2019 Pitching staff thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 2019 Pitching staff thread

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I do not see the need for Shreve AND Cecil. I think Meisinger deserves a spot over both. Webb may even be a better lefty than those two options. Cecil walking Tebow was a bad omen. Ready to cut 'em.

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

How many more chances does Cecil need to prove that he sucks? He's already sold me.

Gant in the rotation has a very 2007-2008 feel to it. What's Braden Looper up to?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

According to Shildt, Reyes is competing for a bullpen spot.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

mikolas, flaherty, wacha, wainwright...and i guess hudson the way the spring has gone so far?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

cardsfantx wrote:mikolas, flaherty, wacha, wainwright...and i guess hudson the way the spring has gone so far?
Even if we are generous and project Mikolas 4 WAR and 3.5 WAR from Flaherty, I see at best a 2 WAR from the rest of those starters which is not playoff worthy IMO. Waino is likely a 1 WAR pitcher at this point, if that. Not having CMart blows.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Actually, no. If we're just talking rotation-or-bust, Gant has the edge over Hudson. Why? Because Gant has no options left, meaning he has to pass through waivers if he was sent out. He almost certainly would be claimed, so the Cardinals would lose him. So, Hudson has to pitch so well he forces the Cardinals toward risking losing Gant. Or, Gant could go to the bullpen and Hudson could go into the rotation. But that means you risk losing Gant as starter depth. It's not quite as easy as it seems.
BenFred

an hour ago
Hudson has to have the edge over Gant for the rotation right? Former 1st round pick that's been excellent ever since he's been drafted. He's 24 now, turn him loose
SLH16

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Hudson needs to be in the rotation.

Gant can begin the season in the bullpen, and if he needs to spot start, so be it. He's a veteran. It shouldn't be that hard.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:mikolas, flaherty, wacha, wainwright...and i guess hudson the way the spring has gone so far?
Even if we are generous and project Mikolas 4 WAR and 3.5 WAR from Flaherty, I see at best a 2 WAR from the rest of those starters which is not playoff worthy IMO. Waino is likely a 1 WAR pitcher at this point, if that. Not having CMart blows.
Look at the starting rotation of the team that won our division last year.

With a better bullpen, our rotation is absolutely good enough to be a playoff contender.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Look at the starting rotation of the team that won our division last year.

With a better bullpen, our rotation is absolutely good enough to be a playoff contender.
I hope you're right.

But our bullpen has a busted up Andrew Miller, Leone is ??, two lefties who are average to bad at best, and Jordan Hicks who still throws way too many pitches to get guys out.

Can we get someone reliable to replace Martinez? Like Keuchel?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Keuchel will be reliably mediocre to bad.