darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Getting into shape

Post by lukethedrifter »

Why?

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Lfit weights? Something to do and I can say I'm exercising I guess. Most old people health problems can be prevented by being physically strong and you can maintain independent living much longer. Hopefully those concerns are like 60 years away, but I'd like to get a head start on it.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

compensating for tiny hands

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

The smallest hands, really.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

MAGA wrote:Lfit weights? Something to do and I can say I'm exercising I guess. Most old people health problems can be prevented by being physically strong and you can maintain independent living much longer. Hopefully those concerns are like 60 years away, but I'd like to get a head start on it.
Lifting weights is a great idea. Staying fit and healthy is the best way to live if you’re able.
Getting swole seems to be a mostly ego thing. I see a lot of it in my field. My question was why try to hit 225 with the good and bad that goes with it? Doesn’t seem to be about health but maybe you are a skinny big dude with the frame to take on that weight.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The team from my building in our work league needed somebody to pitch for them last night so I filled in after my game with my normal team in the league and I felt the two games this morning. Thankfully once I got up and moving (walked a few blocks to Shaw Market before heading into work) my legs are feeling pretty darn good. Just the extra walking I've started doing the past month or so seems to have helped. Now hopefully we don't start getting rained out constantly and I can play three games a week and be feeling even better going forward. I have a feeling that it is going to rain every Thursday for awhile though because that's the night I really look forward to.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I decided to give TR/JFK's challenge a shot yesterday and hiked 50 miles in a little under 16 and 1/4 hours. Most difficult thing I've ever done.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

JCShutout wrote:I decided to give TR/JFK's challenge a shot yesterday and hiked 50 miles in a little under 16 and 1/4 hours. Most difficult thing I've ever done.
great job JC. What is TR/ JFK? That is a fast ass hiking pace.

There is a lot for me to learn about ultra stuff. I goof around in that arena because it interests me. Being able to keep yourself in the zone and pulling yourself out of bad patches is key. Hydrating and eating matters big time too. When I am out over 3 -4 hours exerting myself, it gets funky.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Freed Roger wrote:
JCShutout wrote:I decided to give TR/JFK's challenge a shot yesterday and hiked 50 miles in a little under 16 and 1/4 hours. Most difficult thing I've ever done.
great job JC. What is TR/ JFK? That is a fast ass hiking pace.

There is a lot for me to learn about ultra stuff. I goof around in that arena because it interests me. Being able to keep yourself in the zone and pulling yourself out of bad patches is key. Hydrating and eating matters big time too. When I am out over 3 -4 hours exerting myself, it gets funky.
It was on the Katy Trail, which is a pretty level and wide trail. Basically the equivalent to a packed gravel road. So not, "hiking" in the sense of climbing hills or anything.

I was referring to Teddy Roosevelt and John Kennedy. They both challenged the military to perform 50 mile marches in 20 hours. TR originally said it had to happen over 3 days, though the distance had to be covered in 20 hours of actual marching, but some marines at the time did it all at once. After TR left office the benchmark got dropped, but was picked up again by JFK, who issued the challenge to the marines. Before the military could attempt it, Bobby Kennedy jumped in and did the march in the snow in dress shoes in just under 18 hours. (and supposedly went ice skating with his kids the next day) It became a bit of a civilian thing after that.

I agree that hydrating and eating are big time keys. I brought 9 liters of water and drank it all, and brought lots of protein bars and trail mix and chocolate and I ate most of it. I also brought 4 changes of socks to prevent blistering. It really is as much or more a mental thing than a physical thing. I mean, yes, you can train for it, but at some point, there will be pain, and lots of it. Every step will be pain for hours and hours and you just have to decide that you aren't the kind of person who quits.

Pain fades. The body heals. On to the next challenge.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Did you do this solo, in non-event? That stuff makes it especially tough.

Lost Valley is out 94 -10.5 mile loop. Not terribly hilly but some great scenery. Give that a go. You can refuel each loop. But have to have the willpower to not call it a day at that loop.