Jeopardy

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Jeopardy

Post by CardsofSTL »

https://www.distractify.com/p/new-jeopa ... ks-records
Whether or not you follow Jeopardy!, you probably heard the news: The gameshow has a new all-star, and he officially holds the second highest winnings in the history of Jeopardy! after Ken Jennings. It also doesn't hurt that he's pretty adorable. The contestant's name is James Holzhauer, and Monday marks his eighth consecutive win on the show. Today's Jeopardy! winnings helped Holzhauer rack up a total of $460,479. In 2004, Ken Jennings ended up with $2,520,700 after winning 74 games in a row, and before Holzhauer, there was Dave Madden, who won $430,400 after 19 games in 2005. Still, Holzhauer is in awesome company — and it's not too late to beat Jennings' high score.

Have you guys heard about or seen this guy on Jeopardy? He's unstoppable.

Also it sucks that Alex Trebek has cancer.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Jeopardy

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote: Also it sucks that Alex Trebek has cancer.
Who's hosting while he does chemo? Vanna White?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote: Also it sucks that Alex Trebek has cancer.
Who's hosting while he does chemo? Vanna White?
He said he was going to finish this season before beginning treatment.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I wonder if they're starting to make a short list of potential replacements for Trebeck. Since even if he somehow beats the cancer he'll still be close to 80 and it might be coming time to start thinking about the future of the show regardless. But those will be very big shoes to have to fill especially considering the circumstances of getting the job.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

obligatory

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I've been watching him, but the last thing I would call him is "adorable". He comes off as an arrogant a-hole who smiles like a robot which needs a squirt WD-40.

He's had amazing luck finding the daily doubles, makes big wagers on them, and usually nails them. He gets all 3 almost every game. Though a huge part of that is that he controls the board most of the game. I get the feeling that like Ken Jennings, he's a master of timing the buzzer. Plus he has a pretty wide range of knowledge, much like Jennings.

He's going to be tough to take down. He'll have to lose a couple big wagers on daily doubles and run up against a player who is equally good at the buzzer. Though last night he lost a $8400 "true daily double" in the first round, and still ended up with over $100,000 on the night. Insane.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

one of conans writers was a 5 time jeopardy winner and thinks buzz skill is crucial

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

Popeye_Card wrote:I've been watching him, but the last thing I would call him is "adorable". He comes off as an arrogant a-hole who smiles like a robot which needs a squirt WD-40.

He's had amazing luck finding the daily doubles, makes big wagers on them, and usually nails them. He gets all 3 almost every game. Though a huge part of that is that he controls the board most of the game. I get the feeling that like Ken Jennings, he's a master of timing the buzzer. Plus he has a pretty wide range of knowledge, much like Jennings.

He's going to be tough to take down. He'll have to lose a couple big wagers on daily doubles and run up against a player who is equally good at the buzzer. Though last night he lost a $8400 "true daily double" in the first round, and still ended up with over $100,000 on the night. Insane.
I thought your last paragraph almost verbatim after watching him last night. Dude is an absolute death machine.

I also agree that I'm not sure where the 'adorable' is coming from. He's fun as hell to watch, and it's cool that he's constantly paying tribute to people with wagers that match their birthdates, but 'adorable' is not a word I'd use on him.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

ndistops wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I've been watching him, but the last thing I would call him is "adorable". He comes off as an arrogant a-hole who smiles like a robot which needs a squirt WD-40.

I thought your last paragraph almost verbatim after watching him last night. Dude is an absolute death machine.

I also agree that I'm not sure where the 'adorable' is coming from. He's fun as hell to watch, and it's cool that he's constantly paying tribute to people with wagers that match their birthdates, but 'adorable' is not a word I'd use on him.
I was hoping someone would question the adorable comment.

HardcoreCardsFan
All-Star

Post by HardcoreCardsFan »

I had a friend in elementary school and junior high (I moved after that and we went to different high schools) who was in the Jeopardy Teen Tournament in 2012. Dude was a literal genius. I still talk to him once in a blue moon.