Random Baseball Musings

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Post by Freed Roger »

why are almost all those baseball songs sung by guys sounding like Ned Flanders.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I just finished my last meeting of the week and at the end my boss asked if I could be in Boston the first week of April. NOOOOO!!! I said I could but he sensed my hesitation and I said it was just because I hate missing the Cardinal Home Opener. He's awesome. Now it looks like it will be the second week of April, we'll confirm Monday if I go or not.

Not many bosses would let me delay a trip to work on something as important as the commission calculators just so I could go to the Cardinal Home Opener.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The fact that was fifteen years ago makes me less than happy

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

not sure where else to put it...
“Candidly, I don’t think it needs to be reinforced,” manager Mike Shildt said when asked if the Brewers showed the upside of contact. “They put it in play and deserve the credit for it. It’s something that is just – important. It’s something that, especially in this game today … It’s hard to survive with 15 strikeouts.”

The next day they did, with 17.

The Cardinals have set an absurd pace for strikeouts through the first week of the season. With at least 10 strikeouts in every game and 32 in the previous two, the Cardinals lead the National League with 64 strikeouts through five games. No other NL team has more than 47. The only team in baseball with more strikeouts is the Mariners (66), and they’ve already played seven games. This is a spike in what really has been a creeping trend for the Cardinals (and baseball in general).

This past season was the first when the Cardinals had fewer hits (1,369) than strikeouts (1,380), but it marked the fourth consecutive season that the Cardinals had reset the club record for strikeouts in a season. Before 2015, the Cardinals had never had 1,200 strikeouts in a season. They’ve had more than 1,300 in each of the previous three seasons. It’s silly to say this – but it’s illustrative – so at their current rate, they’ll strike out 2,073 times.
If strikeouts were writing as an average, they’d be at .358.

Cubs .327 BA, .177 KA
Brewers .265 BA, .247 KA
Pirates .206 BA, .245 KA
Reds .200 BA, .274 KA

Cardinals .229 BA, .358 KA
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 7fbcc.html

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

No surprise. Mo has shifted from a contact team to a launch angle team.

Goldschmidt leads the team in Ks too, ironically enough.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

cardsfantx wrote:not sure where else to put it...
That's what she said

Or

That's what he said?

It's what someone said.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MLB takes over Dodgertown, gives it new name
The former Dodgertown spring training camp will now be named the Jackie Robinson Training Complex and be used for Major League Baseball's amateur development initiatives.

Then based in Brooklyn, the Dodgers started training in Vero Beach in 1948. The franchise moved to Los Angeles after the 1957 season but kept spring training at Vero Beach through 2008. The team shifted to Glendale, Arizona, the following year.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Grichuk gets 5 years, $52M from the Blue Jays.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:
This damn well better include Waino-Beltran's Uncle Charley. Best damned pitch execution I ever saw. The whole AB was a pitching clinic for the ages.