What's your Harper Hunch?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

STL fans believing the top FA isn't worth it no matter what is so odd to me. People still believe STL bid against themselves for Holliday, one of the best long FA signings ever. They could have had Jason Bay AND Chone Figgins for the same price!!!

DeWitt/Mo would stay on 8-8 with the dealer showing a 6 and have convinced most fans it's the right move.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:And Stanton and Arod are/were a lot better than harper
Through age 25 Average OPS+

Which is which?

Best OPS+ year through age 25

Which is which?

It doesn't matter which is which because they're all obviously offensive forces. If they were all a FA at the same time you could make an argument as to who should be signed, but it would matter because they're all [expletive] powerhouses. The thing is, only one of them is available right now. You don't have to trade top prospects AND assume the contract. You can just sign him.

The Cardinals are in a perfect spot to get Harper.
Take out the outlier on harper...was a fluke. Has never and will never come close again.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:STL fans believing the top FA isn't worth it no matter what is so odd to me. People still believe STL bid against themselves for Holliday, one of the best long FA signings ever. They could have had Jason Bay AND Chone Figgins for the same price!!!

DeWitt/Mo would stay on 8-8 with the dealer showing a 6 and have convinced most fans it's the right move.
Machado absolutely is worth it

Oh, you’re talking about harper? Nah, he isn’t

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

cardsfantx wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:STL fans believing the top FA isn't worth it no matter what is so odd to me. People still believe STL bid against themselves for Holliday, one of the best long FA signings ever. They could have had Jason Bay AND Chone Figgins for the same price!!!

I'd take Machado. But his bat won't carry him when he moves to 1B, and he doesn't have Harper upside.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:

I'd take Machado. But his bat won't carry him when he moves to 1B, and he doesn't have Harper upside.
Harper doesn’t have what some people believe Harper’s upside is. He’s in his mid-20s. If he was going to establish himself as a perennial MVP candidate he’d have done it by now like ARod, Bonds, Pujols, Trout and others before him.

Machado already has three seasons over 6 fWAR and one at 5. We don’t need to dream on him to make him 3X better than a league average player, he’s already there.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Those of you who are siding with the owners, do you think Cardinals tickets, or merchandise, or cable costs, will be cheaper in 2019 if we don't sign Harper? Did you believe the Cardinals FO in previous years when they talked about saving payroll muscle for the future, or keeping their powder dry for a big name free agent? If so, how many more years of them not signing a big free agent will it take for you to doubt that they've actually been lying since 2010 or so?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Those of you who are siding with the owners, do you think Cardinals tickets, or merchandise, or cable costs, will be cheaper in 2019 if we don't sign Harper? Did you believe the Cardinals FO in previous years when they talked about saving payroll muscle for the future, or keeping their powder dry for a big name free agent? If so, how many more years of them not signing a big free agent will it take for you to doubt that they've actually been lying since 2010 or so?
You must be on the wrong message board.

Not one person/zero posters have sided with any owner in this thread that I have seen.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

“Take out the outlier year on Harper” is the worst and most tiring argument I’ve seen and is mostly used by the pro-owner crowd I’ve noticed. Hey even if you take it out, he’s good as hell.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:“Take out the outlier year on Harper” is the worst and most tiring argument I’ve seen and is mostly used by the pro-owner crowd I’ve noticed. Hey even if you take it out, he’s good as hell.

funny; just a few weeks ago, someone posted stats about a player over the last 3 years, and you said who cares about what someone did 3 years ago??

but you absolutely want to have something count from even longer ago (2015) from Bryce Harper

he's not "good as hell" if you take it out...and certainly not worth one of the (if not the) largest contracts in MLB history

and saying he is not worth it, does not make someone "pro-owner" unless they have a comprehension problem.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

I absolutely want the Owner to pony up the cash and sign Harper and Machado.

If he doesn't I will be upset, but I will still watch the games and follow the team and live and die by the scores.

I want the players to get every penny they deserve.