Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u enter)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Game of Thrones TV (Spoilers ahead-watch the eps b4 u en

Post by Jocephus »

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Drogon melting the iron throne was nicely symbolic and all, but why would he have that of his own accord? what if they had changed the arrangement such that Jon was between Drogon and the throne? Then Drogon goes all dracarys on Jon for killing Dany and happens to melt the throne behind him.

Not sure I would have liked that version, but it would have been a little more interesting.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

They ended it about as well as possible, having chosen to make Dany turn into a psycho. Kinda funny how they used Tyrion's character to sell us on that choice . . . "we cheered her when she killed the slavers" etc. Yeah, Tyrion, we did cheer her when she was killing evil people, just like we cheered you when you killed your father, like we cheered Rob Stark when he was killing Lannisters. That's how it works, so don't pretend like we should have known all along that she would break bad.

But, once she does, this is about as good an ending as we'll get under this new show logic.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Gashouse wrote:Drogon melting the iron throne was nicely symbolic and all, but why would he have that of his own accord? what if they had changed the arrangement such that Jon was between Drogon and the throne? Then Drogon goes all dracarys on Jon for killing Dany and happens to melt the throne behind him.

Not sure I would have liked that version, but it would have been a little more interesting.
since Jon was a targareon (only Targaryen's can ride dragons after all they say, and he obv does), then he can't be killed by fire; like Dany and walking out of fire multiple times, I assumed

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

cardsfantx wrote:
Gashouse wrote:Drogon melting the iron throne was nicely symbolic and all, but why would he have that of his own accord? what if they had changed the arrangement such that Jon was between Drogon and the throne? Then Drogon goes all dracarys on Jon for killing Dany and happens to melt the throne behind him.

since Jon was a targareon (only Targaryen's can ride dragons after all they say, and he obv does), then he can't be killed by fire; like Dany and walking out of fire multiple times, I assumed
I don't think that's it. Jon's actually been burned before in Season 1. In the books Dany being fireproof is a one time thing, per GRRM. On the show I think it's just her, not Targaryens in general.

I think you've been meant to think this whole time that Dany and all the dragons and Drogon especially have a mental/psychic connection, and the dragons are also intelligent. Which is why Drogon knows she's been killed. So he comes up and knows what's happened, but also knows what this has all been about so he burns the thing she's been pursuing and led to her death. He's also pissed so he wants to burn something, and he spares Jon either because Jon's a Targ or because Dany loved him or some combination of the two.

I can see why that might not fly for people but you can't know for sure, so I wasn't bothered by not having an answer.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

So what happened with the Dothraki? Did they get on the boats with the Unsullied and go off to liberate Naath? Or is there now a small horde of Dothraki marauding around middle Westeros?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

G. Keenan wrote:So what happened with the Dothraki? Did they get on the boats with the Unsullied and go off to liberate Naath? Or is there now a small horde of Dothraki marauding around middle Westeros?
I assume they boarded their boats and went back to wherever it is they were from.

The Unsullied and Dothraki really were just used for war, and when war was over were told to go home and were just like "ok." That is a thing that does not actually happen.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I liked a lot of it, but so much of the last rush to the end was just so weirdly terrible, and for no real reason. But even so, I'll take it over season 5, where almost literally nothing happened; and I'll definitely take it over the last couple of books. Just think back to where so many of the characters are at the end of the books, and imagine how long it's going to take GRRM to get from there to here (as he's already stated the show's ending is, pretty much, his ending). Those last couple of books were bad.

Anyway, the show. The whole last half of the episode, where they forget Dany, the Unsullied, and the Dothraki ever existed, was almost embarrassing at times. The presentation of the book "A Song Of Ice And Fire" with Sam making jokes about it, and the whole small council thing, felt...stupid. Like from a much much worse show.

Why didn't they give Jon a monologue about why he killed Dany? Why cut from that to two weeks later? Wouldn't Grey Worm have just killed him outright, given he wasn't wild about taking prisoners like two minutes previously? It felt like Jon was just endlessly buffered around by forces beyond his control, so for him to take ownership of killing the (as far as anyone knows) sole surviving Targaryen would have been interesting. Rather than allowing Tyrion, in chains and a hair's breadth from being executed, to decide the entire future of this massive continent.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

If the show did indeed end how Martin has intended for the books to end, perhaps he will do a better job laying track for Dany's descent into madness and tyranny. This is the same person who locked her dragons in a dungeon for, what, like a year? Maybe longer? Just because they had eaten a little shepherd child. And then she starts killing innocents because . . . why exactly?

They wrote a nice monologue for Tyrion to help sell that narrative choice but I'm still not buying it.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

It feels to me that Martin locked the dragons up for a year because he had no idea what to do with them, narratively speaking. I still feel like, when he changed the story from a trilogy to whatever it's going to end up being, that he didn't really know how he was going to get from where he was to the endgame he wanted. Which is partly why some of the show has been so odd - the very slow fifth season, and the breakneck pace of the last two.