TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by 33anda3rd »

Not sure if this belongs in Movies or TV.

Deadwood movie was awesome. All the stuff people are feeling for GoT's ending I'm feeling the opposite with Deadwood. It very much met the hopes I had for it after a dozen years of waiting for it.
[SHOW]
The thing with Al getting dementia I'm sure parallels David Milch's own life, in which he's suffering from Alzheimer's, and that lent the Al stuff a lot of extra weight I thought. It was fun to see McShane playing Al slowed way down, kind of an observer more than a violent overseer. Also, Olyphant is an exponentially better actor than he was during the series.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

It was interesting how the dialog was just a tick more towards a weary, Shakespearean musicality than the show was. I felt like I was feeling the effects of the changes in Milch's cognitive condition. It was really sweet and powerful. Plenty of fan servicey moments like Bullock kicking the hell out of Hearst's men and then the mob falling on Hearst, but the best part was just time for each character to make peace with their story/lives.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

spoiler ahead...
[SHOW]
The funeral of Charlie Utter was extraordinary, a real tear-jerker, but Utter's Screw You speech to Hearst was even better.

Hearst: "My experience over time has come to be, customarily I am he who starts a negotiation. Names its finish, too."

Utter: "Maybe gettin' mother - [expletive] this morning, in the thoroughfare, by a woman in the bargain, has somewhat got your back up. Not the accolade you'd looked for, out your return to [expletive] camp."

Hearst: "Proffering that assessment, sir, is hardly your proper bailiwick."

Utter: "Far as that, I went and proffered it any - [expletive] - way."

Man, the language in that show. So so so great.
Also: shouts out to the team for getting Garret Dillahunt in there at the end. Nice little cookie for the Deadheads. Wait, that's taken. Hardwoods?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

33anda3rd wrote:spoiler ahead...
[SHOW]
The funeral of Charlie Utter was extraordinary, a real tear-jerker, but Utter's Screw You speech to Hearst was even better.

Hearst: "My experience over time has come to be, customarily I am he who starts a negotiation. Names its finish, too."

Utter: "Maybe gettin' mother - [expletive] this morning, in the thoroughfare, by a woman in the bargain, has somewhat got your back up. Not the accolade you'd looked for, out your return to [expletive] camp."

Hearst: "Proffering that assessment, sir, is hardly your proper bailiwick."

Utter: "Far as that, I went and proffered it any - [expletive] - way."

Man, the language in that show. So so so great.
Also: shouts out to the team for getting Garret Dillahunt in there at the end. Nice little cookie for the Deadheads. Wait, that's taken. Hardwoods?
I spotted Dillahunt in the crowd too...as big a bastard he was in the show (twice) it was still cool to see him getting snuck in there.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

The whole thing with Jane killing the Sheriff was really nicely done, right up to Joanie telling her she did it, not Wild Bill.

Doesn't feel right to me that Hearst gave up his bid at the auction. I suppose you're meant to think it was more than it was worth to him, or he's going to work on finding some other dirty way to get it done. Of course you can just run poles around land if you have to, though he could easily bid $10k like it was nothing. I think it'd be worth it to him to dominate everyone publicly. Didn't ruin it for me, but one of those things that felt like it happened just because they wrote it that way.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Jocephus wrote:
I don't want to get too hyperbolic here, but aside from Band of Brothers, I'm struggling to come up with a better HBO production than Chernobyl.

The story telling, the arcs, the acting, the cinematography, the music, etc. All damn good.

Like I said before the series started, this is what HBO does well: their documentaries and mini-series that recount and retell extraordinary events brilliantly.

About the only thing I didn't like was the end where they faked the courtroom scene. But, that's small potatoes. Everything else was great. I was worried at one point it was going to be an indictment of nuclear energy and the scientific community but it never devolved into anything close, imo. In the end, they point fingers all over the place including the soviet government, the design, the culture created by the bureaucracy, and the operators in the control room (at least the boss) and throughout the series show how it was the common people from the plant operators to the firefighters to the miners to the families that suffered from those decisions.

Now I can cancel HBO. Sweet.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

ghostrunner wrote:The whole thing with Jane killing the Sheriff was really nicely done, right up to Joanie telling her she did it, not Wild Bill.

Doesn't feel right to me that Hearst gave up his bid at the auction. I suppose you're meant to think it was more than it was worth to him, or he's going to work on finding some other dirty way to get it done. Of course you can just run poles around land if you have to, though he could easily bid $10k like it was nothing. I think it'd be worth it to him to dominate everyone publicly. Didn't ruin it for me, but one of those things that felt like it happened just because they wrote it that way.
Someone with his connections could have just public domained the rights to run the poles through there anyway; it was a weak subplot but really just a reason to try and make him look like an ass.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/c ... 203233833/
“Chernobyl,” HBO’s gritty and horrifying retelling of the worst nuclear disaster in history, has jumped to the No. 1 spot on IMDb’s all-time TV rankings just days after the limited series concluded.

As of Tuesday, “Chernobyl” had a 9.7-star (out of 10) average rating from about 140,000 users on the Amazon-owned IMDb site. The five-episode limited series finished its run on HBO Sunday, June 3.

For now, that puts the critically acclaimed “Chernobyl” ahead of AMC’s “Breaking Bad” (9.5), BBC’s “Planet Earth II” (9.5), HBO’s “Band of Brothers” (9.5), the original “Planet Earth” (9.4), HBO’s “Game of Thrones” (9.3) and HBO’s “The Wire” (9.3), according to IMDb’s ranking of TV shows.
I had no idea what the top shows were, and they make complete sense (though BOB should be an 11/10). Kind of interesting.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

kinda bummed to find out there won't be a second season of chernobyl