GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 22 19, 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 24 19, 5:35 am 
Replies Authoritatively

pioneer98 wrote:
This is not how we got Trump and Brexit. We got Trump and Brexit because one side was better at politics than the other side.

A big part of the politics of the conservatives is misinformation. 20-some years of Limbaugh's term "feminazi." If you've listened to Rush for 20 years then how has he skewed your perception of #metoo by equating feminists to genocide? 20-some years of an entire wing of the publishing industry being anti-Clinton books: write one, go on FOX hawking it, make six figures, everyone thinks Hillary Clinton is the devil. If you watch FOX and buy those books, what is the chance you can see that she is in fact not as bad as Trump? Putin, Facebook, Alex Jones, Pizzagate. What purpose could Jones have for saying Sandy Hook was staged other than to mislead people into being skeptical of gun reform? It's all misinformation spread purposely to sway voters. That it trickles down to GRB level and some of that stuff gets repeated here is part of the plan. If you don't repeat it to your neighbors it doesn't have the same effect. Brexit came because people voted for something they didn't know anything about, but they knew there was a huge well-funded campaign of misinformation telling them it was good. Winning politics, yes, but politics via misinformation.

They can't win if they're truthful. If Trump said "I'm going to give the wealthy a tax break, widening the wealth inequality gap. I'm going to impose tariffs. US consumers will pay those tariffs every time they buy foreign goods but I'm going to frame it as anti-Chinese toughness that placates xenophobia without addressing automation and the greed of my corporate cronies. Those tariffs are going to really hurt farmers. I'm going to pass out some aid to factory farms but frame that like I gave it out to working family farmers in an act of generosity that I don't truly possess." he couldn't get elected. He can't tell the truth, he can only lie. Same for all the GOP, they'd never win if they were like "We don't care about abortion, we just use it to get the religious vote, what we really care about is corporations and our actions, if elected, will be hostile to 95% of the people in this country."

PostPosted: May 24 19, 6:52 am 
Hall Of Famer

I should've added "stay somewhat on topic"

PostPosted: May 24 19, 11:46 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Freed Roger wrote:
Have to ask IMA, did you see Trump press conf with the Farmers. I didn't know you farmers all wore cowboy hats and have Sam Elliott mustaches.

I saw about a minute of it, I just can't stand to hear Trump talk. I agree it was weird. Maybe ranchers out west are like that, but no one around here wears a cowboy hat.

PostPosted: May 24 19, 1:31 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

I thought the reason for the political forum was to be without moderation (amoderation is apparently not a word) and to let people say whatever they thought needed to be said so long as it didn't carry out into the civilized parts of the forum.

Not that I ever post in here or have an opinion

/carryon

PostPosted: May 24 19, 2:38 pm 
just can't quit you.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
I thought the reason for the political forum was to be without moderation (amoderation is apparently not a word) and to let people say whatever they thought needed to be said so long as it didn't carry out into the civilized parts of the forum.

/carryon

That is only if you post things that support the political leaning of the board.

PostPosted: May 24 19, 2:52 pm 
Perennial All-Star

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

/carryon

yeah, the politics forum was created/it was separated from social during either the gun thread or election thread that got pretty heated. they created the political forum to be less "moderated" where people could give strong opinions without fear of being banned. (within reason)

it wasn't created just to separate politics from social.

but it's just like any other forum now as far as moderating goes from what I can tell. not the original intent, but oh well...

you can "kind of" follow the timeline in the site suggestions forum...idea was first brought up in 2014, then actually happened in 2016 when there was the "meltdown"...the social forum was getting overloaded with mega threads/pissed off people (still can't remember if it was the gun or election thread...hell, maybe it was both) and Kyle created the politics forum to let people "vent" without ruining social/the board in general.

PostPosted: May 24 19, 3:49 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
IMADreamer wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Have to ask IMA, did you see Trump press conf with the Farmers. I didn't know you farmers all wore cowboy hats and have Sam Elliott mustaches.

I saw about a minute of it, I just can't stand to hear Trump talk. I agree it was weird. Maybe ranchers out west are like that, but no one around here wears a cowboy hat.

I thought one of the guys was wearing a MAGA hat.

IMA - good luck with the levees this weekend.

PostPosted: May 24 19, 4:45 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

wart57 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

/carryon

That is only if you post things that support the political leaning of the board.

The board doesn't lean any direction. It voted for GeddyWrox.

PostPosted: May 24 19, 5:16 pm 
just can't quit you.

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
wart57 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

/carryon

The board doesn't lean any direction. It voted for GeddyWrox.

PostPosted: May 24 19, 5:29 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

A really funny joke is watching thousands of actual living and breathing children be detained in concentration camps and not having the morals to legitimately offer the sliver of power you're given to try to stop it.

Even more funny when it's in the state that you live in!

Edit- I meant "pathetic" when I wrote funny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next