GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 20 19, 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: April 5 19, 8:01 am 
Master of Hyperbole

Cubs pitching is about where Cardinals’ pitching is. It’ll get better and they will probably still be the team to beat. Bump in June.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 8:06 am 
I'm a jerker by nature....

go birds wrote:
NDark wrote:
go birds wrote:
yea that aint gonna last

What about the other half of baseball? Pitching was seen as their problem right?

it's not like the nl central as a whole is loaded with great pitching.
LOL that's true, but the Cards' pen is OK. The Cubs paid Yu Darvish a king's ransom and he's been awful!

PostPosted: April 5 19, 9:14 am 
Hall Of Famer

The combo of Rizzo/Bryant used to be pretty terrifying. Rizzo has declined:

2016 wRC+ = 145, ISO = .252
2017 wRC+ = 134, ISO = .234
2018 wRC+ = 125, ISO = .187

He's still only 29 and so maybe some of this is just random variation and not all due to some kind of decline. I think they are going to need Baez to be a monster again, and he could be. We'll see.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 9:47 am 
Master of Hyperbole

pioneer98 wrote:

He's still only 29 and so maybe some of this is just random variation and not all due to some kind of decline. I think they are going to need Baez to be a monster again, and he could be. We'll see.

Rizzo had back and foot injuries in 2018. I think he'll be back. 125 wRC+ is also not terrible lol. He's also crushing it so far this year.

Cubs' problem is pitching. Their offense smokes ours.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 2:04 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Small Sample Size, let's revisit after we're 25 games into the season for an autopsy on the Cubs as a whole. That said....

--Carl Edwards was a monster for them last year and has been hot garbage. His walk rate is something like 50BB/9IP right now. Sudden drop-off, which RP often do? Or a small bump in the road?

--Yu Darvish can't find the strike zone. Small bump in the road, or will he fail to get right?

--As a team they have something like a 17% walk rate through six games. That is impossible to sustain, like you can't walk that many batters over even a quarter season if your P staff are all blind and throwing with their off hand.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 2:19 pm 
Hall Of Famer

What's wrong with the Cubs? Absolutely nothing! They just need to keep doing what they're doing.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 2:45 pm 
I'm a jerker by nature....

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

Rizzo had back and foot injuries in 2018. I think he'll be back. 125 wRC+ is also not terrible lol. He's also crushing it so far this year.

Cubs' problem is pitching. Their offense smokes ours.

Yes, for now they do. When YOU HAVE 3 REGS Mendoza (or worse) you're gonna lose a lotta games. Nobody is hitting .300....not even Wong (+.400) Bader is 2nd in BA, over .100 pts behind.

Whatever could we do to rectify this Mendoza situation???

PostPosted: April 5 19, 3:16 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
Yes, for now they do. When YOU HAVE 3 REGS Mendoza (or worse) you're gonna lose a lotta games. Nobody is hitting .300....not even Wong (+.400) Bader is 2nd in BA, over .100 pts behind.

Whatever could we do to rectify this Mendoza situation???

Subject them to public ridicule?

https://products.kitsapsun.com/archive/1991/08-06/4354_valle_kingdome-area_bar_toasting_.html

Quote:
Life isn't easy when you're on the road to becoming the worst hitter in the history of baseball. Just ask .152hitting Mariners catcher Dave Valle.

A couple of weeks ago, a restaurant and bar near the Kingdome, Swannie's, launched a special promotion, brilliantly entitled "Dave Valle Days."

The way this works is whatever Valle's batting average is, that's what you pay for a beer. So the current price is $1.52, up from $1.36 when the clearly inspirational Dave Valle Days began.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 7:06 pm 
The Last Word

Cubs' pitching is a dumpster fire, with no help in sight. I'm not sure that their offense is good enough to overcome it.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 7:47 pm 
Everyday Player

The Cubs look really bad. Will they continue to struggle like this? Maybe, but I think they’ll figure it out. They do risk falling behind the Brewers and Cardinals early and digging themselves a big hole to climb out of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next