Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Freed Roger »

Hoot45 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Would love to hear about more of your paddling adventures, Freed Roger. Don't forget about the flying carp on the Missouri. That has been the scariest thing to me while paddling that one.
Only time I encountered crazy fish were at the mouth of creeks I've paddled by/up. Was told carp are mostly stirred up by motorized vessels. Did you get hit?
Yes, while paddling in 8-foot kayaks in July. If there is a next time I paddle the Illinois/Missouri/Mississippi around here I am wearing a helmet. I wish I was exaggerating. It was a combination of hilarious / terrifying / exhilarating because at any time one of those monsters could launch at your head when your paddle touched the water.
Ach. I almost wish I didn't know this. Was paddling out in the gulf/ocean last month and preferred not to look down and see what those dark things underneath in the water were. Two I couldn't help but notice, big stingray, and a giant swamp turtle.
Last edited by Freed Roger on December 17 18, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Well, pretend I didn't say it. I want to live vicariously through your paddling adventures :P

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Hoot45 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Would love to hear about more of your paddling adventures, Freed Roger. Don't forget about the flying carp on the Missouri. That has been the scariest thing to me while paddling that one.
Only time I encountered crazy fish were at the mouth of creeks I've paddled by/up. Was told carp are mostly stirred up by motorized vessels. Did you get hit?
Yes, while paddling in 8-foot kayaks in July. If there is a next time I paddle the Illinois/Missouri/Mississippi around here I am wearing a helmet. I wish I was exaggerating. It was a combination of hilarious / terrifying / exhilarating because at any time one of those monsters could launch at your head when your paddle touched the water.
Wasn’t as bad as your experience, Hoot, but the carp were definitely flying in the Cache River Wetlands on our last float a few years back.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Would love to hear about more of your paddling adventures,.
the carp were definitely flying in the Cache River Wetlands on our last float a few years back.
I'm going to get to Cache. Preferebly before the heat takes over. Got to make a list of places to go that need spring water flows - i.e lower Jacks Fork.

And photos, only because you twisted my arm, (and the seasonal paddling withdrawals I'm having - may have to brave the colder waters for a fix)

This fall, Meramec - put in at Campbell Bridge access of Highway N, southeast of Bourbon. On a good summer weekend, there would be 100s of floaters here
[SHOW]
Correction -after dropping my gear at the access, I did the self shuttle first this time, parking my car at the take out then jogged backed on the gravel road. Take out is kind of bootleg access, right towards the end of it, I have to drive by an occupied river house-where the old guy sometimes blocks the road with his car. First couple times I felt nervous going past, but he waved me around. The route back is only about 4miles, pretty cool and scenice, remote dead end road - sometimes I bike it instead. Only one confederate flag. Vilander Bluff Trail is off this gravel road, which is a 2.5 mile side trip.
[SHOW]
I paddle upstream a ways, to check out the current and make the float down more deserved.
[SHOW]

Found something new this time. I happened to look back upstream at the bluffs I passed and saw this cave up about half ways, that looked like it could be scrambled to. A few beer cans and remnants of a campfire, but generally looks like most the booze cruisers never make it up there, judging by the flock of doves or whatever that flew out of the cave mouth. i went back about 50 yards, but only had my phone flashlight, so turned around. DId a little poking around the internets trying to find the name of this cave, and how prolific it is. No luck. It may be considered part of Onondaga. Not far is an Onyx Cave but don't think that is it.... BTW, landmark namers need to mix it up, there are too many caves named Onyx, and springs named Blue.
[SHOW]

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Great photos and descriptions! You're giving me paddling withdrawls now too. Thanks for taking the time to share those.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Got trail fever after hiking Nevada Falls and Upper Yosemite Falls on consecutive days a couple weeks ago. Plus a couple shorter hikes at Prairie Creek Redwoods in NorCal and Border Field SP at the Mexican border.

Next up, Franconia Ridge in 2cweeks if the weather is nice-ish. Wife isn’t interested in fighting the elements so I’m guessing I’ve got about a 33% shot. Looking for some unambitious hikes in Upstate NY too. Sounds like a couple nice ones at Saranac Lake.

Anyone have any experience?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adve ... igh-route/

I want to hike the Sierra High Route but unsure if I’m up to it and absolutely would need someone with better trail skills.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Paddle of Jacks Fork River from Rymers to Alley Spring blew me away. Other than the put in, and one other access-that 16 mile stretch has very little road access that I saw. Which means you have that whole place to yourself, as you paddle thru on crystal water thru the tall bluffs and hill sides.

Timing things right helps-ideal weather, and the water flowing fine.

One slightly scary moment. Tales of woe have to be shared.

we had my 6 year old great nephew with us who loves this stuff and has a pretty nice little kayak. Well within 5 min he got out in front of us towards a rock bar and took a hard left to the swifter side of the split, and hit a strainer and dumped. My bro, his grandpa crashed into it to get him. The boy went under a log popped up on other side and was able to helped ashore. I pulled ashore on the other side of the rock bar island and bushwhacked to him, as my brother went after his backpack with his cell phone etc

Had to check on the boy and go down and retrieve stuff downriver and free the 2 kayaks from the strainer. He was shook up and cold and a bit traumatized. After 45 minutes of checking him, wipe off minor scrape with antiseptix wipes and warming him up, we gave him the option of calling this paddle off. Though not sure how we'd got him and our stuff back up stream and it was a long way downstream to go.

He was good to go. Every kid is different with how they handle things, and he is exceptional. May have helped that neither of the adults freaked out and fed into it. He had a blast, outside of this.

Lesson re-learned was how prone you are to making mistakes in the first moment of a journey with the exuberance, lack of attention on signs, signals and not being settled in. Its so damn common to start off wrong.

We changed approach after that and one of us paddled in front to scout it out and one behind him. We would pull over before anything riffly or with logs and let him decide if we were going to portage. over the course of 5+ more hours and 15 river miles he only chose to portage twice. My brother and I agreed that the place he dumped was the most treacherous river spot of the day.

will paddle more of this river. IMO the Ozark spring fed streams are a world class natural feature, without the world invading it (until beer float urination season at least). Though this stretch with its limited access probably still goof.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Will you tell his mother what happened?