TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Michael wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
I thought so too. Overly sympathetic to the cult and even moreso to Baghwan. But I had some pre-developed opinions of the cult, so I wasn't sure how objective I was being. The Oregonian writer interviewed-- his pieces are really good and far more damning. I really wanted to see the lawyer/mayor get roasted or at least a little itchy.

It was interesting to talk to my parents about it.

It's also wild that our one successful, king-making company here in Oregon was organically a significant player.

I don't know how hard they tried but another interview with a disaffected jilted cult member would have been really valuable and balancing, IMO.
I finished the doc last night. I really enjoyed it, but I think the series being overly sympathetic to the cult is a legit criticism. They had some sympathetic music cues for the cult that I thought were inappropriate.

Regardless, the doc is a lot of fun. What an amazing story.
I just recently finished this. I agree it is bizarre and fascinating. The sympathy toward the cult criticism is fair.

Are there other good sources of information for this? I'd like to hear more from the govt. side of things or jilted cult members.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Michael wrote:
I thought so too. Overly sympathetic to the cult and even moreso to Baghwan. But I had some pre-developed opinions of the cult, so I wasn't sure how objective I was being. The Oregonian writer interviewed-- his pieces are really good and far more damning. I really wanted to see the lawyer/mayor get roasted or at least a little itchy.

It's also wild that our one successful, king-making company here in Oregon was organically a significant player.

I don't know how hard they tried but another interview with a disaffected jilted cult member would have been really valuable and balancing, IMO.
I finished the doc last night. I really enjoyed it, but I think the series being overly sympathetic to the cult is a legit criticism. They had some sympathetic music cues for the cult that I thought were inappropriate.

I just recently finished this. I agree it is bizarre and fascinating. The sympathy toward the cult criticism is fair.

Are there other good sources of information for this? I'd like to hear more from the govt. side of things or jilted cult members.
The old cult members, the lawyer, got harder to take seriously after a while. He could never admit it was/is a cult and Bagwan a fraud. in spite of the fleet of rolls royce and the food poisoning.

Interesting that typecast roles that are too familiar today were kind of reverse back then. anti-govt but users of govt protection are free love hippies, instead of Cliven Bundy gang.

at the end, Sheela's gig at the elderly home seems shady, but who knows.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Narcos Mexico is pretty darn good. Better than the Cali one. Good acting (Kiki, Neto, Felix, Isabella). Interesting story -minor complaint that the progression/pacing at times seems illogical. Nice soundtrack.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Michael wrote:

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-nort ... nal_2.html

I'd just like to repeat that the 'so all in all it was a pretty great year at summer camp' ending was perverse.

I won't pretend I knew who he was before the doc, but John Silvertooth is a legend. What a rad Oregon dude.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I'm currently watching You and loving every minute of it. #secrets

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

ghostrunner wrote:Watched the first episode of Russian Doll on Netflix. Hearing really good things about it. Groundhog Day kind of premise, but looks like it has it's own spin on it.
I watched the entire series over the last couple of days. I'm slightly unclear on the ending, but I think I've got it and it's definitely not a sci-fi sort of show that you need to get hung up on the mechanics and plausibility.

Apparently it's a three season commitment from Netflix. I can't even make a bad guess as to how they continue it.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

haltz wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Watched the first episode of Russian Doll on Netflix. Hearing really good things about it. Groundhog Day kind of premise, but looks like it has it's own spin on it.
I watched the entire series over the last couple of days. I'm slightly unclear on the ending, but I think I've got it and it's definitely not a sci-fi sort of show that you need to get hung up on the mechanics and plausibility.

Apparently it's a three season commitment from Netflix. I can't even make a bad guess as to how they continue it.
Whoa. I just finished it last night. Loved the finale and the show, but I assumed it was done.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

YT recommended me an interview of lyonne and amy poehler and that's when i learned she (amy) was an executive producer. i say i can't lose with poehler! i probably won't watch the show though

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

How is he going to get the car out of the apartment?