wart57
just can't quit you.

Re: 6/10 GDT: Cardinals(Wacha)@Marlins(Alcantara) 6PM CT

Post by wart57 »

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Jocephus wrote:i don't care about the differences between the two. you might not believe it but sometimes reporters have to hold on reporting details that they have, for a variety of reasons. i don't know why people expect goold to be a gossip columnist or to blow the top off on the "dewitt money making medicrity" plan. you think langosch is better? great.
I know the job of a reporter. This started because you didn't think Goold should bring up Mo's contract. By not mentioning it, he tows the line, and ultimately operates in bad faith (something I didn't see from Langosch). Granted this is one small example. I don't get why you dismiss/mind read. He's been called out on Twitter for his bad faith arguments (some I agree with, but not all)--no reason to think he doesn't do it a little in his reporting. Let me guess, his slow-to-the-punch reporting is because he was stowing away all of these great insights for "other reasons" or whatever?

I get that he has to massage certain people in the Cardinals' org to get information/retain clubhouse access, and I get that he needs to report a certain way to maintain that access, but at a certain point he becomes their mouthpiece, intentionally or not, and that's where you can either be like, "yipee I love reactive reporting and waiting for all the facts" or you can follow reporters that actually try to publicize what a powerful org like the Cardinals is doing behind the scenes--thus the definition of journalism. He's not the columnist. He's not the gossip guy (already established) but he can report better. Derrick Goold sounds like a j-school guy who's bitter he has to cover sports half the time.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Big Amoco Sign wrote: I get that he has to massage certain people in the Cardinals' org to get information/retain clubhouse access, and I get that he needs to report a certain way to maintain that access, but at a certain point he becomes their mouthpiece, intentionally or not, and that's where you can either be like, "yipee I love reactive reporting and waiting for all the facts" or you can follow reporters that actually try to publicize what a powerful org like the Cardinals is doing behind the scenes--thus the definition of journalism. He's not the columnist. He's not the gossip guy (already established) but he can report better. Derrick Goold sounds like a j-school guy who's bitter he has to cover sports half the time.
This sums up my thinking on him, too. If I thought he was doing anything with the access he was so determined to hang on to, I'd understand, but what great insight or story no-one else was able to get has Goold gotten from this "massaging"?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i don't care about the differences between the two. you might not believe it but sometimes reporters have to hold on reporting details that they have, for a variety of reasons. i don't know why people expect goold to be a gossip columnist or to blow the top off on the "dewitt money making medicrity" plan. you think langosch is better? great.
I know the job of a reporter. This started because you didn't think Goold should bring up Mo's contract. By not mentioning it, he tows the line, and ultimately operates in bad faith (something I didn't see from Langosch). Granted this is one small example. I don't get why you dismiss/mind read. He's been called out on Twitter for his bad faith arguments (some I agree with, but not all)--no reason to think he doesn't do it a little in his reporting. Let me guess, his slow-to-the-punch reporting is because he was stowing away all of these great insights for "other reasons" or whatever?

I get that he has to massage certain people in the Cardinals' org to get information/retain clubhouse access, and I get that he needs to report a certain way to maintain that access, but at a certain point he becomes their mouthpiece, intentionally or not, and that's where you can either be like, "yipee I love reactive reporting and waiting for all the facts" or you can follow reporters that actually try to publicize what a powerful org like the Cardinals is doing behind the scenes--thus the definition of journalism. He's not the columnist. He's not the gossip guy (already established) but he can report better. Derrick Goold sounds like a j-school guy who's bitter he has to cover sports half the time.
i didn't start a GD thing BAS, never came close to suggesting that and you know it (but thanks for lumping that on me). i only said/implied he must not think the contract details mean much right now, if he didn't bring it up. or its possible he forgot (which wouldn't indicate anything about his motives/thought process anyways). i'm sorry but just because you come across a thought doesn't mean you are right. you are the one that thinks mo's contract means something at this juncture.

perhaps the dispatch needs a bernie who can yell and scream and point fingers and throw out a meaty narrative that angry/upset/disillusioned fans can point to, agree and retweet to as their savior.

goold reads to me as a guy who writes about the wins and losses and tries to explain the perspective that the FO/management/owner follows. he's not there to add his opinions necessarily. i can appreciate/respect that (as it seems like what journalism is supposed to be). i take no joy in being the "goold defender" but some peoples expectations are way out of whack w/r/t him. you're definition of journalism is investigative reporting which is not goold's job. he's the beat reporter. and what do you mean "bitter he has to cover sports half the time"? he covers the baseball team all the time.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

You came and you gave without taking
But we sent you away
Oh, Sandy

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Ozuna with a hit off of Alcantara. We won the trade.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Ozuna with a hit off of Alcantara. We won the trade.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

The bottom half of this lineup is ... not good.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

jagtrader wrote:The bottom half of this lineup is ... not good.
Neither is the top or Middle lately...

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:You came and you gave without taking
But we sent you away
Oh, Sandy
Bravo!