movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: movies

Post by Michael »

It's Do the Right Thing vs Driving Miss Daisy all over again.

I haven't seen Green Room or Blackkklansman, but Blackkklansman looks way more interesting.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Michael wrote:It's Do the Right Thing vs Driving Miss Daisy all over again.

I haven't seen Green Room or Blackkklansman, but Blackkklansman looks way more interesting.
Green Book is formulaic as [expletive] and frankly is insulting. BlacKkLansman has a lot of ideas, is buoyed by a good deal of humor, it's probably the lightest Spike Lee's touch has been since Do The Right Thing and it's really very good. That said, I liked a LOT of 2018 movies more than I liked Spike Lee's, and I think Spike leaving his chair to walk out when Green Book won, and being sent back to his seat, was not because he thought he should have won as much as it was because he was upset that a pile of hot flaming dung like Green Book did win.

For some reason Oscar is allergic to "interesting." There's nothing interesting about The Artist. Or Argo. Or The King's Speech. Crash, Chicago, The Departed. There's a long list of well-made movies, and a decent-size list of well-made and maybe well-intentioned yet problematic Liberal Issues Movies that continue to trump the interesting movies. Movies about race should mirror effective politics re race: they're more Public Enemy than a lullabye. Crash and Green Book and stuff like that is race movies for suburban white crowds who need the punch in the face not the reassurance that they're hip.

Best Screenplay is where the best movies more often are found. Get Out rather than The Shape Of Water. BlacKklansman over Green Book. Pulp Fiction over Forrest Gump. Fargo over English Patient. Lost In Translation over LOTR. Eternal Sunshine over Million Dollar Baby.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Paging The Third Man:

They're screening this on 3/18 at the Music Box with an appearance by Harmony Korine. I'm totally in.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I can't say I know who Harmony Korine is. I only know that name from the Steven Wilson song of the same name:

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

mikechamp wrote:I can't say I know who Harmony Korine is. I only know that name from the Steven Wilson song of the same name:
Started out as a grimly skateboard and drugs kid in NYC, wrote Kids the Larry Clark film. Made among other cult classics Gummo, Julian Donkey Boy, and Spring Breakers which GRB's own The Third Man practically made a religion out of five years ago or so. Sometimes is in gross-out mode, sometimes is in shockingly violent or shockingly sexual mode, is always very weird.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Holy [expletive] just watch free solo and even knowing the outcome, obviously, the scenes of him climbing had my palms quite sweaty. I don't know how those guys do it. Even in harnesses I'd be [expletive] bricks. Don't know what's more impressive, controlling the nerves or being able to physically do it.

Regardless, that documentary was awesome from a film perspective too, imo. No unnecessary BS. Just enough insight into his life. And, a ton of focus on the accomplishment and what went into it. Awesome.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Holy [expletive] just watch free solo and even knowing the outcome, obviously, the scenes of him climbing had my palms quite sweaty. I don't know how those guys do it. Even in harnesses I'd be [expletive] bricks. Don't know what's more impressive, controlling the nerves or being able to physically do it.

Regardless, that documentary was awesome from a film perspective too, imo. No unnecessary BS. Just enough insight into his life. And, a ton of focus on the accomplishment and what went into it. Awesome.
Has to be the mental side. I think this is the article that touches on it. More on that brain scan and analysis that was depicted in film. Supposedly his training partner Tommy Caldwell is better climber technically, but bizarre mental control of Honnold's is what allows for this super-human feat.
http://nautil.us/issue/61/coordinates/t ... climber-rp

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Holy [expletive] just watch free solo and even knowing the outcome, obviously, the scenes of him climbing had my palms quite sweaty. I don't know how those guys do it. Even in harnesses I'd be [expletive] bricks. Don't know what's more impressive, controlling the nerves or being able to physically do it.

there's a doc on Netflix called Valley Uprising that tells the history of the yosemite rock climbing. I just watched it on a whim not really knowing anything about it and ended up being enthralled.

I had planned on watching Free Solo, but after watching Valley Uprising, i don't really see a need, since it touches on his life. I mean, i still will cause i'd like a deeper dive.

But yea, if you liked free solo, you'd prolly enjoy this.

As a side note, i recently tried my hand at rock climbing at a local indoor place. I'm not necessarily scared of heights, but i'll be damned if i didn't have my breath taken away after making it merely halfway up one of the walls (which is roughly 20 feet tops).

Can't EVEN imagine doing something of the scale of the rocks in yosemite, much less without a harnass and rope.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I want to see this but as someone who doesn't like heights I get too stressed out watching that kind of thing.