A forum for non-baseball sports
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: 2018 NFL Season Thread

Post by lukethedrifter »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:Seems weak on Kaep’s part to agree to an NDA since this whole thing is about principle.

I think that's fair, but there are a lot of important organizations that will benefit from the money. Would've been interesting to see the texts, emails, etc. that would've come out in discovery though.

Why on earth would Kaepernick not want that stuff to be made public?

Sometimes juries are stupid. I think that's mostly it.

Appreciate the side you’re on. I’m on it. But there is no way this an L for the League. It’s a costly W got the League.
It’s an L for Kaep’s integrity. It’s bank for Kaep. I guess he can give away every penny. But at the cost of exposing the League? Forget the jury, it’s about the stuff that would have come out, no?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

lukethedrifter wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:Seems weak on Kaep’s part to agree to an NDA since this whole thing is about principle.

I think that's fair, but there are a lot of important organizations that will benefit from the money. Would've been interesting to see the texts, emails, etc. that would've come out in discovery though.

Why on earth would Kaepernick not want that stuff to be made public?

Sometimes juries are stupid. I think that's mostly it.

Appreciate the side you’re on. I’m on it. But there is no way this an L for the League. It’s a costly W got the League.
It’s an L for Kaep’s integrity. It’s bank for Kaep. I guess he can give away every penny. But at the cost of exposing the League? Forget the jury, it’s about the stuff that would have come out, no?
I'm about midway on it. Definitely understand where you're coming from, but I do think/hope he's going to use it for good organizations. At the same time, of course I'd love to know what's in the texts/emails/etc. that the league had. Judging by the reported amount of money involved, it certainly seems like Kap had them dead to rights, but from what I'm reading from trial lawyers, even with a smoking gun somehow these cases aren't as locked up as they should be. Chris Kluwe talked about his own settlement with the NFL on Twitter which I think is worth reading..

I suppose in that regard it is a W for the NFL, and of course, they can keep doing what they're doing. I still think it's probably a bigger loss than everyone else here, though.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I think the NFL is guilty of not wanting to sign Kaepernick because of the baggage that comes with him. With regard to that position, they may lose a court case. I don't think they have any shame about that, but they know that the courts might rule against them.

NFL ratings were up in 2018, and so was revenue. They're trending the right direction, and paying Kaepernick to disappear before NFL free agency, the draft, OTA's, etc. is probably in their best interest. It's about $2M per team. Lunch money, given the ~$100M annual profits that teams average.

Kaep gets what he wants too, which is a truckload of money.

...........and we move on.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Troves of revealing disclosures of NFL chicanery, -what would that accomplish in this Trumpian era?

People, like myself, that are already cognizant of epic level NFL crapola would have had their views ratified by disclosure and/or trial.
Minds were already made up.

Even if they exposed emails from Kroenke Kraft and Jerry Jones discussing how they better boot CK from league to appease their lover Trump and the corresponding fat old white male fans etc, nobody's opinions of CK or the NFL would change.

...Except maybe a few more MAGA fans would have bought season tix to support the NFL. Another MAGA GoFundMe or something to help the poor billionaires out.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

No dog in the fight but Kaep just sold out 100% right? This is the twist in the movie where greed wins?

But I guess it was always about $ from both sides.

Kaep signed a mega deal after starting strong, got cut because he regressed. He probably would’ve floated around the league for a bit on fairly low deals then washed out. The league overestimated backlash from the kneeling thing and colluded to keep him out. A guy who would’ve washed out anyway.

Lessons to be learned here
Last edited by MAGA on February 15 19, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I'm surprised the NFL's lawyers didn't just say "you got beat out for a job by Blaine Gabbert" case closed and they move on.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Definitely depends where they go from here, but seems really weak.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

The Flacco trade isn't official until March 13 when the new league year starts. What is the point of a dumb rule like that? Only thing that allows for in the next month for one of the two teams to back out of the trade that they agreed upon already.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Kaep selling out keeps the dopes from getting their panties in a bind over yet another MAGA conflagration. until the next time at least.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

robert kraft in some trouble