Off-Leash Dogs

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Re: Off-Leash Dogs

Post by ThatGuy »

People who leave their dogs off leash drive me nuts as well.

My dog is EXTREMELY friendly, but other dogs don't always respond well to his in your face greeting approach (and though he's not huge at 65 pounds, he's strong as hell). As such, even when I'm walking him on leash, I don't immediately assume that other people with dogs want to say hi. If someone is approaching us with another dog and they look like they want to talk, I always ask if they'd mind Gibson saying hello and note that he's a bit of a personal space invader. The second things look uncomfortable, I pull him away. Nine times out of ten we make a new friend and have a great chat, but it's not all that unusual for a bit of growling to occur.

It's really not that hard. You know your dog, but you don't know every other dog you're going to encounter. The best way to keep things in order is to put your dog on a f*cking leash since you don't own all of the public space in the city.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

This is a great rant. Sorry to hear about your dogs getting attacked Geen.

My dog is always leashed because he does not tolerate other dogs. He loves people, but not dogs. Yet, my neighbors let their dogs run free and in my yard when I keep my own dog on a leash in my yard. One of these days he's going to destroy one of their smaller dogs. My 12 year old daughter often takes him out to go and she's going to have a hard time restraining him one of these days.

I just hope they don't try to hold me responsible.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I have two bratty fur babies that are under 15 pounds. Sometimes I take them off lease in a public park across the street.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Michael wrote:I have two bratty fur babies that are under 15 pounds. Sometimes I take them off lease in a public park across the street.

What kind of animals are they? Anything under 15 pounds isn't technically considered a dog.

And don't get mad when my leashed 60 pound bulldog eats your foo foos.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Michael wrote:I have two bratty fur babies that are under 15 pounds. Sometimes I take them off lease in a public park across the street.

It's gonna end in tragedy one day man. Just don't do it. You are only endangering them.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I know. I'm super careful about it. For dogs their size, dog parks are way worse. The worst dogs go to those.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

Michael wrote:I'm super careful about it.
What every off-leasher tells themselves until its too late. I am in control of the situation. You are not.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I put them in gated garden or tennis courts if no one is playing. It's more like a gated backyard. My post was mostly a troll.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

Michael wrote:I put them in gated garden or tennis courts if no one is playing. It's more like a gated backyard. My post was mostly a troll.
I am coming to that park to kidnap Scout. That'll teach you!

If they are in a fenced off area that keeps them off leash but enclosed and safe from other roaming dogs that could attack them, that seems fine.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Fully supported rant. Unleashed dogs are a nuisance, and I love dogs.