TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Jocephus »

trutv will renew "at home with amy sedaris" for a 3rd season

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

It’s pretty boring but you might catch a glimpse of me on A&E Live+Rescue. Just a glimpse. Or might not.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lukethedrifter wrote:It’s pretty boring but you might catch a glimpse of me on A&E Live+Rescue. Just a glimpse. Or might not.
i recall you having a celebrity doppleganger when people used to share photos of themselves here. hank williams? or maybe it was just me and i never posted it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Rick Grimes

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

that was it

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Anyone watch the first part of the Chernobyl Mini-Series on HBO?

I did. I thought it was great. I actually watched it twice. They did a great job of being suspenseful but not being a cliche disaster show. I've always been interested in the Chernobyl disaster and this really hits home how intense it was.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

IMADreamer wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Anyone watch the first part of the Chernobyl Mini-Series on HBO?

I did. I thought it was great. I actually watched it twice. They did a great job of being suspenseful but not being a cliche disaster show. I've always been interested in the Chernobyl disaster and this really hits home how intense it was.
Me too, on all accounts.

Back in high school, in the 90s, I did a research paper on the disaster and at the time I remember being confused by conflicting information. This was back before the internet/google really took off so all my research had to come from the public library. And, iirc there were like 5 books at the library on the topic and seemingly they all reported separate things. The only consistent part was the scheduled test that called for the turbines to shut off. And, because they did shut the turbines down, the lack of power led to the catastrophe. There was also a lot of information that at the time (probably still today) went right over my head regarding the reactors design and how that contributed to the disaster.

Regardless, by the time I realized that the information I had conflicted and there was some information I just simply couldn't understand, I'd invested too much time to change subjects so just went ahead with the info that made sense and was consistent. But, I've always been interested in the topic and tried to understand it better.

The first episode started at the point right after the explosion, so it appears they aren't going to get into the actual cause which is fine because it would probably put most people to sleep. And, the immediate aftermath is something that I to be honest had given little thought to. No idea how realistic it is but the cinematography of the reactor burning and spewing a radioactive death plume into the air is mesmerizing.
spoilers from the 2nd episode.
[SHOW]
Was glad they basically just followed Legaslov around in episode 2. Seemingly the only guy willing to stand up and tell people the truth regardless of how badly they don't want to hear it. Hopefully that continues throughout the series since it is his confessional. The scene where the general or whoever comes back after getting the radioactive readings showing they're at 15,000 instead of...3 was great. Basically proving Legaslov correct which you want to see but also knowing that's incredibly terrible news. And the secretary guy immediately telling him to piss off and go away and then realizing, huh, better keep him around. Then Legaslov making a huge [expletive] up only to later be corrected by that lady. Of course the draining of the tanks is being built up to beyond what it was, but whatever.
This is exactly the type of stuff HBO excels at. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. And it is not disappointing.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

Me too, on all accounts.

Back in high school, in the 90s, I did a research paper on the disaster and at the time I remember being confused by conflicting information. This was back before the internet/google really took off so all my research had to come from the public library. And, iirc there were like 5 books at the library on the topic and seemingly they all reported separate things. The only consistent part was the scheduled test that called for the turbines to shut off. And, because they did shut the turbines down, the lack of power led to the catastrophe. There was also a lot of information that at the time (probably still today) went right over my head regarding the reactors design and how that contributed to the disaster.

Regardless, by the time I realized that the information I had conflicted and there was some information I just simply couldn't understand, I'd invested too much time to change subjects so just went ahead with the info that made sense and was consistent. But, I've always been interested in the topic and tried to understand it better.

The first episode started at the point right after the explosion, so it appears they aren't going to get into the actual cause which is fine because it would probably put most people to sleep. And, the immediate aftermath is something that I to be honest had given little thought to. No idea how realistic it is but the cinematography of the reactor burning and spewing a radioactive death plume into the air is mesmerizing.
[SHOW]
Was glad they basically just followed Legaslov around in episode 2. Seemingly the only guy willing to stand up and tell people the truth regardless of how badly they don't want to hear it. Hopefully that continues throughout the series since it is his confessional. The scene where the general or whoever comes back after getting the radioactive readings showing they're at 15,000 instead of...3 was great. Basically proving Legaslov correct which you want to see but also knowing that's incredibly terrible news. And the secretary guy immediately telling him to piss off and go away and then realizing, huh, better keep him around. Then Legaslov making a huge [expletive] up only to later be corrected by that lady. Of course the draining of the tanks is being built up to beyond what it was, but whatever.
This is exactly the type of stuff HBO excels at. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. And it is not disappointing.
There is a companion podcast with the series too where one of the npr guys is talking to the writer. He said in a later episode they discuss the physics behind what happened.

BTW the ending of ep 2 was horrifying. Holy crap.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

IMADreamer wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

Me too, on all accounts.

[SHOW]
There is a companion podcast with the series too where one of the npr guys is talking to the writer. He said in a later episode they discuss the physics behind what happened.

BTW the ending of ep 2 was horrifying. Holy crap.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Yeah, that whole story line was excellent. According to the producer, the lady nuclear physicist is not a real person but is meant to represent all the scientists/engineers out there that were trying to help which is perfectly fine by me. No way to incorporate everyone out there that was offering helpful suggestions. But, the meeting where she and legaslov meet with gorbachov asking for permission to send 3 guys to their death, to him just being like....well, uh, sure...go ahead and save 60 million people, to legaslov trying to get volunteers and them being like [expletive] off, to that secretary guy standing up and giving an impassioned speech about how it has to be done (by far his best moment), to the guys volunteering then the build up and the scene itself was beautifully tragic.

I'll talk more about this after the next episode because I've heard about this part before and don't want to spoil what happens.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »