Making Baseball Better

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Making Baseball Better

Post by Fat Strat »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Roster to 26 with 13 pitcher max and September rosters to 28 with 14 pitcher max starting in 2020.
I like the 26 man roster. That's actually going to help guys get paid, I think. That one roster spot trickles down. Teams will be able to have one extra active player with the same number on the 40 man. I'm personally in favor of also expanding the 40 (to 42) but with the same # on the 40 and one more on the roster, that one extra spot is much more likely to go to a veteran or established player rather than the 26th best player on a roster. If we're choosing between adding Drew Robinson AND Yairo Munoz to the roster or bringing in Dallas Keuchel or Gio Gonzales, I think more clubs will choose the latter more often than they do now.

I don't like the 28/14 max in September, unless it comes with the ability to rotate some players through the roster without too many hoops. September is a good opportunity to give some innings, income, and exposure to young players who might become significant players the next season. Or who might otherwise be MLB ready but only making pennies in AAA. Simply getting daily food allowances as a MLB callup is significant money for minor leaguers, not to mention the actual MLB minimum salary earned over a month. They can practically double their income for the year. Teams have and do use those callups as rewards. Financial rewards for performance as well as just being a good soldier. Patrick Wisdom, for example. Limit the active roster to 28 if MLB wants, but make it really easy to pull players on and off that roster from the 40 man.

*Edit: in the 28/14, that really applies to pitchers. You are really only looking at the ability to audition one extra pitcher in September. That's just not enough to get a look at future players without playing with the IL during the season.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Fat Strat wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Roster to 26 with 13 pitcher max and September rosters to 28 with 14 pitcher max starting in 2020.
I like the 26 man roster. That's actually going to help guys get paid, I think. That one roster spot trickles down. Teams will be able to have one extra active player with the same number on the 40 man. I'm personally in favor of also expanding the 40 (to 42) but with the same # on the 40 and one more on the roster, that one extra spot is much more likely to go to a veteran or established player rather than the 26th best player on a roster. If we're choosing between adding Drew Robinson AND Yairo Munoz to the roster or bringing in Dallas Keuchel or Gio Gonzales, I think more clubs will choose the latter more often than they do now.

I don't like the 28/14 max in September, unless it comes with the ability to rotate some players through the roster without too many hoops. September is a good opportunity to give some innings, income, and exposure to young players who might become significant players the next season. Or who might otherwise be MLB ready but only making pennies in AAA. Simply getting daily food allowances as a MLB callup is significant money for minor leaguers, not to mention the actual MLB minimum salary earned over a month. They can practically double their income for the year. Teams have and do use those callups as rewards. Financial rewards for performance as well as just being a good soldier. Patrick Wisdom, for example. Limit the active roster to 28 if MLB wants, but make it really easy to pull players on and off that roster from the 40 man.

*Edit: in the 28/14, that really applies to pitchers. You are really only looking at the ability to audition one extra pitcher in September. That's just not enough to get a look at future players without playing with the IL during the season.
If you're allowed to change the roster every day of which extra players are on the roster then thats the best way of going about it. But I think there might be too much manipulation of leaving off starting pitchers on their off days.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

The Atlantic League is moving the mound to 62.5 feet, making the bases bigger, prohibiting the shift, has a radar enabled strike zone, no mound visits unless for a pitcher change, and a 3 batter minimum.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

that's a tall [expletive] mound

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:The Atlantic League is moving the mound to 62.5 feet, making the bases bigger, prohibiting the shift, has a radar enabled strike zone, no mound visits unless for a pitcher change, and a 3 batter minimum.
I love the radar strike zone, and am indifferent to or dislike everything else.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

they better never get rid of umps

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:The Atlantic League is moving the mound to 62.5 feet, making the bases bigger, prohibiting the shift, has a radar enabled strike zone, no mound visits unless for a pitcher change, and a 3 batter minimum.
I love the radar strike zone, and am indifferent to or dislike everything else.
I feel like this needs to be bigger news. I'm pleased by this.

Umpires should have been gone or been limited in their impact on the game a long time ago.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Umps are a classic staple in the game. We've proven they get the calls right more often than given credit for. And the truly game changing moments are covered with reply anyways.

Digital baseball sounds stupid. I don't like less people being employed either.

How are strike zones adjusted for someone like Kolten Wong who is under 6 foot and someone like Cody Bellinger?

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

One bad call deciding a game, especially a playoff game, is too many, IMO.

I'm very much in favor of a laser/radar/digital/whatever strike zone, and while we're at it put a pressure sensor in the bases and the infielder's gloves to tell if someone's safe or out.

If you want to keep umpires employed for calls of fair or foul down the lines and keeping the game moving at a quick pace, that's fine.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

High Tech baseball sounds goofy. The implementation of it is definitely something I'd have to see first. It could be worse than the current model if done poorly.

The minute they put a runner on second in extra innings, I'm done with baseball.