General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

Good interview with Josh Sargent, the 18 year old St Louis kid who's off to a great start in Germany.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ris ... 25785&mt=2

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

For some reason Google keeps giving me updates on the MLS to STL bid on my news feed. That would be great if the articles it keeps showing me weren't at least a year old from back when the public voted down the stadium funding for the old ownership group.

I want daily news on the current group/effort and not the obsolete garbage I'm getting recently. I go into a slight freak out every time I see a headline saying that MLS to STL is dead before I notice how old the piece is.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

It wasn't widely publicized, so I don't know if you guys saw this, but the Confed Cup is dead, which makes the Gold Cup fairly pointless again, and prevents the US/Mexico from getting a big tourney rep before the World Cup.

So since the Copa Centenario made a bajillion dollars, we're going to make it a regular thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/spor ... mebol.html
[SHOW]
The offer, a package that includes almost $200 million in guarantees to the invited teams and their governing bodies, was made Tuesday in a letter from U.S. Soccer’s president, Carlos Cordeiro, to his counterparts at the 10 South American federations. For the past year, soccer officials across the Americas have held discussions about creating a quadrennial tournament involving national teams from both hemispheres, but with no agreement in sight, U.S. Soccer, eager to fill a gap in the global soccer calendar and bearing an enticing nine-figure offer, is now proposing to establish its own.

In the letter, Cordeiro said U.S. Soccer was offering to underwrite the new event and guarantee each nation — and both confederations — millions of dollars in appearance fees, subsidized travel and bonuses for each point earned. The champions could take home a prize of more than $11 million. Cordeiro has invited the South Americans to a meeting to discuss the proposal next week in Miami.

The proposed 16-team tournament would resemble, in structure though most likely not in name, the 2016 Copa América Centenario. That tournament, a relocated version of the South American championship — expanded to celebrate the event’s 100th anniversary — brought the 10 members of the South American confederation, Conmebol, to the United States for a month to face off not only against one another, but also a half-dozen opponents from Concacaf, the regional confederation made up of North and Central America and the Caribbean.
Concurrent with the Euros? Hell yeah. Shoot that [expletive] directly into my eyeballs.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Fail.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Arsenal choke is the best choke.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Where’s our Brighton guy?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Seagulls & Cardinals wrote:Greetings from England

May I please bring you news of the latest "soccer" team to win promotion to the "EPL"

My very own Brighton & Hove Albion secured their place for the first time ever on Monday, and the first time in 34 years since they competed in the top division.

Brighton's Riches to Rags to Riches story is an extraordinary one, and the past twenty years has seen us crawlup from the lowest of the low, a homeless wreck of a club, to finally join the super rich.

When I started following the Cardinals in 1985, coincided with the beginning of the slide for "The Albion" who had been relegated in 1983 and continued to slide until the denouement in 1997 when the hated owners sold the ground and saw it demolished as the club sat at the foot of the lowest league and 45 minutes away from expulsion from the league.

Its a long story. But from the depths, we are finally back.

And i couldn't be more proud.

Now time to concentrate on my love for the Cardinals during the summer break - until Brighton & Hove Albion start in August up against all the English Soccer teams that you will be familiar with - The Manchester Uniteds and Chelseas.

Up The Albion

Let's Go Cardinals
Not sure how the last couple seasons have gone but nice result today anyway.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

MAGA wrote:Arsenal choke is the best choke.
How very MAGA of you to crap on a team that's always a bridesmaid.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

33anda3rd wrote:
Arsenal is primarily owned by Stan Kroenke so, MAGA's take on this one is actually correct as far as I'm concerned. I hope they never win another game again while StanK owns them.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

tlombard wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Arsenal is primarily owned by Stan Kroenke so, MAGA's take on this one is actually correct as far as I'm concerned. I hope they never win another game again while StanK owns them.
A great point.