GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 22 19, 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: June 14 16, 3:29 pm 
Offline
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Posts: 50681
So you are saying if you suck soccer is the sport for you? Never thought of it like that, but yeah. I get that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 14 16, 3:32 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
Posts: 16903
jim wrote:
So you are saying if you suck soccer is the sport for you? Never thought of it like that, but yeah. I get that.


What other sport can you hide kids who are clumsy, have no hand-eye coordination, yet they can run around and seemingly have fun (if soccer's your thing), and not get hurt? Yep, you guessed it...soccer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 14 16, 6:24 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 37044
Location: Huis Clos
In HS it's xcountry


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 15 16, 10:46 am 
Offline
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Posts: 50681
lukethedrifter wrote:
In HS it's xcountry


Yes and no I would say. I agree that it is a sport where anyone can participate, and the athletes all accept and cheer that last kid coming in the open race. But, on the other side of the coin, you get the attendees of the event like me hitting their wife in the ribs and saying "Good lord look at this loser, he's like 10 minutes behind everyone else. They can't even start the next race because he can't get his fat ass across the finish line. Oh great, he's walking now. Gonna' be a here a while.".

No hiding when you are last in my eyes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 15 16, 12:41 pm 
Offline
Veteran Player

Joined: July 27 06, 6:18 pm
Posts: 1176
cardinalkarp wrote:
Spider John wrote:
When I was a kid soccer hadn't really taken off yet, so you either had baseball in the spring/summer, or you had nothing. I can't remember the last time I saw a bunch of kids playing a pickup game, or even out in the yard playing catch.

I wouldn't take anything for the time I spent playing baseball, be it league or neighborhood. I wish we'd had the opportunities to play that kids have now, like longer seasons and fall ball. As an adult who values his down time I have become more appreciative of coaches who give their time to coach.


I had a pretty decent sized back yard as a kid, but not nearly big enough to play baseball so like pretty much every kid who liked baseball we would play medium pitch speed from a spot that was about 40ft from the batters box. We played w/ tennis balls and doctored up wiffle ball bats that were stuffed w/ rags and taped. If you hit one good you would smash it into a huge tree at the far side of the neighbors yard. Played indian ball rules for the most part, since it was just 2 man teams. We tried to play where you ran bases and if the pitcher was able to field the ball cleanly he could fire the ball fire at the batter as he ran. That lasted all of a couple games before I got tagged in the eye by a throw.

Good times, good times.


We had a pretty good sized backyard but obviously couldn't play baseball in it, so I invented a game called monster ball where we used one of those giant plastic red hollow bats made for little kids and the ball was one of those large plastic balls from walmart filled with air. It was kind of a baseball/dodgeball hybrid, you could hit runners with the ball to get them our and we adjusted the basepath where 2nd base was in the outfield and we actually had scores that weren't too insane (like 18-15 or something like that). There was a fence into the neighbors yard that we had for homeruns, we would maybe get 1-2 a game, good thing, there were two vicious dogs next door and someone would have to distract them while someone else jumped the fence after the ball, kind of like the movie the sandlot.

It was crazy fun, had all kinds of neighbor kids that would come play. Amazing what games you can come up with when restricted by space.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 15 16, 1:16 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 11:04 pm
Posts: 7460
Location: Central AR
jim wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
In HS it's xcountry


Yes and no I would say. I agree that it is a sport where anyone can participate, and the athletes all accept and cheer that last kid coming in the open race. But, on the other side of the coin, you get the attendees of the event like me hitting their wife in the ribs and saying "Good lord look at this loser, he's like 10 minutes behind everyone else. They can't even start the next race because he can't get his fat ass across the finish line. Oh great, he's walking now. Gonna' be a here a while.".

No hiding when you are last in my eyes.


That's when the kid passes out and you feel like a total [expletive].


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 15 16, 2:05 pm 
Offline
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Posts: 50681
obucard wrote:
jim wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
In HS it's xcountry


Yes and no I would say. I agree that it is a sport where anyone can participate, and the athletes all accept and cheer that last kid coming in the open race. But, on the other side of the coin, you get the attendees of the event like me hitting their wife in the ribs and saying "Good lord look at this loser, he's like 10 minutes behind everyone else. They can't even start the next race because he can't get his fat ass across the finish line. Oh great, he's walking now. Gonna' be a here a while.".

No hiding when you are last in my eyes.


That's when the kid passes out and you feel like a total [expletive].


I'm probably sipping on a nice Tall Grande Ice Skim Latte with extra cream from Starbucks while that loser can't get up. I'm good. I feel great.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 30 16, 3:04 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 24486
Friend of my son's is putting together a pick up game on Saturday. Which means it's not really a pick up game, but all the same...nice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 5 19, 7:26 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 20100
Location: Low A Minors
So when I was a kid we had 2 leagues that each had 8 to 10 teams in the 13-14 year old age group (Pony League back then). At some point those two leagues dissolved and they were replaced by Babe Ruth league, which is 13, 14 and 15 year olds. The 50% larger age group gave them enough kids to have 1 league of 8 teams. This season, more than half the league is 15 year olds who won't be back next year. With luck the league will be able to come back with 4 or 6 teams next year. Youth baseball outside of travel ball is on its last legs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 5 19, 11:59 am 
Offline
Single A Minor League Player

Joined: May 18 19, 12:58 pm
Posts: 14
Baseball is a slow moving kind of game. Hockey and basketball are fast moving up and down, back and forth. Do you think most offices will have a bracket pool for the CWS tourney next week in Omaha? But people are maniacs for NCAA bracket pools and NFL fantasy football.

Baseball is what it is and I'm against MLB further expanding and watering down the product. As far as soccer goes, I have no use for any sport that lets games end in a 0-0 tie. I'd sooner watch paint dry than watch soccer. Or golf.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], InvincibleCakeEater, NDark and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group