GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 13 19, 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 143  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Election
PostPosted: May 25 19, 11:00 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Radbird wrote:

This is fantastic.

It is. And though I have other preferred candidates i am so glad that Mayor Pete entered the race and his voice is being heard. He speaks effectively and with great clarity that i think he might open a few minds.

PostPosted: May 25 19, 6:48 pm 
Hall Of Famer

lukethedrifter wrote:
It is. And though I have other preferred candidates i am so glad that Mayor Pete entered the race and his voice is being heard. He speaks effectively and with great clarity that i think he might open a few minds.

I'm coming around to the idea of supporting whichever candidate can talk to Trump voters and get them to listen. Any warm body is going to get Dems and independent anti-trump voters. It's that small sliver of 80-100K voters who went for Trump that tipped three states that need to be gotten back. That's really it. Whoever appeals to them the best ought to be the nominee, IMO.

PostPosted: May 25 19, 6:58 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

I'm coming around to the idea of supporting whichever candidate can talk to Trump voters and get them to listen. Any warm body is going to get Dems and independent anti-trump voters. It's that small sliver of 80-100K voters who went for Trump that tipped three states that need to be gotten back. That's really it. Whoever appeals to them the best ought to be the nominee, IMO.

Right now that appears to be Sleepy Joe.

PostPosted: May 25 19, 7:14 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Radbird wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

Right now that appears to be Sleepy Joe.

Yeah, not my first choice for sure.

PostPosted: May 28 19, 8:54 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Elizabeth Warren Gains Ground, One Plan At A Time

Good read. Apropos of discussion in another thread and how much policy voters want and how much they want soundbites. Looks like Warren is finding a balance between...

Quote:
She has sworn off holding private fund-raisers with wealthy donors. “The best president money can’t buy,” signs and T-shirts for her campaign say.

and

Quote:
She has been propelled in part by a number of disruptive choices, most notably the breakneck pace at which she introduces policy proposals. That has helped keep her in the news, put pressure on rivals and provided more opportunities to shore up her campaign’s once-lackluster fund-raising.

PostPosted: May 29 19, 2:29 pm 
just can't quit you.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/joe-biden-slammed-inappropriate-town-191815599.html

Gotta be perfect at all times....

PostPosted: June 3 19, 9:54 am 
bronoun enthusiast

5 apolitical judges. Oh my god.

Probably should have stuck to non-specific ideas, Pete. That's...wow. Not in Aaron Sorkin's most self-important neo-lib fever dream could an idea this terrible be floated. How on earth does this class of liberal still think compromise should be the goal of politics? Only by being this stupid can you get your lunch eaten by mediocre minds like Mitch McConnell on a regular basis. Good luck with South Bend. Please don't ever come into national politics.

PostPosted: June 3 19, 10:28 am 
Hall Of Famer

thrill wrote:

5 apolitical judges. Oh my god.

Probably should have stuck to non-specific ideas, Pete. That's...wow. Not in Aaron Sorkin's most self-important neo-lib fever dream could an idea this terrible be floated. How on earth does this class of liberal still think compromise should be the goal of politics? Only by being this stupid can you get your lunch eaten by mediocre minds like Mitch McConnell on a regular basis. Good luck with South Bend. Please don't ever come into national politics.

Yeah it's terrible. There are no apolitical judges, for starters.

PostPosted: June 3 19, 10:59 am 
Replies Authoritatively

ghostrunner wrote:
Yeah it's terrible. There are no apolitical judges, for starters.

Or there are, but their objectivity is viewed as partisanship when on the SCOUTS, and their past practice on the bench is viewed by the Senate as partisanship during confirmation hearings.

To wit: Merrick Garland. Harvard educated undergrad, Harvard Law magna [expletive] laude, clerked SCOTUS under Brennan, was a corporate litigator and federal prosecutor. He sued to maintain mandatory seat belt laws to keep us safe, not much political there. He got out of private practice to try more cases and prosecuted drug traffickers. He worked on the Atlanta Olympics bombing, the Oklahoma City bombing (he demanded the death penalty for McVeigh and the other dude) and the Unabomber--high-profile terrorism-fighting stuff that conservatives should love.

What's political there, y'know? The political objection from the GOP was basically not that Garland was political--he wasn't--really, their objection was that he wasn't political. He wasn't an anti-abortion activist judge, or someone who would deny trans people rights, or any of the other crap they like. Garland wasn't appointed not because he's apolitical, but because the politicians who need to approve him are not.

PostPosted: June 3 19, 11:32 am 
Hall Of Famer

All of that is political. The fact that maybe he's relatively centrist (or is a little bit of both) doesn't change that. Even if he were magically free of politics in his decision making, under Buttigieg's plan political judges would decide on him based on politics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 143  Next