GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 22 19, 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Media bias?
PostPosted: January 20 17, 2:22 am 
Perennial All-Star

cardsfansince82 wrote:
It's a direct byproduct of cable news channels giving all of the airtime to professional opinion havers. People have lost all ability to distinguish between news and opinion, so now the default is that all media is opinion.

Part of this is because so much of our news and culture have been de-monetized by the internet in a movement that started about 20 years ago and is now beginning to wane slightly, for the better.

Pay for a Beatles album? Nah, get on Napster.
Pay to see a movie in a theater? Nah, grab the torrent off the internet, someone has put their streamer DVD up.
Pay for a daily newspaper? Nah, why bother, I can just use the web to find the news I want instead of dealing with all that news I don't want.

So many blogs with so many opinions, so many sites from Breitbart on the right to Occupy Democrats on the left that just feed you and feed you only your personalized stream of news (that's really opinion masquerading). The local news affiliates and the cable networks like CNN have to keep up, or they risk going out of business, so they fish where the fish are. And the fish are the people who would rather cheer for someone arguing their side than read or watch an investigative report that's full of facts. So they air the people arguing from polarized standpoints and, because there's no dough in real news, they cut their investigative teams and don't really explore and examine issues.

But now streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music and Netflix and hulu have people paying for content again, as a package. And newspaper subscriptions, while they're not at 1920 levels, are coming back. So that's a good thing.

PostPosted: January 20 17, 9:41 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

themiddle54 wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:
It's a direct byproduct of cable news channels giving all of the airtime to professional opinion havers. People have lost all ability to distinguish between news and opinion, so now the default is that all media is opinion.

Part of this is because so much of our news and culture have been de-monetized by the internet in a movement that started about 20 years ago and is now beginning to wane slightly, for the better.

Pay for a Beatles album? Nah, get on Napster.
Pay to see a movie in a theater? Nah, grab the torrent off the internet, someone has put their streamer DVD up.
Pay for a daily newspaper? Nah, why bother, I can just use the web to find the news I want instead of dealing with all that news I don't want.

So many blogs with so many opinions, so many sites from Breitbart on the right to Occupy Democrats on the left that just feed you and feed you only your personalized stream of news (that's really opinion masquerading). The local news affiliates and the cable networks like CNN have to keep up, or they risk going out of business, so they fish where the fish are. And the fish are the people who would rather cheer for someone arguing their side than read or watch an investigative report that's full of facts. So they air the people arguing from polarized standpoints and, because there's no dough in real news, they cut their investigative teams and don't really explore and examine issues.

But now streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music and Netflix and hulu have people paying for content again, as a package. And newspaper subscriptions, while they're not at 1920 levels, are coming back. So that's a good thing.

PostPosted: January 20 17, 9:50 am 
bronoun enthusiast

People are tribal and have confirmation bias deep in our evolutionary instincts. Objectivity and empathy aren't as natural as fear and suspicion.

We are powerless against the deluge of information the internet age has presented us and ill-equipped to parse it all.

I think this is just how it is now without some new dogma to guide us and the media is just an expression of the humans that consume it.

PostPosted: May 2 19, 9:37 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Haven't listened to NPR lately, (skipping the daily kick in the nuts). But listened last night going home from work to hear about Barr testimony.

They had some awful senator Trumper from TN -Marsha Blackburn(sp?). I really do not see the point in giving her airtime. There isn't enough time for NPR to ask follow ups or provide context (like what other crazy [expletive] this lady says -ask the creationism climate change denier if she believe Jesus rode around on dinosaurs ffs).
the interviewer tried to ask, if investigation of Trump should be considered closed , why then do you investigate Mueller investigation source. ? Her reply was about holding govt.agencies accountable and searching out bad actors blah blah blah. Then interview ends -no question about Trump bad actors like Manafort Flynn and their Russian oligarchs etc etc etc.

Clearly you can tell she is bat [expletive] crazy, but still what is the point of spreading it, normalizing her fascism. ?

In effect NPR trolling the listeners.

Last edited by Freed Roger on May 2 19, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 2 19, 9:46 am 
Perennial All-Star

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-chris ... be-1412304

Quote:
Fox News host Chris Wallace on Wednesday warned viewers that some opinion-based coverage of special counsel Robert Mueller’s letter to Attorney General William Barr on his own network may be biased and to set the record straight, he went over the “facts.”

Without naming specifically which hosts he was referring to, Wallace urged viewers to focus on the “facts” and to disregard the other Fox News figures downplaying of the significance of Mueller’s letter during a Wednesday appearance on Shepard Smith Reporting.

“I know there are some people who don’t think this March 27 letter is a big deal,” Wallace said. “Some opinion people, some opinion people who appear on this network, who may be pushing a political agenda.”

