Making Baseball Better

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Cronos
In perpetuum

Re: Making Baseball Better

Post by Cronos »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:The minute they put a runner on second in extra innings, I'm done with baseball.
That I'm much more in agreement with. That's just stupid.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:High Tech baseball sounds goofy. The implementation of it is definitely something I'd have to see first. It could be worse than the current model if done poorly.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Umps are a classic staple in the game. We've proven they get the calls right more often than given credit for. And the truly game changing moments are covered with reply anyways.

Digital baseball sounds stupid. I don't like less people being employed either.

How are strike zones adjusted for someone like Kolten Wong who is under 6 foot and someone like Cody Bellinger?
Really?

They've been able to calculate spin rates of a baseball for years, but you're worried they can't figure out the difference between heights of players?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Brady Anderson's Combat Baseball

lol man i cant wait til the ballplayers are wearing f*cking rocket shoes

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Umps are a classic staple in the game. We've proven they get the calls right more often than given credit for. And the truly game changing moments are covered with reply anyways.

Digital baseball sounds stupid. I don't like less people being employed either.

How are strike zones adjusted for someone like Kolten Wong who is under 6 foot and someone like Cody Bellinger?
Really?

They've been able to calculate spin rates of a baseball for years, but you're worried they can't figure out the difference between heights of players?
So, how do they do it?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

My guess would be a laser.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Verifying a machine’s accuracy is important, but it’s not the only potential source of issues. Currently, a stringer or operator is responsible for setting the top and bottom of the strike zone for each batter and each plate appearance. That process is subject to error as much as an umpire behind the plate calling strikes.

Even if you had optical detection and software to automatically set the top and bottom of the strike zone, we have the same issues with the accuracy and tolerance of that technology as we do with the radar systems, as well as potential for hacking or tampering to favor one team or another. That of course is if a machine setting of the zone were even feasible; it’s unlikely that a machine would be able to accurately track the top/bottom of the zone in real time as a batter moved in the box. There would also be the likelihood that batters would develop ways to game the optical top/bottom zone detection system much like catchers have developed techniques for pitch framing.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news ... ple-think/

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Well, [expletive].

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Then you have guys like Jeff Bagwell who make their stance with their elbows and knees so close to each other that you couldn't possibly call something close to the head a strike. Height is one thing but then there's stances too.

Easier to just deal with the few times umps are wrong, IMO.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »