GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 23 19, 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 500, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506 ... 546  Next
PostPosted: May 1 19, 1:39 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Arthur Dent wrote:
Quote:
James Comey: How Trump Co-opts Leaders Like Bill Barr
Accomplished people lacking inner strength can’t resist the compromises necessary to survive this president.

What a bunch of BS.

Barr, a veteran of Iran-Contra, was hired specifically because he would protect Trump. He was not compromised by subtle forces emanating from the unique evil of Trump personally. He's an old Party hand acting as a representative of the existing Republican Party's overwhelming consensus.

The rot is deep, and a cretin like Barr is entitled to no asinine excuses.

That's an excellent point you make.

PostPosted: May 1 19, 2:39 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Comey's the biggest [expletive] doofus.

PostPosted: May 1 19, 2:48 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Arthur Dent wrote:
Quote:
Accomplished people lacking inner strength can’t resist the compromises necessary to survive this president.

What a bunch of BS.

Barr, a veteran of Iran-Contra, was hired specifically because he would protect Trump. He was not compromised by subtle forces emanating from the unique evil of Trump personally. He's an old Party hand acting as a representative of the existing Republican Party's overwhelming consensus.

Of all people in the admin this diagnosis would seem to apply to Barr the least. He auditioned for the job by saying he would do exactly what he is now doing. For this Op-ed to mention him is weird. I suspect Barr was added later to make the ope-ed coincide with today's news and get more clicks.

But there is probably some truth to how Comey describes the process of getting mired in Trump's miasma for a number of other people in this admin.

PostPosted: May 1 19, 3:00 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

G. Keenan wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:
Quote:

What a bunch of BS.

Of all people in the admin this diagnosis would seem to apply to Barr the least. He auditioned for the job by saying he would do exactly what he is now doing. For this Op-ed to mention him is weird. I suspect Barr was added later to make the ope-ed coincide with today's news and get more clicks.

But there is probably some truth to how Comey describes the process of getting mired in Trump's miasma for a number of other people in this admin.

Like Mattis. He was mired under Trump's spell. Decided to break it, but oh well. The worship of Mattis in that op-ed was over the top.

Overall though, I wouldn't mind other Trump tools and former could utulize the comey line, rationalize their way of being part of King Trump's regime

PostPosted: May 4 19, 5:30 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

PostPosted: May 6 19, 6:09 am 
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Not to be all spoilery, but weren't you on the edge of your seats when "Tariff Man" saved the day in Endgame?

PostPosted: May 7 19, 6:53 am 
Hall Of Famer

Hello again, stomach knot

To be clear, he's already out of prison. There's some interesting details in this article, and it almost sounds to me like a Trayvon Martin situation. This soldier created a bad situation, and even if you assume his account is true it seems to me he's at fault for the whole thing.

He also left the body and didn't report what happened.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/former- ... e-1.578160

Quote:
Shortly after his friends’ deaths in the roadside bombing, Behenna seized on a new intelligence report revealing the identity of an al-Qaida operative who possibly helped orchestrate the explosion: Ali Mansur. Mansur was found at his house with several weapons, including an illegal machine gun and an Iraqi passport indicating that he’d made two trips to Syria, “a known training ground for terrorists,” according to Behenna’s pardon application.

Mansur was interrogated but was freed because the military could not find conclusive evidence linking him to the explosion, the pardon application says.

Behenna was livid when Mansur was released. And it was Behenna who was ordered to transport him back to his village and to set him free.

Less than a month later, out by a secluded railroad culvert near the northern town of Baiji, Behenna decided to interrogate Mansur again on his own.

“I stripped him naked to intimidate him,” Behenna said. “I told him I wanted more intel on local leaders of al-Qaida, and that I wanted him to tell me about his stops in Saudi Arabia and Syria, and the [roadside] bomb explosion. But he kept saying, ‘I don’t know. I don’t know.’ ”

Finally, Mansur said something in Arabic that Behenna didn’t understand. He turned to his interpreter for help, he said, but that’s when he heard something hit the culvert’s wall. When he pivoted back to the prisoner, Behenna claims Mansur had just thrown a rock and was now standing up and reaching for his Glock. Behenna stepped to the side and fired one shot into Mansur’s chest, the next to his head.

“I was in disbelief that just happened,” Behenna recalled. “I just remember this numb feeling. I was in total shock.”

Behenna left the body in the culvert and didn’t tell anyone.

Then he went back to his base.

The next day, Iraqi police found Mansur’s body, and Behenna later was charged with premeditated murder. He faced life in prison without parole. The whole time their son was under investigation, his parents, lifelong criminal investigators, said they never felt disappointed or embarrassed.

