3/4 ST GDT: Cardinals(Wainwright)@Tigers(Fulmer) 12PMCT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Cardinals_Spaceship
Everyday Player

Re: 3/4 ST GDT: Cardinals(Wainwright)@Tigers(Fulmer) 12PMCT

Post by Cardinals_Spaceship »

Jocephus wrote:waino had 6 baserunners in 3 innings but don't know how he "looked"

gomby...oh gomby
On top of the pitching display yesterday ... meanwhile, Dallas Keuchel is sitting by his phone somewhere.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Cardinals_Spaceship wrote:
Jocephus wrote:waino had 6 baserunners in 3 innings but don't know how he "looked"

gomby...oh gomby
On top of the pitching display yesterday ... meanwhile, Dallas Keuchel is sitting by his phone somewhere.
Please don't make me bump the GDTs from Mikolas' appearances last Spring. Pretty please.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

dmarx114 wrote:

gomby...oh gomby
Please don't make me bump the GDTs from Mikolas' appearances last Spring. Pretty please.
Do you have evidence of a pitcher averaging 1.5 WAR for four straight years surging into a 2-3 WAR pitcher at his age?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Wainwright touched 91 and sat 82-88. But he’s tinkering with a splitter for the first time in his career so...

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:

gomby...oh gomby
Do you have evidence of a pitcher averaging 1.5 WAR for four straight years surging into a 2-3 WAR pitcher at his age?
Wainwright is not a matter of age-related decline and regression as much as he's a matter of health and injury. Wainwright was a 1.5 win pitcher in 24 starts. Then a 0.5 win pitcher in 8 starts. The quality is there when he starts to be a 2-3 win pitcher worthy of a #4 or 5 slot in a rotation, and if he's healthy enough to make his starts he will be a 2-3 WAR pitcher.

The question is: can this pitcher, who for five straight years was running about 230 IP/year and who then went 28 IP -> 198 IP -> 123 IP -> 40 IP physically maintain a position in the starting lineup.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I agree that he's been injured but there IS an age cliff so the combination of the two are not on his side. He will be 38 years old during the season.

I'm taking the under on 1 WAR. I do think he can be effective but he's giving up a lot more home runs these days and walking a lot more too. Injury or not, that's his trend.

One big trend I notice taking a steady climb over the past half decade is Waino's hard hit%. He isn't fooling batters like he used to.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Yeah, the fact that this team- in a competitive window- is using Adam Wainwright in the starting rotation is pretty hard to fathom. He's a great Cardinal, accepted a very cheap deal to have a final year here, and the ownership did what they did for that situation.

Obviously, Adam Wainwright is not in the starting rotation if he had previously never played for the Cardinals. I cannot really understand their rationale for not going out and spending money on a starting pitcher with the Carlos injury concerns and Wainwright's age, but they do a lot of things I can't understand these days.