“But, you know, we have to deal in facts. And the fact is that this letter from the special counsel, and it was one of at least three contacts with the Attorney General between March 25 and March 27, was a clear indication that the [special counsel] was upset, very upset, with the letter that had been sent out by the Attorney General, and wanted it changed, or wanted it at least added to and the Attorney General refused to do so,” he continued. “He felt the Attorney General’s letter was inaccurate.”

“What he says in the letter is, ‘You didn’t reflect what we found in the report,’ and there were a lot of people—having read now the full report, or as much as it has not been redacted—agree that he didn’t reveal what was fully in the report,” the host added.

“Again, those aren’t opinions, that’s not a political agenda, those are the facts.”

PostPosted: May 2 19, 9:51 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Freed Roger wrote:
Haven't listened to NPR lately, (skipping the daily kick in the nuts). But listened last night going home from work to hear about Barr testimony.

They had some awful senator Trumper from TN -Marsha Blackburn(sp?). I really do not see the point in giving her airtime. There isn't enough time for NPR to ask follow ups or provide context (like what other crazy [expletive] this lady says -ask the creationism climate change denier if she believe Jesus rode around on dinosaurs ffs).
the interviewer tried to ask, if investigation of Trump should be considered closed , why then do you investigate Mueller investigation source. ? Her reply was about holding govt.agencies accountable and searching out bad actors blah blah blah. Then interview ends -no question about Trump bad actors like Manafort Flynn and their Russian oligarchs etc etc etc.

Clearly you can tell she is bat [expletive] crazy, but still what is the point of spreading it, normalizing her fascism. ?

They are usually pretty good about putting a politician's statements in context. They'll interview someone, Democrats and Republicans both, then have a reporter standing by who covers that topic and do a short discussion of what the politician just said to place it in context, fact check it, discuss their motives for making the statement they just made, etc. Probably not a perfect solution but better than what TV news does, which is to always fall back on partisan pundits for analysis.

You have to figure that politicians are always partisan and always trying to advance a narrative that is advantageous to their party. Republicans are gonna be Republicans, even on NPR.

PostPosted: May 2 19, 10:03 am 

G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

They are usually pretty good about putting a politician's statements in context. They'll interview someone, Democrats and Republicans both, then have a reporter standing by who covers that topic and do a short discussion of what the politician just said to place it in context, fact check it, discuss their motives for making the statement they just made, etc. Probably not a perfect solution but better than what TV news does, which is to always fall back on partisan pundits for analysis.

You have to figure that politicians are always partisan and always trying to advance a narrative that is advantageous to their party. Republicans are gonna be Republicans, even on NPR.

I don't think so. i heard no context.

Incredible as it is that she is a senator and on the committee, they are not obliged to Trumpet her propaganda.
Same thing with The asswipe OK senator Foghorn Langhorne or some [expletive] like that is on speed dial with NPR. No context ever. They haven't enough time. Meanwhile I am in my car formulating questions I'd like asked

Maybe no context is needed, it is that blatant. But I do not see need to listen to it either. What does it help to wonder how people of OK TN SC TX MO etc can elect such asswipes. Waste of airtime. Just update us on schweaty balls instead.

PostPosted: May 2 19, 10:16 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Freed Roger wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

Incredible as it is that she is a senator and on the committee, they are not obliged to Trumpet her propaganda.
Same thing with The asswipe OK senator Foghorn Langhorne or some [expletive] like that is on speed dial with NPR. No context ever. They haven't enough time. Meanwhile I am in my car formulating questions I'd like asked

Maybe no context is needed, it is that blatant. But I do not see need to listen to it either. What does it help to wonder how people of OK TN SC TX MO etc can elect such asswipes. Waste of airtime. Just update us on schweaty balls instead.

Yeah, they don't always do it and sometimes partisan spin is put out there uncontested. So it goes.

PostPosted: May 2 19, 10:48 am 
Perennial All-Star

Freed Roger wrote:

Marsha Blackburn fancies herself as a female Trump. She is awful. Her opponent in last year's election was a pretty moderate Democrat who served as Tennessee's governor from 2003-2011 (he was popular - reelected with 70% of the vote for his second term), and a lot of people were hyping up his chances of scoring an upset. He was beaten very easily. I've lost all hope when it comes to Tennessee politics.

PostPosted: May 2 19, 11:46 am 

G. Keenan wrote:
Spoiler: show
Freed Roger wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

Maybe no context is needed, it is that blatant. But I do not see need to listen to it either. What does it help to wonder how people of OK TN SC TX MO etc can elect such asswipes. Waste of airtime. Just update us on schweaty balls instead.[/quote

Yeah, they don't always do it and sometimes partisan spin is put out there uncontested. So it goes.

Yeah, just thought they should go more into C-Span like coverage mode in the day of, save the spin until next day. Play relevant clips of actual hearing, including that awful TN senator, rather than subjecting us to their spin right off the bat. Sort of tone deaf on NPR part .....and then off to NPRs patented " let's see what the biggest dumbass voter in Pennsylvania has to say about all this. "

We already know what Blackburn has to say at spin time, like wise the dumbass voter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next