Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire

Post by Arthur Dent »

Once a fire like this gets going, is it even possible to extinguish?

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

It was reported on CNN that its being hypothesized that the fire was started accidentally, by the people who were renovating the cathedral. Since the fire first was seen at 5:50PM local time, and appeared to start near the scaffolding in place for the renovation, this is a plausible theory. I hope none of the renovators were killed or injured.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Mary1966 wrote:It was reported on CNN that its being hypothesized that the fire was started accidentally, by the people who were renovating the cathedral. Since the fire first was seen at 5:50PM local time, and appeared to start near the scaffolding in place for the renovation, this is a plausible theory. I hope none of the renovators were killed or injured.
I have seen a few people on Twitter propose that the fire was arson caused by atheists in the thread from the firefighter expert guy from St. Louis (did I see that here I think?) but I ignore their thoughts based on the fact that they all seemed to have 'conservative' mentioned in their Twitter handle.

I also work with a guy from Scotland and he was saying that fires like this happen all of the time in churches in Europe during renovations, just not always on one so historic. He pointed out that other than the stone, the buildings are constructed of nothing but combustible materials that have had a few hundred years to dry out and turn into kindling just ready to erupt if a worker restoring the place leaves something hot sitting in the wrong place. He said the fires start quick and once they start, you aren't stopping them unless you get really lucky.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Yup. My father worked at an old church that had a renovation fire back at n the day. Left three walls standing and they rebuilt from that.
Not to say this couldn't be terrorism but let's rule out the likely scenarios first.
The Russian bots must be thrilled though

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I mean, of course I thought about terrorism first, because of the massive symbolic value of the cathedral. But sounds more like a renovation fire, which is still just as tragic. I never got to see it. I hope nobody was injured in the fire.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

tlombard wrote:
Mary1966 wrote:It was reported on CNN that its being hypothesized that the fire was started accidentally, by the people who were renovating the cathedral. Since the fire first was seen at 5:50PM local time, and appeared to start near the scaffolding in place for the renovation, this is a plausible theory. I hope none of the renovators were killed or injured.
I have seen a few people on Twitter propose that the fire was arson caused by atheists in the thread from the firefighter expert guy from St. Louis (did I see that here I think?) but I ignore their thoughts based on the fact that they all seemed to have 'conservative' mentioned in their Twitter handle.

I also work with a guy from Scotland and he was saying that fires like this happen all of the time in churches in Europe during renovations, just not always on one so historic. He pointed out that other than the stone, the buildings are constructed of nothing but combustible materials that have had a few hundred years to dry out and turn into kindling just ready to erupt if a worker restoring the place leaves something hot sitting in the wrong place. He said the fires start quick and once they start, you aren't stopping them unless you get really lucky.
What fire expert guy from STL?

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Looks like the towers will be saved.

We spent a weekend in Paris back in ‘07. We had to walk everywhere due to a transit strike. Saw the Eiffel Tower and Louvre but ran out of time and missed ND. Dammit. Cross that one of the retirement bucket list. :(

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

lukethedrifter wrote:
tlombard wrote:

What fire expert guy from STL?
This guy has a few Tweets on the fire and they are filled with good information. He brings up all kinds of factors that have to be considered when trying to fight a fire like this like wind, height, angles, available equipment, etc.

https://twitter.com/GreggFavre?ref_src= ... tosize%3D1

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I was lucky enough to visit it. Simply amazing place. Sad day.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Oh. Gregg. He’s a friend. Thought you were saying he’s a conservative (though he was on Team Greitens, he’s more JFK/Biden Dem) but a reread clears up that you referred to commenters on his tweet.