of other people with Samsung fridges and EVERYONE is having the same issues, and multiple repair calls don't fix anything. They truly are the garbage of the fridge world. I hate it deeply.
Had all of this s**t happen to Samsung also in the last year or two. I bought it when we moved into our house in 2013. Icemaker broke after about two years. Coils freeze so I unplug it for half a day. It then thaws and leaks water all over the floor. Digital panel broke within a year and a half. I had to clean the stainless every other day because if you touch it, your fingerprint stayed there permanently. Finally it completely died a few days after last Christmas. Had to go 6 days without a fridge because in stocks were so low because of the holidays. Bought a Frigidaire and it's so much nicer.