movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: movies

Post by 33anda3rd »

This Robert Pattinson hate is crazy. The case for Pattinson in three films:

1. Cosmopolis, with Cronenberg
2. Good Time, with the Safdie Bros (this was the Film Comment Critics Poll's top film of 2017, it's pretty awesome)
[SHOW]
3. High Life, with Claire Denis (co-starring Binoche and a literal ((kinda)) F*ck Box)
[SHOW]
These three give us Pattinson who has left his teen heartthrob thing way in the past, and who is more In Competition At Cannes than Huge Opening Weekend. They all, IMO, show that he's a a very interesting actor--if not a great one, which I'd argue he's become--who is taking a lot of risks and doing interesting material with great directors that sometimes soars (Good Time and High Life) and that he is still good in when it falls flat (Cosmopolis)--kind of an arthouse Paul Rudd. He's more than qualified to play everyone's favorite dark superhero.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I watched Behind The Curve on Netflix, a documentary on the Flat Earth Society and the fact that there are apparently millions of people who still believe this crap. They literally think we live in a giant flat snowglobe where the south pole is a giant 200' tall wall of ice ("Game of Thrones style" which is the exact phrase used by a guy in the documentary) that completely surrounds the edge of the planet.

The documentary was hilarious. They kept performing experiments to prove the Earth is flat, and the results kept indicating it was round. "Well, those results are problematic. Clearly we did something wrong, let's try re-running it a different way."

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Swirls wrote:I watched Behind The Curve on Netflix, a documentary on the Flat Earth Society and the fact that there are apparently millions of people who still believe this crap. They literally think we live in a giant flat snowglobe where the south pole is a giant 200' tall wall of ice ("Game of Thrones style" which is the exact phrase used by a guy in the documentary) that completely surrounds the edge of the planet.

The documentary was hilarious. They kept performing experiments to prove the Earth is flat, and the results kept indicating it was round. "Well, those results are problematic. Clearly we did something wrong, let's try re-running it a different way."
Haven't seen the doc, but some of the experiments are awesome.

Like this one

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Michael wrote:I decided to watch the classic film The Night of the Hunter on Amazon Prime. My reasons for watching it were pretty simple: Robert Mitchum and those iconic "Love/Hate" finger tattoos (see below). The movie sagged a bit in the middle, but I still really enjoyed it. If nothing else, Robert Mitchum is a treasure and this is a peak film for him. Also, the movie is beautifully shot in a 1950's sound stage kind of way.

One thing I didn't expect is it's one of the most pro Christian films I've ever seen in a good way. The movie critiques certain characters who claim their faith but fall short, while simultaneously making it clear the Christian faith itself is truth and a force for good. In that sense there's some parables you can draw with religion in America today.

Anyway, I digress. In summary, these tattoos are bad ass:

“if I love you I love you, but if I hate you...I love you [Mookie]"

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:I decided to watch the classic film The Night of the Hunter on Amazon Prime. My reasons for watching it were pretty simple: Robert Mitchum and those iconic "Love/Hate" finger tattoos (see below). The movie sagged a bit in the middle, but I still really enjoyed it. If nothing else, Robert Mitchum is a treasure and this is a peak film for him. Also, the movie is beautifully shot in a 1950's sound stage kind of way.

One thing I didn't expect is it's one of the most pro Christian films I've ever seen in a good way. The movie critiques certain characters who claim their faith but fall short, while simultaneously making it clear the Christian faith itself is truth and a force for good. In that sense there's some parables you can draw with religion in America today.

Anyway, I digress. In summary, these tattoos are bad ass:

“if I love you I love you, but if I hate you...I love you [Mookie]"

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

If someone offered you a zillion dollars and a very promising future as an actor, but the catch was you had to be in terrible movies and be Justin Bieber, you probably have to take it. I watched that Charlie Hunnam slog of a South American exploration movie, and Pattinson didn't make much of an impression. But he probably deserves a chance at least.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:If someone offered you a zillion dollars and a very promising future as an actor, but the catch was you had to be in terrible movies and be Justin Bieber, you probably have to take it. I watched that Charlie Hunnam slog of a South American exploration movie, and Pattinson didn't make much of an impression. But he probably deserves a chance at least.
That’s a quietly divisive movie. I loved it. Not a showy role for Pattinson but I think he does a great job. .

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Well, Hunnam is a lousy actor. He should be starring in Thor mockbusters. I can do long and boring, especially with scenery. I had trouble getting pulled into that one.

A somewhat similar movie that I've been trying to track down is The Mission. The soundtrack is incredible. Has anyone seen it?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Swirls wrote:I watched Behind The Curve on Netflix, a documentary on the Flat Earth Society and the fact that there are apparently millions of people who still believe this crap.
This is a really underrated doc. It focuses on flat eathers, but it's really about why people believe in conspiracies in the first place. The parallels with other more mainstream conspiracy mongers and their belivers is on point. The directors did a pretty good ama here.

Also, the final scene in this doc is amazing. It broke my brain.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Well, Hunnam is a lousy actor. He should be starring in Thor mockbusters. I can do long and boring, especially with scenery. I had trouble getting pulled into that one.

A somewhat similar movie that I've been trying to track down is The Mission. The soundtrack is incredible. Has anyone seen it?
With Irons and DeNiro? I saw it probably 20-22 years ago on VHS, it's great.