Cubs Co-Owner's Incredibly Racist Emails Leaked

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Cubs Co-Owner's Incredibly Racist Emails Leaked

Post by Famous Mortimer »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:My team is mine. Not whatever weasel owns it (RIP Paul Allen, an exception for the most part). My $80 wherever it's spent is going to trickle up to some Ricketts somewhere, generally. I wouldn't let some [expletive] take my team away from me just because he's rich.
And I'm sure the owners are absolutely delighted you feel that way.
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Go to the game. Take a sign that says Blow Me, Racist if you want.
And get thrown out, and banned from going to any future games. Solid choice if you never want to visit the ballpark again.
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:I guess that I should clarify that an owner can move my team away and it'd be over for me. I really feel for fans in St. Louis and in Seattle. But unless they're pumping The Birth of a Nation through the Jumbotron on white hood giveaway night I'm not going to let them damage a meaningful part of my life just because they're monsters.
"The team is mine (unless they choose to move)". Do you perhaps understand why that tipping point that you describe above has already been reached and exceeded for lots of people, though?

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

At least this will shut up Cubs fans who say Cards fans are a bunch of racist rednecks. The team's owner is a literal MAGA grandpa.

Also, I kind of love just how bad of a joke it is. There's no real punchline, just a stupid elaborate setup to "Haha n-word!" I'm not opposed to humor that's racially provocative, but this is a case of completely indefensible racist garbage.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:My team is mine. Not whatever weasel owns it (RIP Paul Allen, an exception for the most part). My $80 wherever it's spent is going to trickle up to some Ricketts somewhere, generally. I wouldn't let some [expletive] take my team away from me just because he's rich.
And I'm sure the owners are absolutely delighted you feel that way.
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Go to the game. Take a sign that says Blow Me, Racist if you want.
And get thrown out, and banned from going to any future games. Solid choice if you never want to visit the ballpark again.
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:I guess that I should clarify that an owner can move my team away and it'd be over for me. I really feel for fans in St. Louis and in Seattle. But unless they're pumping The Birth of a Nation through the Jumbotron on white hood giveaway night I'm not going to let them damage a meaningful part of my life just because they're monsters.
"The team is mine (unless they choose to move)". Do you perhaps understand why that tipping point that you describe above has already been reached and exceeded for lots of people, though?
Definitely. I perhaps understand that. I'm not going to define the meaning or parameters of anyone's relationship with their team (well, maybe front-running fans of the Golden State Warriors). And in most cases I'm not going to allow the owner to do so to me.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

If you take a sign that says "Blow Me, Racist" to Wrigley you're pretty much covering all the bases. You'll make more friends than you know what to do with. [expletive] the Cubs.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Hoot45 wrote:If you take a sign that says "Blow Me, Racist" to Wrigley you're pretty much covering all the bases. You'll make more friends than you know what to do with. [expletive] the Cubs.
There will also be a long line of racists waiting to perform oral sex on you; so win, win.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:If you take a sign that says "Blow Me, Racist" to Wrigley you're pretty much covering all the bases. You'll make more friends than you know what to do with. [expletive] the Cubs.
There will also be a long line of racists waiting to perform oral sex on you; so win, win.
After years of planning, we have finally condensed the Wrigley Field game day experience into one perfect sentence. Everyone take the afternoon off and have a pint on the house.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

If the sign doesn't work or the ensuing rashes get too painful, perhaps there's some other way to demonstrate displeasure with the owner or desire for a new culture where you could still support your team.

I'm not saying pulling the plug or moving things to a slower burner is the wrong choice. Just that there might be another way. In this situation, I'd try to find one.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Seems a bit related.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

I perused NSBB last night for the first time in years, and it looks like a lot of them are extremely disenchanted. Having the Ricketts family as owners was already a nice sh*t sandwich to have to swallow, and the Sinclair deal is an additional kick to the nuts. This season is not shaping up to be a fun one for a lot of their fans.

People complain about DeWitt sometimes, but that's got to be some kind of odd internal conflict when you love the team and hate the owners.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

ThatGuy wrote:I perused NSBB last night for the first time in years, and it looks like a lot of them are extremely disenchanted. Having the Ricketts family as owners was already a nice sh*t sandwich to have to swallow, and the Sinclair deal is an additional kick to the nuts. This season is not shaping up to be a fun one for a lot of their fans.

People complain about DeWitt sometimes, but that's got to be some kind of odd internal conflict when you love the team and hate the owners.
don't forget about still having Russell on the team, not getting harper, saying they don't have any money, haven't really done anything this offseason.

they're not a happy bunch