TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Freed Roger »

Radbird wrote:Not sure if it’s been mentioned already but Long Shot on Netflix is a great way to spend 40 minutes.
Thanks for recommendation.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

heyzeus wrote:Anyone else just finish Season 3 of True Detective?
yep, last episode was kind of slow and a little bit of a let down, but the season on a whole was very good I thought...much better than season 2 (obviously)

Mahershala Ali was amazing, and I'd never thought I say it, but Stephen Dorff was as well

the 2 leads in this season were the best of any season IMO...even better than McConaughey and Harrelson. McConaughey's rambling got old after awhile, but Ali and Dorff were on point every episode.

but overall, season 1 was a better season than 3 IMO

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Anyone watch 'Leaving Neverland' the HBO doc of two guys that Michael Jackson abused and how their life progressed.

Very difficult to watch obviously. The topic is extremely horrific.
[SHOW]
But, there are deeper questions that I was pondering while watching it. First off, while his attraction to boys was different, many rock stars like Steven Tyler, Nugent, Rolling Stones, etc (many) banged underage kids. Steven Tyler even took custody of a 14 year old so he could bring her with him on tour to make babies. https://jezebel.com/steven-tylers-teena ... he-5805190 Regardless, it's odd all that stuff gets swept under the rug while there is a major villification of Jackson then and now for doing it with boys.

Not to say it was right or shouldn't be abhorred. It's just, why is one so much worse than the other? Seems both are extremely terrible, obviously.

Also, these kids Wade and Jimmy were dealt really unfair plots in life regarding the sexual abuse. But, at what point is it fair to criticize some of their actions. I wouldn't say it was their fault any of this happened, that's seemingly obvious. But, they lied to their parents, lied to investigators, and lied under oath even as adults about what happened. At what point is it fair to say, hey, don't protect this [expletive] pedophile...he's going to keep being a pedophile!

And, Wade being so pissed at his mom for not protecting him....I mean, yeah, she should have protected him better, I guess. But this stuff was just not as well known back then. Who would have ever thunk of a mega pop-star taking the time to befriend and earn parents trust so he could...sexually abuse their son? Abusrd even typing that sentence.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Crashing on HBO continues to be a easy show to watch. I think season 3 is the best yet.

Also on HBO, High Maintenance continues to be a strong favorite of mine and one of the most underrated shows on TV. That said, I think the current season 3 is a bit weaker than seasons 1 & 2, but it's still better than just about everything else on TV.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Michael wrote:Crashing on HBO continues to be a easy show to watch. I think season 3 is the best yet.
Pete Holmes almost makes me miss youth group sometimes.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Anyone watch 'Leaving Neverland' the HBO doc of two guys that Michael Jackson abused and how their life progressed.

Very difficult to watch obviously. The topic is extremely horrific.
[SHOW]
But, there are deeper questions that I was pondering while watching it. First off, while his attraction to boys was different, many rock stars like Steven Tyler, Nugent, Rolling Stones, etc (many) banged underage kids. Steven Tyler even took custody of a 14 year old so he could bring her with him on tour to make babies. https://jezebel.com/steven-tylers-teena ... he-5805190 Regardless, it's odd all that stuff gets swept under the rug while there is a major villification of Jackson then and now for doing it with boys.

Not to say it was right or shouldn't be abhorred. It's just, why is one so much worse than the other? Seems both are extremely terrible, obviously.

Also, these kids Wade and Jimmy were dealt really unfair plots in life regarding the sexual abuse. But, at what point is it fair to criticize some of their actions. I wouldn't say it was their fault any of this happened, that's seemingly obvious. But, they lied to their parents, lied to investigators, and lied under oath even as adults about what happened. At what point is it fair to say, hey, don't protect this [expletive] pedophile...he's going to keep being a pedophile!

And, Wade being so pissed at his mom for not protecting him....I mean, yeah, she should have protected him better, I guess. But this stuff was just not as well known back then. Who would have ever thunk of a mega pop-star taking the time to befriend and earn parents trust so he could...sexually abuse their son? Abusrd even typing that sentence.
I don't think you can blame the kids because they were effectively brainwashed by Jackson, like a child sent to religious boot camp. Jackson was messianic in the 80s and 90s, a god. A superstar like we don't have superstars anymore. They revered him. He convinced them that he loved them, and they loved him. He told them: If you tell, bad things will happen. They were basically brainwashed to the point that they didn't understand until they were adults and had kids of their own that it's not right to do that to a child, and their lives fell apart.

The parents were groomed and brainwashed by him as well. However, as adults? As people whose job in life is to protect their kids? I'm not a parent but I can't imagine allowing my child--male or female--to sleep in a bed with an adult, including an aunt or uncle. It's not healthy.

I thought the movie was a great--though overlong--breakdown of how sexual abuse happens, from the grooming and gaining of trust and love through the bitter end. The movie was more that than a condemnation of Jackson, he just happens to be the hanger from which the clothing of the story is hung.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

haltz wrote:
Michael wrote:Crashing on HBO continues to be a easy show to watch. I think season 3 is the best yet.
Didn't get picked up for season 4.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
haltz wrote:
Didn't get picked up for season 4.
what the uck

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Jocephus wrote:
And not always so politely.