Re: Mega contracts no bueno

Post by TigCards »

Not a long term person myself .
But that’s just me in my old age .

sjgoten6
All-Star

Post by sjgoten6 »

Holliday was one of the best (big dollar) signings in recent times right? Or so I thought I heard.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

There's probably a distinction to be made somehow between free agency mega deals and mega extensions of younger talent, ie the massive Mike Trout deal that Anaheim just signed. Or that $100 mil extension the Cards gave Pujols back in the day, which probably returned 4x that in surplus value.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

seems as good as of a thread to put it as any
Marcell Ozuna has changed agencies and is now represented by Melvin Roman and MDR Sports Management.

He had been represented by Scott Boras, whose track record with non-elite clients lately hasn't been great. Ozuna is batting .236/.319/.514 with 11 homers and 34 RBI so far this season in his walk year. He will turn 29 over the offseason.

May 13, 2019, 5:24 PM ET

TheTimeIsNow
All-Star

Post by TheTimeIsNow »

Joey Votto's deal was fine for a while. This year could be the beginning of the end of his production. He still has 4 more years and $100 million guaranteed after this season. That one could get ugly in a hurry.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

TheTimeIsNow wrote:Joey Votto's deal was fine for a while. This year could be the beginning of the end of his production. He still has 4 more years and $100 million guaranteed after this season. That one could get ugly in a hurry.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I feel like there's been a concerted effort by FOs and their pet journalists to ignore everything in a contract before what happens today. As the Reds didn't give Votto extra cash when he outperformed the early stages of his contract, they can eat a little underperformance on the end. That's kind of how contracts work. Yet we still get these "this contract is going to get ugly" takes.

TheTimeIsNow
All-Star

Post by TheTimeIsNow »

Famous Mortimer wrote:I feel like there's been a concerted effort by FOs and their pet journalists to ignore everything in a contract before what happens today. As the Reds didn't give Votto extra cash when he outperformed the early stages of his contract, they can eat a little underperformance on the end. That's kind of how contracts work. Yet we still get these "this contract is going to get ugly" takes.
I feel like a team like the Reds cannot afford to overpay for a guy just because he was good for them when he was younger.

For example, the Pirates and Andrew McCutchen (I am still sad about this, but it was the right move):

McCutchen played for the Pirates for 9 seasons. Those 9 seasons were clearly when he was at his best. For a span of 4-ish seasons he was one of the best hitters in baseball. In those 9 seasons, he made approximately $50,547,500. The Giants paid him $14,750,000 last season. This offseason, the Phillies gave him a 4 year, $62 million dollar deal.

Would you rather have McCutchen aged 22-30 for $50 million or McCutchen aged 31-35 for $78 million? I know it's not a mega deal, but the point is still the same. The Pirates made the right decision to let some other team give him the dumb contract. Just because baseball contracts reward veterans, doesn't mean that your team has to be the one to pay it.