GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 17 19, 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: March 12 19, 9:31 am 
Master of Hyperbole

I do not see the need for Shreve AND Cecil. I think Meisinger deserves a spot over both. Webb may even be a better lefty than those two options. Cecil walking Tebow was a bad omen. Ready to cut 'em.

PostPosted: March 12 19, 9:44 am 
Everyday Player

How many more chances does Cecil need to prove that he sucks? He's already sold me.

Gant in the rotation has a very 2007-2008 feel to it. What's Braden Looper up to?

PostPosted: March 12 19, 9:50 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

According to Shildt, Reyes is competing for a bullpen spot.

PostPosted: March 12 19, 10:05 am 
Perennial All-Star

mikolas, flaherty, wacha, wainwright...and i guess hudson the way the spring has gone so far?

PostPosted: March 12 19, 10:48 am 
Master of Hyperbole

cardsfantx wrote:
mikolas, flaherty, wacha, wainwright...and i guess hudson the way the spring has gone so far?

Even if we are generous and project Mikolas 4 WAR and 3.5 WAR from Flaherty, I see at best a 2 WAR from the rest of those starters which is not playoff worthy IMO. Waino is likely a 1 WAR pitcher at this point, if that. Not having CMart blows.

PostPosted: March 12 19, 12:23 pm 
99% conan clips

Quote:
Actually, no. If we're just talking rotation-or-bust, Gant has the edge over Hudson. Why? Because Gant has no options left, meaning he has to pass through waivers if he was sent out. He almost certainly would be claimed, so the Cardinals would lose him. So, Hudson has to pitch so well he forces the Cardinals toward risking losing Gant. Or, Gant could go to the bullpen and Hudson could go into the rotation. But that means you risk losing Gant as starter depth. It's not quite as easy as it seems.
BenFred

an hour ago
Hudson has to have the edge over Gant for the rotation right? Former 1st round pick that's been excellent ever since he's been drafted. He's 24 now, turn him loose
SLH16

PostPosted: March 12 19, 12:44 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Hudson needs to be in the rotation.

Gant can begin the season in the bullpen, and if he needs to spot start, so be it. He's a veteran. It shouldn't be that hard.

PostPosted: March 12 19, 1:25 pm 
The Last Word

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:

Even if we are generous and project Mikolas 4 WAR and 3.5 WAR from Flaherty, I see at best a 2 WAR from the rest of those starters which is not playoff worthy IMO. Waino is likely a 1 WAR pitcher at this point, if that. Not having CMart blows.

Look at the starting rotation of the team that won our division last year.

With a better bullpen, our rotation is absolutely good enough to be a playoff contender.

PostPosted: March 12 19, 5:14 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

Socnorb11 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:

Look at the starting rotation of the team that won our division last year.

With a better bullpen, our rotation is absolutely good enough to be a playoff contender.

I hope you're right.

But our bullpen has a busted up Andrew Miller, Leone is ??, two lefties who are average to bad at best, and Jordan Hicks who still throws way too many pitches to get guys out.

Can we get someone reliable to replace Martinez? Like Keuchel?

PostPosted: March 13 19, 8:12 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Keuchel will be reliably mediocre to bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next