2018 - 2019 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: 2018 - 2019 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by JCShutout »

Binnington is a rookie. He's coming along fine. Ups and downs are normal.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

If you compare Binnington's hot start as a rookie to other players, even Allen, it doesn't give a lot of hope that he'll continue that.

There is a reason Allen got a 4 year deal. At one time he felt like he could be a starter just like Binnington feels. I hope he continues like this for years and comes along fine, but the odds are he's never going to repeat the last 20 games and there's a reason he was considered a AAAA goalie at best before the start of the season.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

TheoSqua wrote:If you compare Binnington's hot start as a rookie to other players, even Allen, it doesn't give a lot of hope that he'll continue that.

There is a reason Allen got a 4 year deal. At one time he felt like he could be a starter just like Binnington feels. I hope he continues like this for years and comes along fine, but the odds are he's never going to repeat the last 20 games and there's a reason he was considered a AAAA goalie at best before the start of the season.
Goalies are a different animal. They take longer to develop. He's 25. Someone on LGB looked at average age of rookie goalies awhile ago and it was 24.

I'm not saying Binnington is the next Ben Bishop or anything, I'm just saying that Binnington's development doesn't necessarily mean he's a AAAA guy on a hot streak. His last 2 years in AAA he had save percentages of .911, .926, and followed that with .927 this year before being called up. (While Husso really struggled) Those aren't bad numbers. They are really close to Bishop's last years in AAA. Otoh, Binny only played in 60 games in those two years, and I'm not going to pretend I saw any of those games. Basically, its a small sample, and more data is needed. The (admittedly few) reports I've dug around and seen indicate he looked like a guy who could be a solid NHL goalie but was buried behind other prospects.

He has shown some solid fundamentals and the ability to move on quickly after a bad goal or game. We will see if the league adjusts to him, or if he comes down to earth, or if he continues to play well. He might have developed and improved. He might be on hot streak.

Before he got here, Carter Hutton was a career backup. Brian Elliot was, iirc, statistically one of the worst goalies in the league the year before he joined the Blues. You never know. I don't see anything in Binnington's numbers that scream superstar, but good backup or solid starter would not surprise me. If he was out of the league before next October I wouldn't necessarily be surprised. Goalies are just really hard to scout.

Ride him for as long as he's playing well.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Tarasenko out at least 4 games.

Uh oh.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

GeddyWrox wrote:Tarasenko out at least 4 games.

Uh oh.
He'll just be better rested for the playoffs.

8-[

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

mikechamp wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:Tarasenko out at least 4 games.

Uh oh.
He'll just be better rested for the playoffs.

8-[
Would've liked to have the team back at full strength, though, because of the chance to catch Winnipeg &/or Nashville.
Any further word on Perron?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Perron didn't travel with the team on the recent trip. He was practicing with them before that though. So it sounds like he's somewhat close, but could still be days or weeks out. Concussions - sorry, "upper body injuries" - are hard to predict.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

dropped back now to the top wild card spot (only ahead there by 2)

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

They're the Blues. Did you really expect this to end well?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Their second line last night had Bozak and Maroon on it.