2019 Pitching staff thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Cardinals_Spaceship
Everyday Player

Re: 2019 Pitching staff thread

Post by Cardinals_Spaceship »

If Hudson wins the rotation spot, wonder if that means the Cardinals will trade Gant. I like Gant quite a bit, and think he’s a good back end starter or solid reliever, but if he’s in the bullpen that might push out someone like Mayers or maybe even Reyes? Either way, could see signs pointing to a trade before the end of spring training. That’s just a thought.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Cecil is toast. Last 2 times out he's walked, and hit a batter, respectively. I'd put him in extended ST with Carlos. There's no way he finds his way being the last guy out of the bullpen.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Cecil is toast. Last 2 times out he's walked, and hit a batter, respectively. I'd put him in extended ST with Carlos. There's no way he finds his way being the last guy out of the bullpen.
Right when he was poised to be the feel-meh story of the year.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Cardinals_Spaceship wrote:If Hudson wins the rotation spot, wonder if that means the Cardinals will trade Gant. I like Gant quite a bit, and think he’s a good back end starter or solid reliever, but if he’s in the bullpen that might push out someone like Mayers or maybe even Reyes? Either way, could see signs pointing to a trade before the end of spring training. That’s just a thought.
I think Gant will stick in the bullpen. Reyes should probably start in the Memphis rotation and be in the St. Louis rotation later this season when the inevitable injury/ineffectiveness/impotent issue happens with one or more of the starters. Cecil should be sent to Memphis and the Cardinals can pray someone would grab him off waivers. Or just rocketed toward Alpha Centauri.

TigCards
All-Star

Post by TigCards »

Brett Cecil - “ How I duped the St. Louis Cardinals into paying me stupid money for doing nothing “ .

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

TigCards wrote:Brett Cecil - “ How I duped the St. Louis Cardinals into paying me stupid money for doing nothing “ .
Now now. That 0.5 WAR wasn't just going to amass itself.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

heyzeus wrote:
TigCards wrote:Brett Cecil - “ How I duped the St. Louis Cardinals into paying me stupid money for doing nothing “ .
Now now. That 0.5 WAR wasn't just going to amass itself.

The most unWARranted contract I've ever seen.
Last edited by sighyoung on March 15 19, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Brett Cecil, the hero of Leo Tolstoy's great novel Half WAR and Piece.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Cecil was the top lefty reliever available in that FA class. It's not like the front office knew he was going to turn into one of the worst pitchers in baseball.

TigCards
All-Star

Post by TigCards »

Was it a weak lefty reliever available free agent class ?