CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 5/11 GDT: Pirates(Lyles) vs Cardinals(Mikolas) 1:15PMCT

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

While the Cardinals continue to wait for their top two hitters, Matt Carpenter and Paul Goldschmidt, to begin producing nearer their career norms, they’ve watched the player batting behind them emerge as one of the National League’s top offensive performers.

That’d be Paul DeJong, whose fit as a No. 3 hitter has proven to be ideal. He enters Friday having reached base safely in 15 of his last 27 plate appearances, as well as in all 20 games the team has played at Busch Stadium. DeJong also ranks among the league’s top five in batting average (.329), hits (48), runs (32), doubles (14), extra-base hits (22) and total bases (85).

DeJong’s ability to cut down on his strikeouts while also increasing his walk rate has been one of the keys to his strong start. After posting a strikeout rate of 28 percent as a rookie and following that up with a 25-percent strikeout rate in 2018, DeJong has dropped percentage to 17 through the season’s first six weeks.

How has he done it?

“I cleaned up my mechanics a little bit,” DeJong said. “That’s allowing me to see the ball better. But also trusting myself to see the ball better, knowing the pitches better and not trying to do too much [have helped]. [I’m] not getting myself out early in the counts and [I’m] just waiting for that mistake and not missing it.”

That patience and pickiness has paid off in a few ways. His walk rate is up from 7 percent to 11 percent in a year’s span. He’s also making better contact on the pitches he does put in play. DeJong’s hard-hit percentage (43) and barrel percentage (11) are also career bests.

The third-year Cardinals shortstop credited assistant coach Mark Budaska with helping him unlock this approach and better understand his swing.

All this has helped DeJong rise to the leaderboard in all sorts of offensive categories. In addition to ranking high in the more traditional statistics noted above, DeJong also falls in the top six percent of all NL hitters with a wOBA of .422 and xBA of .312.

In recognition of the charitable work he’s done through his foundation, Fundación 4, Yadier Molina was honored as the winner of the 2018 Roberto Clemente Award prior to Friday’s game. Clemente’s son, Luis, traveled to St. Louis to present the award to Molina, who had been unable to attend the formal ceremony last October because of obligations he had coaching an amateur Puerto Rican team.

Molina joins Carlos Beltran, Albert Pujols, Ozzie Smith and Lou Brock as recipients of the Robert Clemente Award, which is considered baseball’s greatest off-the-field honor. Molina established his foundation in 2010 to benefit youth impacted by poverty, abuse and cancer. He was also deeply involved in assisting with humanitarian aid efforts after Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Kinda need to win this one

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Are they going to try and play through the rain or just wait until it clears out? Gameday doesn't show any delays or anything currently.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

It's going to rain for the rest of your life. Or mid afternoon. Start time TBD. Al's 'stache will have to be entertainment enough for the time being.

booger71
All-Star

Post by booger71 »

Estimated start 3:35pm Central

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Now 3:50 PM CT.

This is so dumb. Just call it and re-schedule the game.