Weird twist on that

Quote:
“When he got charged, I wasn’t like, ‘Dear God, what are people going to think?’ I was thinking, ‘What can I do to help my son?’ ” recalled Vicki Behenna, who is now the executive director of the Oklahoma Innocence Project, which works to exonerate the wrongfully convicted.

PostPosted: May 7 19, 10:06 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

ghostrunner wrote:
Hello again, stomach knot

Spoiler: show

To be clear, he's already out of prison. There's some interesting details in this article, and it almost sounds to me like a Trayvon Martin situation. This soldier created a bad situation, and even if you assume his account is true it seems to me he's at fault for the whole thing.

He also left the body and didn't report what happened.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/former- ... e-1.578160

Quote:
Shortly after his friends’ deaths in the roadside bombing, Behenna seized on a new intelligence report revealing the identity of an al-Qaida operative who possibly helped orchestrate the explosion: Ali Mansur. Mansur was found at his house with several weapons, including an illegal machine gun and an Iraqi passport indicating that he’d made two trips to Syria, “a known training ground for terrorists,” according to Behenna’s pardon application.

Mansur was interrogated but was freed because the military could not find conclusive evidence linking him to the explosion, the pardon application says.

Behenna was livid when Mansur was released. And it was Behenna who was ordered to transport him back to his village and to set him free.

Less than a month later, out by a secluded railroad culvert near the northern town of Baiji, Behenna decided to interrogate Mansur again on his own.

“I stripped him naked to intimidate him,” Behenna said. “I told him I wanted more intel on local leaders of al-Qaida, and that I wanted him to tell me about his stops in Saudi Arabia and Syria, and the [roadside] bomb explosion. But he kept saying, ‘I don’t know. I don’t know.’ ”

Finally, Mansur said something in Arabic that Behenna didn’t understand. He turned to his interpreter for help, he said, but that’s when he heard something hit the culvert’s wall. When he pivoted back to the prisoner, Behenna claims Mansur had just thrown a rock and was now standing up and reaching for his Glock. Behenna stepped to the side and fired one shot into Mansur’s chest, the next to his head.

“I was in disbelief that just happened,” Behenna recalled. “I just remember this numb feeling. I was in total shock.”

Behenna left the body in the culvert and didn’t tell anyone.

Then he went back to his base.

The next day, Iraqi police found Mansur’s body, and Behenna later was charged with premeditated murder. He faced life in prison without parole. The whole time their son was under investigation, his parents, lifelong criminal investigators, said they never felt disappointed or embarrassed.

Weird twist on that

Quote:
“When he got charged, I wasn’t like, ‘Dear God, what are people going to think?’ I was thinking, ‘What can I do to help my son?’ ” recalled Vicki Behenna, who is now the executive director of the Oklahoma Innocence Project, which works to exonerate the wrongfully convicted.

aw man. That is [expletive] unbelievable.

PostPosted: May 7 19, 7:55 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Tax documents show Trump businesses lost more than $1 billion in a decade
Quote:
President Donald Trump's businesses reported losses of $1.17 billion from 1985 to 1994, The New York Times reported Tuesday, citing information from tax documents from those years.

It appears Trump lost more money than nearly any other individual US taxpayer year after year, the Times reports, according to the 10 years of tax information the newspaper acquired.

Trump ran for president branding himself as a self-made billionaire, touting his financial success, but he has been steadfast in his refusal to release his tax returns to the public, despite mounting pressure from Congress. On Monday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin formally denied a request from the House Ways and Means Committee for Trump's last six years of tax returns, a period not covered by the documents reported by The Times on Tuesday.

In 1990 and 1991, Trump's core business losses were more than $250 million each year -- more than double those of the closest taxpayers in those years, the Times reports.

Trump lost so much money that he avoided paying income taxes for eight of the 10 years, according to the newspaper.

The Times previously reported that Trump helped "his parents dodge taxes" in the 1990s, including "instances of outright fraud," and that he and his siblings helped his parents hide millions of dollars in gifts in a "sham corporation."

Trump, starting at the age of 3, received at least $413 million in today's dollars from his father's real estate empire, the Times previously reported.

PostPosted: May 7 19, 9:12 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Trump took some massive real world losses in that period, as he was a lousy businessman for reasons that should be well understood at this point. Additionally the tax code is supposed to be favorable to real estate developers, which Trump actually was BITD. The capper is that Trump is the kind of guy to wildly overstate his taxable losses to reduce his tax liability. It seems like the last point is really the issue, that everybody has accepted that if David Fahrenthold ever gets his hands on Trump's taxes, then the Washington Post will run out of ink printing all of Trump's violations of the tax law.

Of course, nobody cares about Trump's taxes, so I kinda wonder why the R's don't just let it go, so in 2025 they can more easily beat on President Buttigieg for rounding to the nearest dollar incorrectly or something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 500, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506 ... 546  Next