Machado to the Pads...

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: Machado to the Pads...

Post by 33anda3rd »

Three guys now from the top 14 of BA's Top 100 Prospects in 2011: Hosmer (#8), Myers (#10), Machado (#14). Plus Hedges who was top-30 a few years later and Erlin who the Prospectus guys loved as a prospect, and Renfroe who was #44 from BA in 2017.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

wouldve loved that deal for the cardinals, especially with the opt-out after 5

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

TheTimeIsNow
All-Star

Post by TheTimeIsNow »

Padres will pay approximately $75 million for Wil Myers, Eric Hosmer, and Manny Machado in 2020, 2021, and 2022.

That has mediocre written all over it.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Wonder if Harper will take 10 years $310 with opt out after 5....

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

go birds wrote:wouldve loved that deal for the cardinals, especially with the opt-out after 5
There is 0.00001% chance Machado will execute that opt-out, unless the deal is insanely front-loaded. Especially since there will be a new CBA between now and then.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Popeye_Card wrote:
go birds wrote:wouldve loved that deal for the cardinals, especially with the opt-out after 5
There is 0.00001% chance Machado will execute that opt-out, unless the deal is insanely front-loaded. Especially since there will be a new CBA between now and then.
Your number is way too low. Depends on what the back half looks like (as you suggested) and salary growth and obviously his performance. But he’ll only be 31...

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
Your number is way too low. Depends on what the back half looks like (as you suggested) and salary growth and obviously his performance. But he’ll only be 31...
The lure of his age 26-30 production at a prime defensive position is why you would commit a $30MM AAV to him. At age 31 and facing a likely shift to 1B, he's either going to have to become a better hitter, or he isn't going to be getting any >$30MM AAV for 5+ offers.

I think I might actually be high on that probability.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I love it. [expletive] the Dodgers.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Popeye_Card wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
The lure of his age 26-30 production at a prime defensive position is why you would commit a $30MM AAV to him. At age 31 and facing a likely shift to 1B, he's either going to have to become a better hitter, or he isn't going to be getting any >$30MM AAV for 5+ offers.

I think I might actually be high on that probability.
I agree generally with your premise. But no. Too low. 1.8% is the actual number.