Orioles sign Chris Davis 7/161

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Re: Orioles sign Chris Davis 7/161

Post by Mary1966 »

Record for hitless streak is 46. Davis could reach that tomorrow.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

It has to be the worst contract of all-time, no?

I didn't want that contract at the time, but I said, "it's not as bad as it looks because of the deferrals."

No, Lance, it's absolutely worse than it looks.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

phins wrote:It has to be the worst contract of all-time, no?

I didn't want that contract at the time, but I said, "it's not as bad as it looks because of the deferrals."

Kevin Brown - 7/100 in 1999. First 100 million dollar contract. I always thought this was as bad as they come but he actually had several good years after the contract.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This is the blurb currently on his Fangraphs page:
Profile: Once upon a time, there was a first baseman whose home run power hid massive flaws in his game. When his club signed him to a lengthy contract extension, there was much grumbling. I am, of course, talking about Ryan Howard. Oh, and Chris Davis too. In terms of ludicrously terrible contracts, the two will be forever linked. The Orioles are still on the hook for four years and $92MM. This after having already paid $69MM for almost instant decline. To Davis’ credit, he did manage 2.8 wins above replacement in the first year of the contract. That’s… not bad. Since then, he’s checked in at exactly three wins below replacement level including his horror show 2018 campaign. The Orioles might not find another 522 plate appearances for Davis if he continues to bat .168/.243/.296. Surprisingly, his batted ball profile has remained remarkably consistent, lending some hope for a dead cat bounce. (Brad Johnson)

The Quick Opinion: There are dead cats and then there cats so thoroughly corpsefied and gross that their very bones have been reduced to a fine powder. Davis may bounce in 2019. Or his bone dust might drift away in the first spring breeze.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
phins wrote:It has to be the worst contract of all-time, no?

Kevin Brown - 7/100 in 1999. First 100 million dollar contract. I always thought this was as bad as they come but he actually had several good years after the contract.
Not even close. Brown was one of the best pitchers in the game, and continued to be an excellent pitcher when healthy after that signing.

Darren Dreifort is usually the contract I think of as being the worst from that era. Coming into the contract, he was as mediocre as they come, and hadn't even had a 200 IP season (not even a workhorse). Then he gets 5 years and $57MM - a huge contract at the time. 205.2 IP total over those 5 years. Shockingly, continued to be mediocre to bad.

Worst of the modern era is no doubt Chris Davis. And the Orioles only competed with themselves to sign him.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

cardsfantx wrote: this deal on Davis is terrible...O's will be hating life in like year 3 of that deal
I wrote this in January 2016

I was way off, by saying year 3 of the deal lol

One could argue the first year was just "ok" in 2016, and it def has been a disaster ever since

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Phil
12:11
Is the Chris Davis contract the worst of all time?

Dan Szymborski
12:11
The Pujols fail portion of his contract is larger than Davis's entire deal
CamdenWarehouse
12:32
Pujols at least has racked up some WAR over his contract

Balked
12:33
What is the most money a team decided to absorb just to cut a failing player (e.g. if the Orioles decided to waive Chris Davis at the end of this season)?

Dan Szymborski
12:34
The NPV of Davis's contract was like $126 million at the time he was signed. This isn't like Sutter; the O's got that money deferred *without interest*
Pujols has been worse than that.
I rather lose $50 than get $5 back of $100.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

This is a first for me: I'm going to defend the Pujols deal as not being that bad.
I rather lose $50 than get $5 back of $100.
First of all, "I would rather...." Mr. Writer Man.

And it's not $50 vs $100, or 1:2.

$161 vs $240, or 2:3. That's a super important point. Pujols isn't double, he's 50% more money, and it's spread over 3 more years. You're not losing 50 vs getting 5% back on 100. You're losing 2, plus paying another 2 in negative WAR over the rest of this deal vs something like coming out even on 3.

Davis is -0.6 fWAR with 4 years left -- probably all dead money which including this year will be $92MM
Pujols is +6.9 fWAR with 3 years left -- probably all dead money which including this year will be $87MM

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Dan S. is obviously undervaluing the Personal Services Contract portion of Pujols' deal. He's going to return a lot of value to the Angel franchise as one of the most popular players in St. Louis history promoting LA's most famous team located in Anaheim.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Feels like a good time to bring this into the conversation
3 Inches Squishy wrote:If you had told Mozeliak Albert would have 188 HR 653 RBIs after only 7 years, he would have jumped at the chance to sign him for $250 million.

Owners only worry about the player being on the DL for 3-4 years out of the contract.

You guys are delusional if you think Albert Pujols is "costing" anyone while averaging 26 HR 94 RBIs a season? His WAR could be -14. Owners wouldn't care.

The dude is averaging 10 more RBIs than Matt Carpenter has ever had in one season!

You can't ask for more productivity than 188 HRs 653 RBIs in 7 years?

Esp considering Albert is probably worth $25 million a year to owners just sitting in the dugout?

Albert's contract couldn't be going much better, IF you're realistic?

But sure, if you're determined to say it was a mistake, then just point to "WAR" or whatever stupid little stat that proves how "bad" the contract is?

Meanwhile, back in reality, Mo would have taken 26 HR 94 RBIs in a freakin heartbeat!

Dewitt was only worried about 3-4 years of "0 HR 0 RBIs".

You've got to be one stupid **** to think 188 HR 653 RBIs in 7 years isn't enough.